⚠ Broken False Report System, fix it

Broken and Abused Report System

Blizzard your Report Player is a majorly abused system where people often times get falsely accused and punished. The Report System needs to be addressed . You guys need to temporarily remove or make the report system a priority system such as hackers and actual people with major intention to throw and cost games. Your report because of throwing or toxic players is too often abused and is broken.

I’ve heard, seen stories, and watched players online get punished for no reason at all. I have even had this be the 3rd incident of false reports and I am honestly contemplating to just mute chat all together that way if I am punished again that is on your company, not me. I have never in any video game, but only Overwatch have experienced such a frustrating Report System that doesn’t work properly and does the exact opposite of its intended use.

Blizzard, I mean all respect to you guys, but you gotta remove this broken Report System that is so often abused.

Reasons why Players get falsely reported

1. It is too easy to report. Trigger happy anger.
  2. Playing torb on attack is toxic and throwing. Playing a hero Blizzard created, then being punished by it.
  3. Groups easily abuse this as a trigger happy mechanic. You anger a group, and you are done for as you get spammed false reports.
  4. You anger someone the SLIGHTEST or you are the SLIGHTEST reason for costing a competitive match, people with spam you on the mic in anger saying its your fault for throwing. Trigger happy mechanic.
  5. The more you play Overwatch, the more you will stack false reports. Your death is inevitable fate you cannot escape.
  6. You cannot defend yourself. If you tell someone is wrong that you are not throwing it does not matter. False report. Try to explain you just made a simple mistake, they don’t care. They judge your entire performance off a simple mistake then continue to trash talk your profile border then your profile hours / winrates.
  7. One bad guy on the mic will scapegoat then everyone believes that idiot. If a guy talks trash saying your throwing and calls you out, and you dont have a mic to talk back. Everyone just false reports you believing that idiot. Then your punished for no reason yet again.

Possible Solutions

• Make it hard to report people. Rather than a trigger happy rush of anger mechanic. Make it difficult. Make them have to exit the game to navigate to report someone as the effort should only be worth it if they truly mean it, not a false report off basic simple frustration, because you dont like someone.
  • Actually make a functioning Report System that is reviewed and watched? If not then only save the Report System for hackers or hardcore intentional throwers. Toxic players can be blocked, muted, and avoided.
14 Likes

If this was true there would be no gold portrait players.

1 Like

I’ve seen pro players get suspended, because people like trolling and abusing the report system. You get punished for playing the game often as it means you will have more chances to meet players who get frustrated or troll that abuse report system.

I’ve gotten punished where I feel many false report me, and I have seen pro players get punished off troll reports.

I am posting this, because I am suspended account, and the last match I was in was a guy falsly accusing me being toxic and trash talking me. So during the end of that match I got suspended.

I am fed up with this report system and I have never had a video game til Overwatch where I get these silly punishments.

I dont deserve this suspension.

6 Likes

The flag system on the forums is also massively used wrong and the mercy mega thread is the prime example of it.

since the 16th of this month its been locked constantly because of false flags and about 10 minutes after being unlocked its false flagged again and again and again.

4 Likes

Yeah, I liked CS-GO report / punishment system way better than Overwatch.

Overwatch feels like a half-finished report system. When I played CS-GO I remmember decent punishment system as in leaving competitive matches had a stack up / reset as in it was a day, few days, a week, a month (etc)… but it would reset.

In Overwatch you get punished for leaving matches that aren’t competitive, and you get punished for a broken Report System that is abused off a rush of anger.

Developers seriously need to fix the Reporting System. I’ve seen it used on INSANE occasion of a trigger happy anger or troll abused system.

3 Likes

Being a pro exposes you to two things: Jealousy and fame. Both of those can contribute to false reports… this is true.

However your average player who simply plays the game everyday runs very little risk of being banned just for playing.

I’m not going to ask you for clarification on what your ban was but i will say you probably have a good idea how it happened and know that you can do something to avoid further bans:
Not commenting on players ability , even constructively
Not telling others that they need to switch/change
Not playing a “trash” tier character all the time (trash being the communities assessment, I personally like all the heroes) .
Not doing anything excessive/loud on voice chat beyond actual game relevant conversation.

All of these are very subjective but if you take a moment you can probably spot which one people are reporting you for and stop it.

