A note about game design for Mercy Mains

Because in general, people were fine that way, not to mention, 2-2-2 is kind of the desired comp, anyway, so I don’t see the problem of ‘forcing’ Mercy to be ran with an off-healer to help her.

Right they were fine because they had to be I’m sure we’d be fine if she was changed back too. But that doesnt mean we should willingly put the added stress on ourselves that would bring. And she already has an off healer helping her on any team with basic gamesense

Res isn’t easy to make work, but it’s easier to make work as an ultimate than it is a cooldown ability.

Bringing back a dead teammate is a huge deal. It shouldn’t be handed out every 30 seconds like it is now.

An ultimate moving to a cooldown ability should be way less effective than just 33%. That would be like putting Sound Barrier as Lucio’s E and having it give his team 500 shields instead of 750.

Also, Mercy was out of the meta for over a year, and basically became the meta for a year.

Ana and Moira’s ultimates can shutdown other ultimates, hello? Moira’s Coalescence can outheal some ultimates and just outright kill the enemy using it. I’ve healed my team in Grav with Coalescence so many times. Ana’s ult can effectively negate ultimates. Nano your Rein and watch him hammer that Rally armor into non-existence, or Nano your Dragonblade Genji as he shreds through Lucio’s barriers.

Mercy’s ultimate as Res did something uniquely that other couldn’t, and it countered ultimate stacking. That’s when the enemy uses as many ults as possible to win a team fight they are losing, and it also punished enemies with poor gamesense and their ability to prioritize enemy supports first and foremost.

We have counters to healing though. Ana’s anti-nade. D.Va can eat Moira’s orbs. Graviton combos effectively shut it down. Earthshatter removes affected players from play briefly. EMP shuts everyone down and makes it simple to pick the healers off. Dragonblade literally gets rid of supports as it’s main job. Doomfist himself destroys healers.

Also, to get the ‘crazy’ amount of healing, it’s better with Ana + Moira. Yet that hasn’t come to play yet. You’re fearing over something that wouldn’t come to light. Having a Flex-Support with a Main Support will always be the #1 thing to do. Zenyatta’s Discord is just too good to pass up, Lucio’s speed boost is amazing, and Brigitte’s shutdown kit + armor are great utility to have.

Because the issue she had was that she didn’t have an ‘E’ ability back then. It was just Healing, Damage Boost, and Guardian Angel. Players wanted her to have an ‘E’ ability that increased her viability. Instead the Devs gave us a new ult(that would’ve been better as the ‘E’ imo) and put Resurrect on ‘E’.

Everything else was good, she just didn’t have any utility to work with, meanwhile Lucio had Speed Boost, Zen had Discord, and Ana had Biotic Nade + Sleep Dart.

Many people think that her pre-rework state would be easier to balance. Like we could tone done mass-rez with better counterplay many asked for and give her some utility for compensation.

While mass-rez worked in lower ranks quite good it got weaker the higher you climbed. So making her less ult dependant and giving her some utility like other healers have would be a good change in my opinion.
Plus I dont think that would make her the worst ever just good enough to stand right next to the other sups. I dont want her to outshine them or hang behind.

2 Likes

Are we really going to do this again? Really?

I’ve said this many times.

1 Like

Well the 50hps has taken her back to trash heals now so :woman_shrugging:t2:

The only thing she’s got going for her is dmg boost, mobility and rez, and that’s the only things left to nerf so if any of those three get nerfed mercy will just be complete trash

I’d rather a complete revert and have mercy in a batter state than she will be when she inevitably gets nerfed again

Zen + Lucio have a different kind of defensive ult compared to old Mercy, they have their niche’s but Zen is always going to be meta as long as trans + discord are so powerful.

Zen is used against channelled ults, which do large amounts of damage over a period of time.
Lucio is used against Junkrats, McCrees and D.vas (if their timing is perfect), ults with one shot potential.
Mass rez was used to punish ult dumping and poor ult economy management.

Valk is the equivalent of having a bunch of Mercys with z axis control.

What stress? I feel far more stressed playing her now, than back when she had Mass Resurrect.

So it’s a revert plus GA then not just a revert?

Mass rez + GA and the most consistent heals in the game sounds pretty powerful honestly you guys could see the nerf hammer harder than ever if that combo became to strong.

