A simple fix for backfill

When backfilling a game, always take someone who won their last game.

This way, you can’t have backfill artificially extend losing streaks and in general make people miserable.

It also eliminates the possibility of multiple sequential backfills while not reducing the backfill pool too badly.

Or don’t backfill if there is x amount of time left.
For example, like 10 seconds. You might be able to get to the point, if you’re lucky. So there’s really no point in backfilling at that point.

2 Likes

Meh.

Early backfills aren’t great either. They just take longer before you inevitably lose.

It depends on where you come into the game.
I had a quite memorable game where a Mercy came into Numbani. We were defense and the payload was at the building at the end with the tiny health pack. Because of her, we were able to turn the game around and actually win.

I’ve been put into similar games.
Backfill =/= guaranteed loss

2 Likes

Hell no, we should do the opposite. We should reward people who can stick through a game, not convince them to throw.

2 Likes

With the priority queue it’s no longer a burden or a slap-in-the-face-lol as it used to be, but yes, this could be a thing.

2 Likes

I mean… mostly it is. You know it is.

The amount of times that I’ve literally backfilled into the defeat screen is ridiculous. It’s so pointless.

1 Like

I love backfilling and getting that distinct feeling of singlehandedly turning the tide. If it happens on a warm-up game before ranked, I pity the fools that get to go up against me. They be comin’ ere to complain 'bout the match’aker right afta.

3 Likes

Sure not all are going to be wins, but that doesn’t mean it’s a guaranteed loss.
I just had a backfill in my last game. And we won.

If they took out games like that, the number of defeats would go way down.

My main gamemode is Mystery Heroes. If we don’t get like 3 backfills each game, something is wrong.

It’s maybe one in twenty, on a good day.

I’m keeping track.
When I have more games played (right now it’s 2) I’ll post them.
I’m playing Mystery Heroes.

Easy fix for backfill? Leaving without penalty.
I won many backfilling matches though.

1 Like

How is that a fix?
That would just cause more people to leave.
Usually when it’s a “fix” you want to lessen or get rid of it. Not worsen it.

So I just played 5 games.
Of the 5, there was one backfill.
But it happened before the game even started. There were around 10 seconds on the timer before it started, and they were attacking on Numbani. Which basically made it a new game, especially since it’s mystery heroes and they don’t have to chose a character.
Their team lost tho.

So I’m not sure how to categorize that…
I mean, it’s technically a backfill.
But at the same time they played the entire game.

I’ll play some more tomorrow.
It’s 2:33 AM here and I’m starting to zone out.
'Night all!

I wish backfill games didn’t count as a loss. It sucks to look at my replay screen and see all green but the one red that I came into down 4v6 last checkpoint with 7:13 left to defend lol.

Last I checked, it’s not counted in stats.

1 Like

OR even better yet… give us the option to backfill or not

Just terminate Quickplay matches like regular comp matches and punish leavers with waiting times.

At the moment it can be worthwhile for a player not to finish a game.

There is a quite horrendous oversight with backfills.
If you don’t have background sounds on and you have alt tabbed to youtube or something, your first and only notification about a match is the 10 seconds afk kick alert.

1 Like