A Humble Suggestion For Mercy's Resurrect, And A Word Of Encouragement

INTRO AND THANK-YOU MESSAGE
If any member of the Overwatch development team would consider a glance at this thread, I’d be more than appreciative of their time. I’ve wanted to share these two brief things with you all for a while now, the first being a very sincere “thank you”. I’ve been continuously impressed with the commitment the team has shown to this game and its community over the past couple of years. I’ve watched this team tirelessly polish and rework and add things to this wonderful title, with a chin held high in resistance to the negativity of its detractors, who I believe sometimes forget that their criticisms, delivered in poor manner at times, come from a place of passion and a desire for Overwatch’s success. Every member of the dev team ought to be genuinely proud of their investment, and I just want you to know above all else, that your work is appreciated and not in vain.

THE MERCY SUGGESTION
Regarding the second topic, I would love to pitch a potential solution to what might be a touchy subject for many; Mercy’s resurrect. I love Valkyrie as Mercy’s ultimate ability, and believe the single teammate high-risk resurrect is a brilliant route to take the ability, but the most common complaint I hear about its form in the current build of the game is its status as a “cooldown” ability. The arguments I hear most often against resurrect being tied to a cooldown, revolve around its lack of skill required for optimal use. I’ve heard it said that such a powerful game-changing ability should feel more “earned”, and should have greater “cost” than a 30 second wait time. Players seem to take special exemption to the fact that a lesser-experienced Mercy player will always have a resurrect charged at the same rate that one of much greater experience will. Relegating resurrect to an ultimate ability like it used to be would technically change that, rewarding outstanding performance with quicker resurrections, but losing Valkyrie wouldn’t be worth such a change, nor would an entire 100% ultimate charge be worth a single resurrect. And we are not going back to the days of full team resurrection.

The idea, then? Perhaps, if a single resurrect cost SOME ultimate charge, at the expense of delayed access to Valkyrie. Consider the possibilities for critical decision-making made available to Mercy players if she were able to sacrifice a certain percentage, lets say 60 percent, of her ultimate charge to use a resurrection? This would lead to interesting strategic opportunities for Mercy players, as they’d have to consider whether to regroup after a lost push and try again with a Valkyrie, or salvage the push by reviving a crucial team member. Now, with her current rate of ultimate charge, this might prove too powerful a change, but I feel that with a slower rate of charge to compensate for the alteration, this could be a positive step forward for this hero.

I know this bends the rules a tad in regards to multi-use ultimate charge, but its worth remembering that Symmetra once had two different uses for her ultimate meter as well, so maybe its not that far fetched? Regardless, I’m thankful to anyone and everyone who took time to read this post. You are all wonderful, have a great day!

Honestly, with all the other stuff on the forums right now, a Mercy thread is a refreshing change of pace

1 Like

Lol thanks yeah there does seem to be a lot going on

Ressurect being on a cooldown isn’t a problem, and I suspect most Mercies feel this way. She doesn’t need extra resource managment, she needs extra user engagment.

As is, while seemingly balanced, she doesn’t have anything to do with the enemy beside avoidence so she feels kinda stale. The proposed change is a nerf when she’s balanced and doesn’t address her issues mercy mains actually have.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback, I’m a Mercy main myself but I realize I don’t speak for all players. I agree with your point on her enemy interactions, that’s super valid. Her game plan is ultimately the same with every enemy encounter, revolving around using Guardian Angel to run into and out from danger. Its fun to get creative with its use, but her options are limited for sure, thanks for bringing it up.

rez on cooldown is a problem for me. Design wise I don’t understand it in terms of how she has rez treated like an ult but this doesn’t apply to other strong abilities in the game. Hero wise, it interrupts her flow as a mobile healer. and gameplay wise, the “hide n rez” issue is now a constant thing that I thought blz wanted gone.

For me, this change doesn’t really address any of that. It just takes away some power use form rez: first pick before ult charge is really able to even be earned via widow shot etc. in which i agree, it’s a nerf.

1 Like

Im not sure about the idea, why.not just.make it an ultimate to have that?

Here if your intrested i made a thread with 8 different rework ideas

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I’m glad so many people are putting forth Mercy change concepts!