Overwatch 2 – Season 7: Rise of Darkness Begins October 10!

Overwatch 2 – Season 7: Rise of Darkness Begins October 10!

Our latest season for Overwatch 2 brings a new Blizzard crossover event, a new Ability Kit for Sombra, and new Control Map Samoa!

View Full Article

18 Likes

corpse bride widowmaker :heart:

8 Likes

Everything about Season 7 is looking good

8 Likes

NEW LIFEWEAVER SKIN YIPPE!!!

3 Likes

For anyone interested specifically in reading about Sombra changes but don’t want to go through the rest of the blog post.

Overwatch 2 – Season 7: The Rise of Darkness comes with dozens of new balance changes, but notably, we’re introducing a whole new ability kit for Sombra. We’ve removed Opportunist and adjusted her Stealth ability to be a passive that starts automatically when Sombra is not taking damage or dealing damage or abilities. Her Translocator is also reworked to instantly teleport her wherever it is thrown. Finally, she has a new ability—Virus—which is a skill shot that deals damage over time to the target it hits and does double damage and at a faster rate if they are already hacked. Along with tuning to her Machine Pistol, Hack, and EMP, you’ll find that she will be more engaging to play with and play against.

Our goal is to allow Sombra to be more committed to the targets she engages with and have a more active feel to her kit, all the while maintaining her character identity and playstyle as the world’s greatest hacker. We’ll have more details about Sombra’s rework in an upcoming blog.

Personally I like the change to translocator in conjunction with the stealth change. It seems like it will be more interactive for everyone involved while still allowing Sombra a chance to reset or chase for a kill if she really wants to. The virus ability seems like a good way to make her damage more reliable.

I still want to see how it actually plays out but I’m definitely interested.

13 Likes

Phara 4º skin legen in a row on the BP, WOW.

6 Likes

The Sauron reinhart skin looks incredible!

:astonished:

6 Likes

So it’s a Sombra buff in summary?

Its a buff to her in combat potential it looks like, her ability to escape has been nerfed, you can’t reactively instantly teleport away anymore, also depending on how long it takes to leave combat, stealth might have been nerfed too in the sense that before it was almost instant, but if it takes 4-6 seconds to leave combat, that’s quite a bit.

Also available in this season’s Ultimate Battle Pass bundle are the Legendary Lilith Moira Skin and the Legendary Inarius Pharah skin, along with a new Epic Pumpkin-Spice themed skin for Bastion (yeah, it’s a thing), and with a head start to collecting other bewitching cosmetics with 1,000 Overwatch Coins and 20 Tier Skips. Expect more scary surprises in store in the in-game premium shop in the weeks to come!

They really had to make this have less coins in it?

4 Likes

I’m guessing you can still uncloak when shooting, it’s just invisibility isn’t an active ability anymore

2 Likes

Maybe or maybe not, depends on numbers I think. The loss of her current passive in exchange for virus doing more to hacked targets I think will make her interactions more skillful at least since she has to both hack the target and then land an aimed ability at the target. I think translocator’s changes will also make securing kills on her easier since you can presumably see where she will throw it, but should also result in her being able to more quickly reenter combat after trying to disengage thanks to stealth changes

Whether it’s a buff, nerf, or neutral change I wouldn’t really know without numbers. But it does seem like this will hit their goal of making her more interactive to play with or against at least.

2 Likes

this season looks fantastic! happy birthday ow2!

3 Likes

Honestly I think they fixed a lot of her main problems people had with her before. She looks like she will be both more fair and more useful, obviously the numbers will be what really matters.

This might be the most faithful and well done rework yet. She keeps everything that makes her unique, while getting rid of the more unfair interactions with her original kit, and can do more to compensate.

4 Likes

Virus deals damage. So she can’t stealth while virus is active because she’s technically “in combat”

5 Likes

Skins and event are duds as expected, but that Sombra rework looking kinda cool. Gotta see those spicy balance changes though.

1 Like

Lol WHAT.

The skins looks awesome…

You’ve got to be trying to see them in a negative way to think they skins are “duds as expected”

9 Likes

Everyone has a right to their opinion, even if their opinion is garbo

3 Likes

I agree. I think this will make her a more fun ambusher type that gives more ways to play against or with. Her stealth will largely be an opener and eventual disengage with translocator I think whenever the dot falls off her target assuming she landed it (assuming it keeps her in combat anyways) and due to translocator changes she will have to stay and participate for longer periods of time.

I think this will help against common complaints of “stealth and do nothing” sombras. You technically could still do that, but you’d have to actively not engage the enemy at all and also stay away from them with stealth. You won’t have sombras who have translocator placed a mile way on a hacked healthpack leaving the moment they take damage. Which is both good for Sombra’s team since she will have to participate more and also nice for the enemy who want to engage and kill her.

1 Like

Everyone has their preferences, personally I think they look amazing, but to each their own.