About the "PvE Experiences"

Beware, long rant incoming.

From the few information we had before today’s announcements, I assumed OW2 would be a full price game Left 4 Dead/Back 4 Blood style. Meaning it would feature:

• A complete story campaign
  • All the new characters featured in said campaign and all playable characters skill trees
  • Many PvE maps and their PvP version
  • The free PvP and shaders upgrade for all OW1 owners.

I would have been happy to buy that.

Now instead, not only has the mystery of “why is it taking so long” been unveiled: They’ve been developing a Battlepass system, focusing their resources on those useless charms, banners and “Legendary” skins instead of finishing the PvE ; But they’ve also decided to split and stack the PvE campaign to milk it through the Battlepass instead of releasing it in one go.

I am so disappointed. I hate those “Free” to Play games and their Battlepasses that are awfully time-consuming and I feel even more predatory than lootboxes. Now you can be sure some cosmetics will be impossible to get unless you pay, which wasn’t the case with OW’s lootboxes.

But the worst will be to wait again month after month to get crumbs of lore.

Eh, I guess I should have seen it coming with the joke that is Diablo Immortal’s monetization system.

4 Likes

I was also most looking forward to the PvE. It is sad that it will be drip fed. I can only hope with this new system for releasing PvE content with their seasonal cadence that it isn’t locked behind the premium battle pass. I suspect it will be as so many people were looking forward to it and they will make more essentially charging people $10 per released segment, potentially paying $300 for a standard 8-10hr campaign rather than the normal $60.

I hope we get a huge flush of story content, 10-15 fully-fledged levels at the very least, along with a huge slew of those hero missions. They have said that the campaign, similar to Halo Infinite, will be paid for separately, and I sure hope that’s still the case. They seem to be very proud with what they’ve been working on, and look forward to bringing it to us. Unfortunately, the push from AB, and the growing impatience of the fans has lead to this.

They haven’t said how/if the PvE will be monetized yet.

Those charms and stuff don’t take that much resources