A proposal to deter leavers in Overwatch - Return to Match & Low-Priority Queue

Oh, I didn’t know people were leaving back to back to back unless they got sent into the same game.

My impression was most leavers were intermittent in departures rather than doing a constant steam of it.

It depends on the player. I used to be pretty guilty of leaving casual matches frequently myself way back in the day.

Yeah in my proposal one or two leaves in a casual match is not a cardinal sin, just those who are leaving nonstop is where is can be a problem.

1 Like

Mind you the problems we have in QP and to some degree competitive have been around since the game was released. People have been “very confident” about the addressing of those issues, without them actually addressing anything. And I don’t see how it intensifies the problem, the problem isn’t the leavers to begin with. It’s the reason they leave that’s the problem.

A lot of people - me included - only want an enjoyable match to play that’s even and fair. Right now, that’s not the case. Leaving isn’t about raging and can’t handle dying, it’s about frustration when you’re the only one playing it towards the objective. Getting killed X amount of times because no one bothers counter picking. I can counter towards one hero, but not all 6 of the opposing team. I can’t counter Widow, Doomfist, Tracer, Genji etc. on my own, I need my team to be willing to do the same. And in QP, people aren’t willing to change because “it’s only QP” and they are only practising.

2 Likes

How would Overwatch determine if the person actually left or was disconnected unintentionally?

Ah, that clears it up. But that is also abusable.

Because this means that players can leave 1 game, requeue, complete that game, then they can leave again the next game. Means that they can circumvent this system altogether with still a pretty HUGE 50% leave ratio of all matches that they play.

1 Like

My research is based upon just playing the game in general :slight_smile:
I most often see that when I play widowmaker on the game. That the system is ALWAYS pulling a widowmaker MAIN from the pool, IF i am playing her and someone fills for a player that leaves the game. I have 200+ screen captures of the game doing this. Id be more than happy to share them here. HOWEVER the game doesn’t allow me to upload images. But yes, I have them ON HAND. :slight_smile:

Infact, I would be more than honored to take a bunch more today. To verify my activity, as well as I welcome you to contact the individuals working in the Data center there at blizzard to verify my claims that said such activity does occur.

AS…I made in-game REPORTS on this infact. In order to curb issues in the match maker. They would be found under my personal activity file at blizzard, listed as “gameplay sabotage reports” with a side-note written to staff, that the player was backfilled in as such. With myself trying to get the attention of Blizzard staff that their system does this very frequently. I place my hand upon the books of the Diety whom I believe in, to claim that beyond a reason of a doubt, that this system as a matter of fact. Does just that. Dating back to logs from 03/02/2018 to 04/26/2019.

These reports are more than likely on a Database file. :stuck_out_tongue:

(side notes continuing)

During my time of being a Split-partnership owner on Team fotress 2 clan-hosting. Sniper dueling was just as big of a problem on that game. Two-fort had the same issues. Where snipers were individuals with an ego, and often, one or the other just LEFT, when it got out of hand. Since TF2 allows a person to have MULTIPLE servers going at once. People that got sick and tired of toxicity usually just DUCKED off to another server of the same map and someone was ALWAYS in-que to enter the server. One of the former two servers I played on, OUTSIDE of my own, they had where they LIMITED certain classes, so things such as SNIPER duels were NOT happening.

What the solution to that was, was going and running Sniper_orange_110, so snipers could DUEL one another all day. :slight_smile:

I understand that, that’s not the point. The bad rep in itself is the goal as far as I’m concerned, I’m not trying to manipulate the matchmaker at all.

And yes, I’m 100% sure it’s the router, because if you physically walk over to it, you can see it restarting. All wifi devices lose signal altogether, and all wired computers either think they’re unplugged or disconnected.

1 Like

They also clearly have a dated point of view, so there’s that.

While some people might simply pull their Ethernet cable to simulate a connection drop, I think it’s possible to check when someone manually click the “leave match” button.

The development team can track the button click.