I have been playing since beta as well as many of my friends and not a single one has gotten banned or even silenced…

Now to be fair there must be false reports, I’m not saying they don’t happen or people don’t get punished for them, but with any system there is a margin for error/abuse and eliminating that may not be worth the cost/effort to blizz.

But you probably know WHY you’re getting reported… easiest thing to change is your own behavior.

Also:

yet another thing you’re doing that may result in action.

This is so far from the truth.

I often times dont talk to anyone, only use chat, and it happens so often where I get pushed and trash talked. I don’t talk about players performance I leave them alone one whatever they pick. I never tell someone they need to switch. I dont play picks too much like Torb, but on rare occasion I will pick him and play him with intention to win, but I know those are false reports anyways. I dont talk on the mic, I only type in chat.

All of the stuff you said does not apply to me, or the majority of the things you said does not apply to me.

Often times I am pushed, provoked, bullied, trash talked at, and false reported. Also about the Blizzard thing, thats just a simple mistake.

If it wasn’t true than everyone would eventually get banned/silenced. It is provably true that the average player over so many hours is still playing.

The average player doesn’t one-trick, doesn’t play a lot of off-meta, caves when their team harasses them, does not play comp (or at least not much), and does not play a lot. So it actually is pretty dead-on.
Yes this is a serious issue but it does not affect the majority of players, or at least not very frequently.

I still dont even know what I did wrong. I got a small hint of an idea, but I am lost seriously. The way I got punished was even shady.

I’m pretty sure Blizzard uses a white-list system for accounts that participated in the beta.

As for something with a bit more substance, I’m really good at reading people and finding out what triggers them. If I play normally, I run the risk of triggering someone 85% of the time, and that results in a report 3/4 times. I can be very gentle and play Mercy and swap to Moira when someone is very quiet on mic only when I say my ultimate is charging. But no one wants to play that way. No one wants to play like they’re giving people therapy just so you don’t get banned. I’ve been suspended/punished many times already; I know how to change my behavior, but honestly, if I’m just being myself, not being toxic/causing a stir, playing what I want to play, that doesn’t mean I deserve to get banned.

1 Like

The reporting system is broken …. I get reported again and again for playing Sombra/Symmetra and there is no option for reporting people who falsely report you.

3 Likes

I’m not judging you, I’m trying to point out that whether or not it’s right in your own moral code it still can contribute and finding out these things you’re doing to contribute would benefit you.

The blizzard thing was something you should have known, but you never read that post and didn’t… but it could have gotten you removed from these forums. It would have seemed ultimately unfair to you since how could you have known that?

I highly suggest you don’t discuss your punishment in detail here as that is also a nono on the forums.

It’s not perfect, not even close. I agree. But most of the population isn’t slowly working their way towards banning.

That would be a large mistake. Just because I logged in before the game released to play a free game I get a pass? …

how does that make sense?

It doesn’t make sense to me either. :man_shrugging:

I’ve just seen things that suggest they actually do white-list beta participants. For one, all old (Overwatch) accounts I’ve seen, never get banned, despite playing Symmetra, or another off-meta hero.

Pretty sure Ima just mute chat and never talk. This is the 3rd time I have been wrongly accused. I appreciate the feedback with suggestions, but wont change that their report system is screwed.

I do get mad and frustrated when I am pushed, but on rare occasion will I do something stupid, most of the times its I am pushed, and then I get false reported for trying to defend myself.

Suspended til Aug 11, at 11:48 pm.

but you know, sure blizzard workers will hit me up with that “our evidence shows…” bot message, even though its more likely Report System is just an auto ban system of keywords like toxic, thrower (etc).

2 Likes

Where would you get that idea then?

It’s true though. I am a victim of it 3 times.

2 Likes

That sounds like you have an idea of what’s happening at least and have a plan to make it stop happening. That sounds good… but rather than shutting yourself off I would suggest doing some LFG to find like minded and chill players who aren’t gonna throw reports.

But in the end you do you and I hope your experience improves.

You are not everyone. I do not know your story (and honestly wouldn’t believe you if you told me nor do I want to hear it because that will get this thread closed/removed) but I can say you represent less than a % of a % of the playerbase. Your and my experience = not even a data point.

If there was an epidemic of people being banned after playing so long you’d think it’d turn up on reddit somewhere, or there would be no accounts past a certain playtime logged… but there are still people who’ve played since the beginning, log hours a day and are still on.