A question regarding avoid as teammate

Wanna feel older?

(Ended after season 1)

(Removed in June 2017)

(removed in August 2017)

2 Likes

Is that supposed to be like that?

I don’t remember sudden death being like that

Oh the link loaded, just the placeholder on the site rn though.

I could’ve sworn that the Reaper lifesteal rework came after the rez change ಠ_ಠ

Refresh it, I think I fixed it

There was always a limit.

First one doesn’t show up for me after refreshing, probably a cookie thing or something.

Also those previous capture points, aren’t those the ones they have shown in the OW2 video recently?

There was? Well, the reason it was removed was the same anyway. A couple of players got excessive queue times due to being avoided by too many players for one-tricking.

There was never an avoid a team mate. I think you’re talking about the thing that you could avoid enemies. Something like that.

Heh I was linking to a Wiki site, they often have hotlinking protective measures. Switched the image.

1 Like

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/blizzard-removes-ability-to-avoid-this-player-in-overwatch

"For example, we recently realized that “Avoid this player” was wreaking havoc on matchmaking. One of the best Widowmaker players in the world complained to us about long queue times. We looked into it and found that hundreds of other players had avoided him (he’s a nice guy—they avoided him because they did not want to play against him, not because of misbehavior). The end result was that it took him an extremely long time to find a match.

The worst part was, by the time he finally got a match, he had been waiting so long that the system had “opened up” to lower skill players. Now one of the best Widowmaker players was facing off against players at a lower skill level. As a result, we’ve disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch). The system was designed with the best intent. But the results were pretty disastrous."

That was removed even more the start of season 1 Competitive details can be found in a very big post from Jeff Kaplan which I have archived here:

Yeah, I was thinking of the prefer team mate thing.

My bad.

I just remember people being mad that the preferred team mate wasn’t always on their team in the end.

They removed that roughly in 2018.

Yes, I’m aware. But that was what I was thinking of.

I could probably name a dozen of names from the top of my head actually as I actively dodge certain players who quite often end up in the blue team most likely because they’re highly avoided players. I could give explanations as to what the harmful behavior of these player consistently is and why I actively avoid them. With the help of what I call myself “the permanent avoid list” a.k.a. the blocked players list I could explain the whole list of players (110) and why they’re on the list. There are also players who don’t fit on the list that I actively recognize and dodge in-game. Due to the high MMR of my main account and the handicapped nature of matchmaking you see a lot of the same names in the game

Now I agree that a lot of avoid slots would actually cause harm to the matchmaking system, but I don’t believe that even 5 avoid slots would cause that big of an issue especially since we already have T500 and masters in the same games anyways. Avoid limitations in the top 1% of the game could enable even up to 10 avoid slots in the mid brackets, where the amount of games initiated per hour is so much higher that it allows triangular avoid situations to be dismantled very quickly causing no further issues for the matchmaking pace as the system doesn’t have to match a different game for 2 players who have avoided each other, since they can be in the same game against each other. The only way this could cause an issue in that case is if the matchmaking would wanna enforce these 2 players to be in the same team based on some subjective factor, which would be a harmful factor to the game to begin with from software engineering perspective

And if that preference is a whimsical personal preference like you’re describing then it’s extremely unlikely they get avoided by others. The exception to this would be if the “whimsical personal preference” was actually something that concretely effected other players’ chances at winning the game or their enjoyment of the game. Like I said this would have concrete effect on your queue time only if you were in the top bracket of the game while engaging in gameplay sabotage or were just otherwise very toxic person, which are the 2 common reasons to avoid someone.

This makes no sense. If a player is bad then through consistent gameplay they will fall to a lower rank until they’re not considered bad anymore. If good players avoid the bad player while this is happening, they’ll literally be in different matchmaking brackets. To get avoided you have to play matches. To play matches means moving through the brackets

This is a pure guess not really based on anything

Whatever I said still stands.

It’s because i know people are doing it purely based on preference.
I’ve heard that tons of people do it and admit to it themselves.

Sure it’s a great tool to use, though knowing how much it’s used for preference it isn’t safe to raise it if it’s going to be used that much for normal players too.

It does make sense.

Again, players mostly avoid too for preference.
If they feel like someone is underperforming or not living up to their expectations they could just avoid them.
If more people start doing that then that single person is going to have long queue times because noone is willing to accept him.
He could be put with players that were also avoided alot because they’re either throwing or just because people felt like it.

Not really, it’s been looked at through alot of these threads.
I’m not willing to repeat myself every thread that comes up with the exact same topic. Though queue times will increase.

Honestly i don’t see why people keep posting this stuff when it has been answered recently.
Understandable if they’re new to the forums but still, old users tend to do it too.

Plus if there was no downside then Blizzard would just increase it no problem.

Then why not allow more/less avoid slots per rank? If this was a reason. Sometimes I don’t understand why some things are (not) a thing like spectators being able to use the chat.
Or an option to make player names anonymous in replay codes so we could “legally” post them here to identify cheaters.

well, just take our word for it. LONG QUEUE TIMES.

Because everyone should have the same user tools for a better game experience. It’s only fair.

So 14 seasons later they haven’t touched it. Has it helped? NO, 3 avoid slots is a joke at this point in the game.