Source: Overwatch Forums

low priorty queue is needed badly

the leavers are out of control on low elo… its not a problem on diamond and higher

Make it the same system as competitive. They leave so many games, then they get an Abandonment charge and cannot play for x amount of minutes/hours depending on severity. Give the Abandonment charge a long shelf life while we’re at it. No sense in having a mark on your account if you can lose it after a day or two.

Anyone who has to leave because of a life emergency, or other reasons unbeknownst to us, are not going to be seriously affected by this change. I would put the max amount of games they can leave before seeing a penalty at 3 for QP. I think Competitive docks you for the first game you leave? So it’s a little more lenient and reasonable.

There needs to be less and less of this discretion between game modes. Either we’re a competitive game or we’re not. But there’s a reason why few people honestly play anything outside of competitive.

No one actually takes QP in a serious tone.

Competitive? Sure. Non-competitive modes? Absolutely not.

The only reason QP could be considered a problem is the backfill isn’t instant anymore due to a much lower population. Perhaps instead of trying to drive more people away from playing Overwatch we should be asking why so many people stopped playing it in the first place.

1 Like

Nonsense is best left to other people who enjoy the nonsense, and that is exactly why we have an Arcade mode in the game.

QP should be a direct representation of Competitive, if not very close to.

1 Like

The problem with putting in no disconnect protection in casual play is it punishes a lot of people who are not at fault for their bad connection.

Some people live in countries that give them a bad connection, some people’s housing situations don’t allow them to troubleshoot, and some people are business folks living out of hotels from time to time. These people wouldn’t be in your tech support forums because there is nothing they can about it except stick to casual gameplay. And that should be enough, imo.

Exactly this. QP is NOT a direct representation of Comp. It’s so strange how someone who is so active in the community is dead set on dividing it even more.

Dividing it more? How so? By trying to make the two as similar as possible? That makes them more divided?

I think treating QP like the Arcade mode makes the Overwatch community more divided. Because with an attitude like that, more people are only going to play Competitive.

If you want mess about and try things you don’t normally play, there’s still the Arcade mode

2 Likes

As somebody who mainly plays QP I feel like this would be a rather bad idea without tweaking the matchmaking in casual gamemodes since there are plenty of games where the difference in player skills are really crushing or without adding 2 additional avoid slots (since we now have data that shows that avoiding teammates is really safe compared to avoiding them in your games overall that happened back in the earlier days) since in high MMR games you see a lot of the same players you feel uncomfortable playing with for a reason or another and that’s another common reason why players leave in the assembly phase. I leave plenty of games during the assembly phase when one of these alarming things comes up, but if the assembly phase was excluded from these punishments all together I’d feel pretty confident that it would be a positive change for the game overall since backfills would probably become more scarce so sticking to some games you already started playing wouldn’t be so bad overall.

Another big threat in punishing QP leavers is that while some leave for the spite of it the majority of leavers leave because they feel really frustrated about something concrete and feel really uncomfortable staying in those games (even without really tilting for example because they simply feel like it’s not an enjoyable experience) so plenty of players would probably just not come back at all switching to another game or take the low priority queue and then realize that their matchmaking experience is now even worse than what they’ve experienced which would lead to them either not coming back to the game at all or intentionally sandbag/throw the game since losing faster = getting out of the low priority queue faster pushing them further away from the experience that they enjoy. With this in mind it might also just popularize throwing games even more since you could do the same with the game that you were about to leave.

These are good systems with good intentions but considering the whole picture these changes can be more harmful to the gameplay experience not just for those who leave games but to those on their team when they start avoiding the measures through other means like throwing. I’m quite sure assembly phase should be excluded from these changes in casual gamemodes and there’d have to be improvements to the matchmaking quality and/or something like the 2 additional avoid slots to give players more tools to avoid those games they feel like leaving

Looking at competitive I’d say that these systems are good as they are due to the gameplay experience already being more consistent and leavers being an oddity rather than something you see often and it being well… a competitive gamemode

have you changed your modem it could be that.