A very bitter night of Overwatch last night

I really liked the number system for S1 :roll_eyes: The only thing I disliked about S1 was the coin clip thing, that was silly, so if you were unlucky to be defense… yeah lmaao. I never played S2 because I thought the 1st season with the coin flip was so bad that I went back to TF2 for a while.

WyomingMyst is a pillar of this community… maybe this post will have legs. Upvote.

2 Likes

It has been my philosophy that if you pay to participate, you should only be allowed one account, and one copy of the game. I figured that it would be easy enough since the system should have cookies which can be detected on the server side. I realize that not everyone likes cookies due to privacy / security concerns, but this is the way it has to be. No, you don’t have to accept cookies. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. However, if you’re not accepting cookies, you don’t get to play, period. Every action has a consequence. If you try to purchase another copy of OW or another account, those should not be activated.

Further, any attempt to cheat in the above manner should be treated as fraud, a felony criminal offense in the USA (or however that works for your country of residence). That comes not only with fines but jail time as well.

Sorry to be a hard-nosed person, but it’s the only way to clamp down on this nonsense.

4 Likes

Yea, GL with that, lol. This is blizzard after all.

2 Likes

It’s been so long since I had any good interaction in OW that I actually enabled Parental Controls on my account and permanently silenced myself. Now I can’t say anything back to the people with 20 accounts who spew hate and abuse all match long. Neither can I see or hear anything they say. It’s bliss.

It should be easier to self-silence than this.

The core issue with “smurfing” is that someone with multiple accounts gives very little value to each one except maybe their “main” that they protect. I, however, only have one account and I’m not going to buy another one. That means that what I stand to lose is much more valuable and unique than what the trolls and griefers stand to lose. It’s always going to be in their favor, so long as there is no reliable method of associating all of someone’s alt accounts together as a single user. No “smurf” would be abusive and leave matches if the fate of his “main” was at stake.

2 Likes

You know there’s something up when WyomingMyst starts talking about it.

2 Likes

If this became a thing then they better make a unranked mode where solo queue people can still play for competitive points. I like others enjoy getting the gold skins for heroes we like but don’t enjoy competitive modes. I stick to just doing placement matches and that’s all.

I’d def be in favor of restoring QPC to full status and making a 2/2/2 unranked with some MM, the comp ruleset, and leaver penalties.

This is one of the reasons comp on consoles is dead to me. I report a toxic player who gets actioned against and they jump onto another account. Doing the song and dance and it gets sickening.

It discourages even playing the mode because you notice it far more the longer you play.

Put short “I’d rather fight with Golds on pc (I’m climbing, just don’t have time to play comp, much less all three roles) then play with Diamonds on console because they’d just throw and jump onto another account and evade any true punishment.”

3 Likes

Honestly ditching the whole concept of “countering” would solve not only Seraph’s problem but a whole host of other problems with the game, and that includes toxicity

How much of the toxicity in game and on the forums comes from, correctly or not, the conception that certain heroes are “broken” because they counter too many things, or have no realistic counters themselves etc

Then you have the endless campaigning by certain hero mains to make sure that their counters get nerfed etc

I spent most of the evening tonight playing Unreal Tournament. Just about every time I died, I could pinpoint exactly how I screwed up and it felt like my deaths were deserved

A lot of the time when I play Overwatch it feels like my deaths were preordained by the hero select screen. That is sure to promote a toxic attitude

5 Likes

I play on console and I’m at my wits end with smurfs and the fact that nothing seems to be done about them.

I’m in high silver/low gold across all 3 roles on PS4 and there’s a masters player that I regularly run into in comp who throws every single game they’re in. I’ve seen this person so many times just over the past few weeks. They’re on their main account (silver border, lots of good skins and gold weapons) and their career profile is open (so you can plainly see their season highs of 3600-ish) which says to me they aren’t even remotely afraid of being banned. This person must have been reported many, many times and yet I’m STILL seeing them and they’re still continuing this behaviour.

