A strange theory about Reinhardt's lore

in my exploration of the Overwatch lore I noticed another curious thing on this twitter:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1115283271124959233?

there is talk of wanting to avoid sending the team after what happened with Reinhardt. From the dialogues of the Storm Rising event we know that Reinhardt has stepped aside for an unpleasant event. The most common hypothesis is that with Sojourn on communications, we intuit that Rein is depressed about Ana’s “death”, probably recently.

but what if it were not so? if something specific happened? maybe a rant from Reinhardt after losing Ana with its forced leave before Petras’s act? I think so for the voiceline between Sombra and Brigitte, where he implies that he doesn’t know the whole truth about Reinhardt’s retirement.

in all the readings on Sombra, we know that she is a great manipulator, but she is never a person who gives out unreliable information. the only reason she might have said it could be the “famous explosion” of the Swiss base or Blackwatch, but it would be strange: the Overwatch scandals and its demise are public knowledge, Brigitte should know.

I know I have very weak clues to speculate on, but it might be interesting to fully interpret Sombra’s words, especially with the recent voicelines with Baptiste pre-announcing Mauga.

3 Likes

It’s likely that Reinhardt was the lead on a mission that ended badly, leading to him being forced to retire.

3 Likes

I think Brigg had this interaction:

“Why are you returning to Overwatch. After what they did to you”
" I have been called. I must anwser the call".

We know before Overwatch fell he was retired. I suspect it was after London Uprising - he was chief officer on ground, so even after they saved the day, UK got on OW case because they ignored order of staying down and leaving things in British hands.

So Jack had to push blame to Rein to avoid fruther troubles in UN and forced him to retire.

2 Likes

Jack doesn’t seem like the kind of person who would put the blame on someone else. He would take responsibility for the mission himself.

4 Likes

I found a more logical explanation for reinhardt’s depression, which can be seen in the official biography: forced retirement due to man’s age.

However, the question of Sombra remains open. It could be that Reinhardt acted in an Overwatch operation despite him not having permission.

Yes. I remember in Bastet, Ana has talked about sending Rein to Prague for a stealth mission.

Other thing noticed is the interaction between Rein and Doom. They have fought with each other and Rein won at some point of the lore.

1 Like

I don’t think it was Prague - Jack and Ana were on that mission too. It was probably during the Crisis.

The mission Reinhardt botched would have been recent, after Uprising but before Storm Rising.

4 Likes

I know I am grasping here but maybe he was forced to discipline his soldiers by UN and Rein took all the blame?

But Uprising was a success - I don’t think they’d force punishment on them for a successful mission, even if it was disobeying orders. That sort of thing would fall on Morrison alone.

1 Like

Well that not really how this works. It was clear violation of UK independance. Overwatch runed millitary operation in country that opposed their intervention while being investigated for doing illegal millitary operations.
UN could see it from strict legal point.

2 Likes