Director’s Take – Making a Great Match

Director’s Take – Making a Great Match

Aaron Keller is back with an update about our changes to Matchmaking from our latest patch

View Full Article

17 Likes

Here’s the 1.5 hour long video with Morgan Maddren and Scott Mercer where they talked about Matchmaking:

13 Likes

Most of director updates have been pretty good.

Stylosa posted a video about this one an hour ago. People probably aren’t going to be happy as the data doesn’t match their experiences.

12 Likes

and here we go

communication

4 Likes

Unranked matchmaking is important too. I’m getting matches almost instantly but they don’t seem particularly fair most of the time.

45 Likes

I miss Jeff.

44 Likes

Thanks for the update on the matchmaker. I’m glad its being worked on although I can already read some comments from people around here who think the matchmaker can be improved with the press of a button.

Or the ones who blame all their loses to the matchmaker.

4 Likes

I miss Jon Spector.

2 Likes

Thanks but…

• What is the current stance on cloud gaming?
  • Do you know if we will ever get macOS support for the game?
  • Any plans to support mouse and keyboard natively on console?
  • Will pink mercy be brought back eventually? If not why not? The BCRF seems to support another collaboration
  • Any plans to support overwatch on the steam deck? Or bring overwatch onto the steam launcher?
5 Likes

Don’t think they were intending to allow it. They changed the matchmaker at the beginning of season 3, and it had a lot of unintended consequences. They lost the fine tuning tools they needed to fix it with the update, and they are trying to add them back.

So it wasn’t so much a bad plan, more like faulty execution.

2 Likes

at least one area in life where I can be apart of the 1% with my golds in masters :fire::fire:

2 Likes

Bro, my experiences rarely match the data unless I say a character is overrated or underrated. All of a sudden my observations are hella accurate despite what the hivemind says.

4 Likes

What does the y axis of the charts show exactly?

For example: high rank, 50th percentile (yellow) in the end has a value of “0.835”. But what does that mean?

The text says:

so shoudn’t the number say “4.5” instead of “0.835”?

4 Likes

im sure bringing back a pink mercy is very important subject on a competitive & ranking system thread

10 Likes

I see a whole lot of nothing is really changed.

5 Likes

I was speaking more about the people still claiming every single gold game has a top 500 in it. On the enemy team only, of course. :smile:

There’s no doubt disparate ranking games like this still happen; they just aren’t that common anymore. The data appears to be showing that, with larger disparities (or deltas) earlier in the season.

1 Like

What a joke lmfaooooo

I think the graphs are measured in full tiers. So basically the numbers on the graph are ~1/5 of the “number of divisions” he wrote in text.

1 Like

Thanks for the great article, Aaron.

I am the gold getting dragged into master lobbies every other game. As far as I can tell from what few titles or open profiles there are. My training wheels Kiriko is apparently super impressive that I have MMR 10-15 divisions higher than my SR.

Technically it is possible because I used to one trick Zen. But man, how many losses on Kiriko until it learns that I am T R A S H.

8 Likes