A Quick Tip for Killing Ana/Hanzo/Lucio/Tracer/Sombra with Reaper

Aim for their crotch. That may seem wierd, but with the way their hitboxes are, you actually have more area to work with in their lower bodies than upper body.
I’m talking of course in the 2.5 meter and beyond range.

Which feels odd because your reticle kind of aims at the floor since Reaper is much taller than them, but the math works out. Since their bodies are roughly triangle shaped it makes more sense to aim lower to increase the chances of Reaper’s RNG working.

Before I was aiming at the middle of their body, between their stomachs and chests, but a surprising amount of pellets manage to go above them.

For most other 200 hp characters aiming in the middle of their body works because they are more rectangle shaped: Soldier 76, McCree, Mercy and Widowmaker especially.

A note on Widowmaker, her upper body is rather skinny compared to the rest, so unless you are so close her head us larger than the standard reticle I would shoot at her chest at the most. Aiming at her head even within the 2m mark gives inconsistent results during fast paced movement.

A note on Mercy, she stands with her shoulders at an angle relative to where she is aiming. This means that while her character model is more or less just a slightly smaller Soldier 76 or McCree hitbox, it’s actually being made to show less surface area from the front since she’s twisting her upper body while holding her staff.

So, if you are up close to Mercy (between the the 1.5 and 3m mark), but she’s standing with her shoulders twisted parallel to your point of view then aim for her breasts. Again, that’s not a joke, you have to compensate your aim for the hitbox of the individual character and their stance which changes the surface area of their hitbox.

Genji is really odd because he’s really crouched, but still roundly ball shaped. I haven’t found a consistent way to kill him yet with Reaper. Right now I use the melee, shoot melee combo on him. I’ll get back to you guys on him.

A final note:

Be wary of practicing Reaper on the training range. The robots have an inflated hit box, and are more or less triangle shaped (with their huge heads being the base). Which will train you to aim high for critical shots. The only character shaped like that is Reaper because he has a body hit box like McCree, but his head hitbox is rather large. So the bots will train you to deal with other Reaper’s, but not the general cast.

5 Likes

“AIM FOR THE CROTCH”

This has been a public service announcement. You may now continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

2 Likes

You should’ve… gone for the crotch

1 Like

That would have been a low blow.

3 Likes

The hitboxes are the same across all platforms. I’m not saying that this form of aiming makes Reaper a viable pick against Sombra, Tracer, Lucio or Ana, but what I am saying is that it’s inevitable that you will have to fight them as Reaper.

As for recording gameplay, I actually do record some of my games to watch them and see what I can improve. I’m just lazy about uploading it. I’m going to try to do it eventually though. Can’t avoid it forever.

1 Like

Full respect to Reaper mains, and thanks for the high quality tips as usual.

Just a question: How do you aim at Lucios and Tracers with their speed? Is it mostly just flicking and instinctual aiming?

I have also found this to be case. Ana especially feels tankier than Roadhog if I aim for her head, for me at least.

1 Like

That’s a tough question.

On Lucio: when he jumps he tucks in his legs which makes his hitbox really small even if you are in melee range. What you want to do is time your shot for after he reaches the peak of his jump because after hitting the max height he sticks out both legs giving you a really large hitbox to work with.

If you get stuck only shooting him when he is going up to his max vertical height it will feel almost impossible to kill him.

As for Tracer, you do need a certain threshold of pure aim to be able to flick on to them. Though experience plays into it. In particular you will want to take into account the preferences of the specific Tracer player. They will usually, but not always, use one of these four techniques:

• blink back and forth in front of you to try to kill you
  • blink in front and then behind you repeatedly to try to kill you
  • blink in a rough circle around you
  • blink to you in a straight line, try to walk around you as you turn to face them and then recalling as they take damage or are about to take damage.

So keep in mind what the player likes to do so you can better predict how to fight them.

Onr thing you may want to fo is for them to use their blinks by standing near doorways and other physical barriers. They’ll usually have to use one blink to try to get behind whatever barrier you just got behind. Unless they are very close to you when you go behind a physical barrier, Tracer will usually blink far behind you.

So let’s say you run around a corner with a Tracer brfind you, and then you hug the wall waiting for them to walk in. An experienced Tracer knows you are standing around the corner ready to shoot her, so she blinks to try to get several meters away from the corner in hopes you won’t anticipate that, and now she’ll be able to dump half of her mag into you while you turn to face her.

To prevent this I reccomend standing a few meters away from whatever corner you ran behind and standing in a way to be able to quickly flick onto her whether she casually walks around the corner or if she blinks several meters past it.

Another thing, if Tracer blinks directly behind you, it is ok to use wraith to avoid the mag dump, and to turn to face her. You should keep in mind that after wrath Tracer will tend to blink away from you to create just enough space to keep your shotguns at an ineffective range.

This is why I reccomend looking for a barrier, corner or doorway during wraith that you can play around with as stated before.

A few tracers are cocky and will try to jump in your face after wraith, that’s when you shoot them in the crotch.

One thing that every one needs to know about eith Tracer is that she recalls 3 seconds back. I’m not necessarily saying you should count the seconds, but if you haven’t already, then I reccomend getting the feel of where she will recall so you can start aiming and walking towards the spot so you can get the drop on her.

It’s definitely not easy, and 80% of the time neither of us kill each other because usually after Tracer takes one good shot after she does Recall she tends to retreat.

At the end of the day it is not a favorable match up, but you can male it a tad more favorable.

2 Likes