About the cinematic

sooo OOooOooOo with the name change will they like…reedit the reunion cinematic and there’s a few times people call Mcree, Jesse, like echo and stuff.

It will just be a change moving forward. They aren’t going to change old media. Maybe the voicelines, but comics and shorts. They stay as is.

3 Likes

Reason why I saved the cinematics so far. :wink:

They aren’t changing anything of the old media.

1 Like

Randy revolver

Been a while, you promised you’d write

3 Likes

lLMFAO FREAKING RANDY REVOLVER I CAN’T HAHAHAH

How about

Jessy Macrie?

Huehuehuehue

Tbh its a win win!
Different from the original name spelling yet sounds exaclty the same as the old one!

Other options

• Jezi Machrie
  • JC Makree
  • Jesie Machree

Alright ill stop now.

No i think that that andy guy (community manager i guess) said in another thread that they will only focus on new stuff, all the old cinematics will stay unaltered.

But ofc they will fix voice lines and stuff like that as well

1 Like

I imagine the way they’ll go about it is to write that “Jesse McCree” was an alias. Everyone in the OW universe finds out that his real name is Percival Quince, and now they all call him that instead. That way, all the old stuff where he’s McCree isn’t “wrong” as such.

Basically you’re looking for a Dick Grayson from Batman, where he was once Robin and is now Nightwing. or the equivalent of a Gabriel Reyes / Reaper

maybe you’re suggesting that the cowboy says “no, I’m not McCree anymore. I’m [insert name]”. or that in the end his name is Joel, and from then on they all call him that forever.

but honestly there is a big problem here: the type of retcon they want to apply. they hinted that they won’t change the old media for some obvious editorial problems, but what if in the future there will be other stories referring to before Ow2? an archive mission, a mini-story, a comic from the old Overwatch, the precise explanation of how he lost his arm … considering that the name Mccree appears in one of the most remote contents (the book Deadlock Rebels, surpassed only from Honor & Glory and Echo Origins):

• if they apply the new name, they create a chronological paradox of the names used, having a precise time frame of the old name.
  • if they apply the old name, the community is led to wonder why to baste all this importance on censorship by further delaying the development of OW2.

even if they will change the dubbing to Retribution it is a problem, because we have the comics archives that refer to him as “McCree”. in short, we are forced to see the media paradox, unfortunately it is so in any angle.

I imagine that in any cutscenes dealing with the past, they’ll simply avoid calling him by name. If the scene really needs another character to call him something, they’ll just use “cowboy” or “ingrate” (I think that’s how Reaper refers to him in that R66 voice line) or whatever.

does leave door open a bit for cinematics…but unclear if they would redo those voice lines (i dont think there are MANY)…theyre clearly redoing voice lines for the actual game…redoing voice lines for cinematics doesnt seem far fetched…i imagine they can do at same time (and its just a audio file change no(?) for cinematics)

Lmao Randy Revolver takes the cake for the funniest name I’ve seen yet.