Catching Sunlight - Prototyping Illari’s abilities with the hero design team

Catching Sunlight - Prototyping Illari’s abilities with the hero design team

Learn more about Illari’s early ability prototypes from the Overwatch 2 hero design team

View Full Article

9 Likes

But why is her lore so bad

9 Likes

i like illari she is pretty fun to play since a hitscan that is really forgiving

as for her marvel wakanda-like lore umm yea i dont know about that since silly but oh well. as long as she is fun to play

will she get nerfed later… probably for sure

when the next shiny hero releases, then we’ll have a new ovepowered character. with silly lore as well probably :wink:

I’d prefer her on the weak side because bunker playstyle puts me to sleep

An interesting read. Kind of nice to see the development process, and how much characters can change from initial concept to final product.

3 Likes

It’s always interesting to get an insight into how the heroes were designed!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

im really glad the “flash blind” didnt make it to the game. would suck since there are so much glare effects already, then a blind on top of that… i think people would uninstall if not so much already :upside_down_face:

1 Like

When the dev process is more interesting than the hero itself.

6 Likes

Very neat blogpost. Love this behind the scenes stuff
The piercing healing projectiles and the healing drones are good concepts and would be nice to see something like them on some future supports

Devs: Wow! These hero is so complex we took a long time to “perfecting” her!

Higher Ups: Yeah, but you guys had to release her tomorrow so start working on her lore.

Devs: WAIT, WHAT???

3 Likes

I love some BTS of how heroes get molded into what they are now. Would be very interested if you did this more going forward, or even look back at older picks.

Also that AoE primary she had that looked like a spinning blade should come back. I don’t care if it’s on DPS, or otherwise. Another decent AoE would be nice. (preferably out of the dps role, but I’d settle)

Good to see that they went with something else.

This was neat to see.

That was great to see - I’d like to see some of those concepts come back somehow.

In the end, we moved away from a blind ability because of the somewhat hidden effectiveness and frustration caused when played against.

Phew! Thank goodness for that. I hate blind effects. :sweat_smile:

Meanwhile me - your typical RP/DnD player: creates a character with complex backstory within hour

1 Like

Yeah, it’s also why FFXIV abandoned it on the Paladin. It can be useful to have, but you really need to implement in a way that it feels good, without being frustrating or not looking like a weak or useless effect.

1 Like

I would have preferred if Illari came from a country that had their own way of fighting the omnic crisis using solar power just like Russia had giant mechs, South Korea had the MEKA bots, America super soldiers, Germany Crusaders and Peru Solar Powered Weapons.

Yeah,but they usually have a decently fleshed out campaign setting to work with and can mold their character concept to fit the world. Overwatch lore gets changed at the drop of a hat and regularly contradicts itself. :smile:

1 Like

This pretty much applies to just about every Blizzard game.

Except Lost Vikings…