2 Likes

Unfortunatly the “solution” I am seeing is that more and more of my friends are getting frustrated and simply moving on to other games

5 Likes

This is the number one issue with Overwatch. Number2 being the automated report system (not the penalties, but certifying reports). Not balance changes, not hero bans, not OWL hype, not icon sorting, not experimental games, not crunch time.

The most pressing, central issue is ladder design and matchmaking integrity, with queue times and 222 also polarizing and alienating the population.

Offer a seasonal buy-in for premium status. $10 for the 3month season ($3.33/month). Prioritize the best servers, match premium comp accnts with premium comp accnts, and require SMS/phone or HardwareID/buildinfo to limit premium to basically 1 account per PC.

For that price you get increased human-level support for policing/enforment of ladder integrity. Maybe you even get prioritized matchmaking (queue time reduction).

In a premium model you might have seasonal ‘resets’, where everyone grinds from the ground-up. But the ground is some kind of gold-equivalent. Win-out early on to warpzone up, the way a micro-tournament works (winners of winners bracket, loosers of loosers bracket, etc).

Far more mobility and progression this way, with a lot of burner accounts being gated out of the comp experience.

3 Likes

I think they should consider raising the level from 25 to 200 to play comp

10 Likes

Instead of a full reset, maybe instead make a partial? Let’s say that you would start a tier below where you ended the previous season. That means that Diamonds will start in Plat, Plats in Gold, Gold in Silver etc.
All in Master+ should start at Diamond (3000).

This will ensure that people will have some climbing to do. They will feel the progression, and first in mid-season will they hit the wall, that can be so frustrating. It will also ensure, that people that don’t belong at the higher tier for whatever reason (not the least boosting), will have to prove themselves by climbing again.

I would be very much in favor of Stops where you couldn’t fall. I am just afraid that it would be complete chaos around the Stops, as people would have nothing to lose.

For the self-silence, you can ctrl-shift-c to suppress chat and you can set it so you never join voice chat.

Not perfect but the keybind does last all match

It doesn’t sound like the problem here is multiple accounts. You can’t and shouldn’t stop people buying multiple accounts. It also doesn’t sound like a normal smurf is a problem because they should just rank up and be our of your way quickly.

If the problem is people are sabotaging games with no disregard for the consequences because they can just buy a new account, why are accounts banned and not players?

If i have 3 accounts and i get a player ban, why aren’t all my accounts banned so i actually cannot play. Surely your OW install has some kind of UID that can be passed around the accounts you play and enforce the ban? Hardware addresses?

If there are rules that don’t actually have a consequence when broken, they aren’t really rules.

6 Likes

Yes, but I can hit Esc and rejoin chat. If I silence myself with Parental Controls, I can’t undo it quickly. I recently got suspended for a week because I called out aimbotting and boosting and got mass-reported. No more of that. It’s just me and the game now.

3 Likes

There’s hardly a problem here. Very easy to detect, warrants strong punishments, perhaps immediate account banning. If you could tie such smurfs to main accounts going after those is warranted too. Consoles are asinine or maybe how OW handles them. The actual problem that’s difficult to handle with multiple accounts is of a different nature.

1 Like

I start to give up on it… One player can ruin a game whatever you play, even if the whole roster is your hero pool, even if you play outstandingly, one thrower in your team or a smurf in the enemy team can ruin a whole match. The cheaters are more blatant than ever. Not even flicking, but the crosshair teleporting to the enemies heads, players straight walking to enemies behind walls without their team having wallhack abilities, and their numbers are growing rapidly. Bot and boosting services are being marketed on Social Media in front of everyone without searching to it yet they dont even try to take it off. There are very well talented people stuck in lower ranks. I’ve seen silvers and golds with the skill of diamonds yet they never were able to climb even with them having the game from years.

The Devs have to do something ASAP. The MMR system is in ruins. The number of cheaters and abusers are growing every day. Putting a band aid on it doesnt help.

9 Likes