A discussion about "learn to carry" / a math problem

Thank you. The whole point - the thing that got me thinking about all this - is that people use the phrase “learn to carry” to entirely justify why someone is stuck in a rank. While I believe, yes if they learn to heavy-carry, eventually, with enough carrying skills - they’d be able to carry an entire team… but at that level, you’re playing like a diamond but with bad lower-rank habits. The problem is when someone is gold but stuck in silver because of what seems (so far) to be the cause of a matchmaking system that is just not strict enough in its upper and lower limits.

The problem with that is that, yes, obviously this would improve the McCree alone’s performance. But that’s you pocketing one player while the others also need healing. If the other players on your team are also chipping in more (more elims, more self-healing, etc) - then that’s great. But if say, your co-support is lacking or the other dps or a tank etc … there’s a threshold for how much one person can carry. And if self-skill level is only one rank higher- it’s very unlikely you’ll be able to carry that much consistently enough to rank up.

1 Like

Idk if you missed this because seeing replies is hard on phone but obviously 5 gold’s can’t carry a silver against 6 golds because one team has a weak link and the other doesn’t. If the 5 golds are mid gold and enemy is low gold then they could easily carry the silver.

2 Likes

Yes, someone said this. But it’s like… If each of those gold players separately developed their silver-carrying skills enough to advance to the next rank of gold, then it shouldn’t really be so hard for them to occasionally (altogether) carry 1 silver between the 5 of them - even if they’re evenly matched - because they’re not carrying a whole team. At least be able to do it once, giving the 9th data point needed (see original post for reference) Each would -theoretically- be giving slightly more than each individual player of the opposing team. Regardless - yes this logic if flawed which is why I’m ultimately saying “learn to carry” is not the only thing that should be said to someone when they complain about a bad team.

Think of it like this. A grown man joins a kids tug of war game. He is going to obliterate the enemy team because they are all weak kids. If you take a grown mans tug of war game and put a kid in then the team with the kid will lose because they are losing power. It doesn’t matter if all these adults could destroy the kids in a children’s tug of war game they still can’t carry a kid against 6 evenly strong men.

Edit: Ok just finished reading your last msg and like I said in my original reply. Mid golds could carry a high silver in low gold games

1 Like

Which is kinda why the entire point of this post has developed into saying that “learn to carry” isn’t an appropriate response at a certain point… One of those guys could have like 10% more muscle mass then the average on the enemy team but if it’s not at least 22% (example numbers not real math - representing the amount that the kid is lacking) then they will still lose.

But it kind of is. If you learn to carry in the kids game you have become as strong as a grown man.

When I say “carry logic” I’m talking about what most people seem to consider carrying - making big plays by getting kills. Wrecking the enemy team. And then I explain it.

^ And then I explain it again. I can’t be bothered to repeat myself numerous times; you don’t have to get so defensive and nit-picky with what are mostly hypothetical statements.

If a boy transformed into a man (in this metaphor) via carrying over and over - a bit more each time - then by the end where the man is able to beat an entire team with little help - he’s then playing at not just 1 but 2 ranks higher. Which is a rare find. See you’re missing the teen-phase (in this metaphor) which is feel like is where most people find themselves with the way matchmaking works. Your good enough to make up for 1 or even 2… but not 4.

I can agree with this. Carrying over and over is hard in silver unless you gain the skill of a plat.

But you should still win more than lose if you have gold skills

Exactly. But if 1/3rd guaranteed loss and 1/3rd guaranteed win then 1/3rd having to carry -hoping you qued at the right time so the high and low data points that make up your team arnt so vastly different creating an amount of carrying needed that you, alone are unable to achieve. At this rate climbing seems like it’d be absurdly timely. Thus making “learn to carry” not a reason for someone being stuck in a rank.

But you can’t carry as gold in silver, that’s the issue. The rank resolution is to bad due to how they allow to much nonsense that isn’t making it easier (contrary) for the system to sort players.
That pushes the required rank up to e.g. plat and higher while grinding for a really long time to make the last step from gold to plat (if plat is your “true” rank), this is essentially what I keep trying to stress out.

Now that’s not the entire truth either since theoretically you should also be able to climb (into mid ranks) by making viewer mistakes than others but that is questionable due to the inconsistency & variance they allow.

All you need to do is to reduce the variance allowed within a team yet that will lead to really, really, reallyyy long queue times for players

1 Like

But “learn to carry” will make you rank up. You acknowledged that. It is still the only thing that can make you rank up in this game so I think it is valid to say.

You can. Just not all games. I can carry as a master in diamond and when I was diamond I could carry in plat and when I was plat I could carry in gold I doubt its very different in silver/gold.

2 Likes

Yes you can carry as gold in silver. Just like i am plat and i can carry a lot games in gold. Hell i can even carry plat games often.

2 Likes

You think you can, but you can’t.
The skill difference isn’t big enough. Its not carrying if you depend on your teams performance and you are doing it consistently unless of course you happened to have a troll, smurf, leaver.
All you need of your team is them trying to win by their ranks means like the opponents.

If you were able to carry in plat you wouldn’t be in plat, you are simply fooled by the inconsistency of the MM and the broken matchups that’re sometimes presented you.

No, i dont think i can, i know i can. Dont talk about things i can do for me lol. Maybe you cant do it, that doesnt mean others cant too.

Well answerer this, how are you in plat if you can carry in plat?

I climbed into plat. What kind of question is this lol. I didnt say i can carry all plat games, i said often. There are reasons why i cant do it every game. If i was able to do it every game i would be easy diamond.

1 Like

How long have you been plat?