I haven’t even noticed a difference both playing her and tanking she is still my preffered healer to have on me.

I’ve seen many people calling for a revert talk about how she was a troll pick back then and the worst support. How would it not be stressful having the most popular hero in the game a troll pick?

Because that’s other people’s perception. I loved playing her back then. I was a solid mid-plat player the whole time, and never got asked to swap or anything. Those game-winning clutch Rezzes, tempo-rez on the payload, the abuse of the invulnerability when they added that in… loved it.

2 Likes

God, this. This is what I miss most about Mercy 1.0. Not her being a troll pick, not the occasional crappy teammates who would try to tell me how to play Mercy when they only had 10 minutes on her, not the screams to rez or hide or whatever. The impact. That’s what I miss.

Mercy 1.0 might have been a troll pick, but at least prior to invulnerability, she had a high risk, high reward playstyle. Yeah, you could suicide rez - but you knew that suicidal rez was giving your team a second chance to swing things around, and it was worth it. And when invulnerability was added? Mercy was still not meta, but she felt damn near godly if you took advantage of it. I can’t even count the amount of times I’d swung entire games around or gone whole matches without dying using that invulnerability to make sure my team wasn’t down a healer. Or the feeling you got when you just rezzed and the fight is absolute chaos and you’re zipping back and forth and 30 seconds later you have rez again and you’re the ONLY reason your team hasn’t lost the point yet.

The adrenaline rush that came with playing Mercy back then was unmatched. And then, there were those games where the enemy wouldn’t focus you at first until you started pulling off chain rezzes and then suddenly you see they’ve switched to counter you and you’re being focused hard, and on one end, yeah it sucked to be focused by practically the entire enemy team at once, but damn if that wasn’t satisfying in its own way. Like yes - now you recognize that I’m a threat. Good.

It was so damn satisfying to end a match and have the enemy team complain about how hard you were to catch, or have someone say you carried. It was even more satisfying when the enemy team tried their damnedest to shut you down and you still managed to do your thing - which invulnerability made a lot easier, admittedly.

Sadly, that rush just isn’t there anymore. Mercy 2.0 just makes it too easy to stay alive, and there’s not really any real risk to using rez aside from trying to pull off a sneaky/risky rez just for the hell of it. There’s no high risk-high reward playstyle anymore. Mercy is just kinda… there.

1 Like

exactly

but people like to pretend massrez was guaranteed to win you the game
This is false
it was very common to rez only for the enemy team to use 1 or 2 ults they had saved up for after rez

it was exciting to rez and counterplay rez.
Only teams that just blow their ults without thinking are really affected. Play smart and you can mitigate massrez easily and she wont have it again for 1 or 2 minutes…

A good E ability was ALL that was needed besides some rez adjustments (los,cast time maybe)

have a good E to let mercy have more midfight usability sou rez should maybe be less necessary

But even without an E some games i didnt even need to rez once,if the team plays well

Last time we had that Mercy was mostly considered underpowered. And I personally wouldnt mind it if Mercy would be weaker in higher ranks again. Ana being good in higher elos and Mercy for the lower ones was just fine for me.

1 Like

This. I always thought it was more fair that a hero with a higher skill floor such as Ana should be more viable at higher tiers than Mercy.

1 Like

Not to mention, this also reflects positively on those gifted few who could hold their own with Mercy in GM where they’d be competing with Ana.

2 Likes

Right before the rework Mercy was doing fine in the highest tiers of the ladder actually, In Masters she was the top pick, even in GM she was picked more than Ana and in the last week before the rework was even with Lucio for highest pick rate there.

This is true, although I wonder how she would have fared against our current Ana…

I’n guessing the competition would have been a lot tighter.

Based upon those stats in the screenshot, it seems like a fair representation for skill-ceilings. Obviously healers with higher skill ceilings should be getting picked more than ones with low skill ceilings as the ranks get higher.

At this point, I support going back to vanilla Mercy because it means heroes that have much higher skill ceilings will see more play time in ranks they deserve to see more play time in. Ana is a good example of that before she got nerfed a bunch and before Mercy got her Moth phase.

1 Like

I don’t want a revert to Mass Rez.

All I want is a fun hero.(which current Mercy isn’t)