"Abusing Role Queue" - a problem, and something I heard today

First of all, I’m not a fan of role-queue to begin with because of adaptability reasons, queue times, fun, etc. But something I heard in a top 500 game yesterday was interesting - we had a dps on mccree that wasn’t doing that great, and some guy started giving him crap for “abusing role queue.” He said the guy wasn’t a dps main but was placed higher as dps because he was higher SR in past seasons playing other roles, and that’s just where it placed him. So I called him out saying “what, if this guy wants to play dps, he just can’t now?” And the response I got from him and others was “yes.” How messed up is that?

The ability for the OW system to gauge SR for other roles even if you don’t play them does not seem good enough currently to handle these kinds of situations. People being locked into playing 1 role is really bad, because it restricts options on what someone wants to play even more than role queue does in the first place.

I can only think that blizzard could try putting a role-queue queue option and a classic queue option, and have separate ranks for each, though this might split the playerbase, it’s already splitting the player base as it is, and it’s really just not as fun anymore to play this game. Once meta focuses into what’s most optimal to gain SR, you’ll just see the same heroes every game, instead of experimental comps, (fun comps), etc. Like some other posters have said, if you have a weak spot in your team now, you can’t help them by switching, you just have to go “this is a loss” and move on. It was NOT like that before, pretty tragic.

3 Likes

I feel the same. I’m Diamond capable on my support (haven’t grinded my way back up there in awhile), but not the others. I felt okay finishing placements on tank, I don’t think I’d climb but I can hang. DPS though, I’ve only done two placements because I felt like I was soft throwing. It’s too bad, pursuing dps and getting better was a really appealing part of role queue, but messing up games until you get where you belong feels horrible.

probably because its still in beta

2 Likes

to be fair, that’s one of the stated problems of the Beta season.
The game simply doesn’t have enouhg data to place you correctly and the beta season’s objective is to gather enough data.

The way ranked measured your SR after placements was bull**** all the time or at least for a long time now. It depends way to much on luck. And if you propose a hard reset everyone goes berserk.

This is why I won’t play the Beta season. I mean, I’d probably enjoy it with all the different skill leveled people going at it, but with the way the system works (we all know how it works and its flaws by now), the best thing to do is let as many people as possible stumble through the rankings, then when the real season starts, you won’t get such a wild discrepancy.

I only wish that the ranking system wasn’t so easily fooled, in either direction. My goal is to stick in bronze and hope some smurfs come down and play with me. The good news is that with 3 different placements, I can pick my lowest and stick with that.

Because a hard reset would take all the problems we’re having, and make them be present for every role for every person, and 100 times worse.

Resets are always bad. Blizzard tested it. Everyone agreed on the Overwatch team that it was a horrible idea. See the video.

If Blizzard has no data on a role, they should start players at a lower MMR than the roles they do have data for.

Until then, the only solution for players is to play/throw on off roles until their MMR is correct.

It isn’t players’ fault that Blizzard screwed up initial placements.

I agree with this, though honestly, I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I managed to tank my DPS SR very fast and get to where I belong.

I think people are putting undo emphasis on this (but I agree they should’ve just started you low if they have no data).

On a personal level, I understand both sides. On one hand, you should expect everyone to be an equal component. On the other, anyone should be able to press play and enjoy the game in any game mode, as long as they’re putting in solid effort in comp.

So you want the system to have less data on you to missplace you.
Ok then.

I have been placed correctly: All three roles in Bronze. My fellow team-mates / US Server / are all capable. My team-enemies EU are 50 smurfs, 20 percent trolls.
US Server is so much better…

5 placements just isnt enough unless it starts to adjust players more aggressively based on performance.

That’s what I was thinking. So your not going to take these free game to test out the new changes and hero and give the game some hard data so come Season 18 you get placed properly?

I mean if you want to ruin your own Season 18 be my guest. It’s comments like these that convince me these problems will persist into Season 18.

These same posters will come back saying “WTF why am I not being placed properly?!”

You, obviously, don’t understand the system from what you said.

Shockingly, perhaps 5 games of data is not enough to accurately place people.