7.1 Headset vs Dolby Atmos Option

Sorry for all the confusion Dolby atmos in Overwatch is designed for stereo headphones, you should set up overwatch like your using 7.1 speakers and let the razer software do the rest. Otherwise you will be hearing 2 channel simulated surround sound through a native surround sound system and that would be pointless.

Making headsets with more than 2 drivers is pointless, any advantage you might get is lost through the concessions that have to be made fitting that many speakers into a pair of headphones. That’s why it’s a meme, because it’s selling an inferior product for an inflated price based on lies. (Sorry OP)

I’d have to side with the Atmos crowd over 7.1, because driver size is important. I’d rather have the binaural simulator over the tinny itty bitty speakers.

I use a plantronic gametron 7.1 headset.

I’ve tried three different options.

Dolby Atmos: It sounds like I am in a tin can underwater. Everything sounds further away and less pronounced. I had to blast my eardrums in order to get any real detail out of it

Stereo : Even worse.

7.1: It gives so much more precision and quality over whatever they did in the dolby atmos environment. I can hear where everything is coming from and how far away it is.

For me it is no contest. 7.1 Plantronics wins out.

Thanks for all the answers! Much appreciated.

Look up the Logitech G430 headphones. They’re 7.1 that use Dolby. There’s another option for it but it doesn’t sound as good. You need the Logitech Gaming Software to run it properly.

I swear the people NOT using Atmos are the people who don’t hear Doomfist charging up, and don’t react to explosions happening behind them.

1 Like

Avoid , literally any GAMING headset

They are overpriced
Their mics are awful
Sound quality horrible bad.
Uncomfortable to wear
Useless RGB

Get a nice pair of headphones and attach a mod mic or buy any 10 usd cheap mic.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about dolby atmos but I have Razer Surround Pro (which gives 7.1 sound) paired with cheap headphones and the difference between the Surround Pro on and off is night and day. Positional audio is a must have, but again I don’t know about dolby atmos so it might have that as well.

Spring for a headset with Force Feedback, though.
Rattling your skull with servo motors is the key to professional level play.

:face_with_monocle:
:pray:

Those are virtual 7.1 sound (Simulated by software) something that its tied to the Razer driver.

Isn’t real .

I don’t know about “real 7.1” but with the simulated software I have 0 trouble hearing where the sounds are coming from, and don’t need anything more for gaming.

[Edit] Not saying having something better wouldn’t be welcome, but performance wise in gaming it isn’t necessary.

Real 7.1 is like 4-5 drivers playing same time on each ear. GL who bought that. The other should be just equalizer (to make them sound more wide? maybe)

Because your brain gets “tricked” thinking is a real 7.1 surround when clarity isn’t. If you only could test a good pair of stereo headphones (like Sennheiser ) you will drop those razers forever.

Razer products are one of the most expensive on the gaming market and one with the most awful quality on everything, keyboards,headsets,mouses etc.

But I can still hear where the sounds is coming from while when disabling the software I can’t. It works, so it doesn’t matters if it’s a trick or not.

I’ve had a Razer keyboard and mouse for 2 years, and the only issue I’ve ever had is the light on 1 switch sometimes doesn’t sync up with the rest.

I have the same headset, and tbh, they arne’t that very good imho.

Dolby mode, the audio is further to the back. DTS is also flawed too. Well Logitech headset always seem to have a flaw with the left ear piece anyways, even after I got it replace with my warranty.

Fancy headset helps a bit, but the most important factor is still the game engine. For example, I find the ambient audio in CS:GO is so well done, you don’t even need a good headset.

1 Like

Anyway, to answer OP:

Dolby Atmos is an extra meta-information layer which is (for consumers) layed over a Dolby TrueHD audiotrack (on, for example, BluRay). This extra information provides additional audio which can be positioned within a room (environment) in 3D.

To take a step back;

Dolby 7.1 (I presume you mean Dolby TrueHD 7.1) is an audio track which has 7 ‘normal’ channels and 1 subwoofer channel. These are placed on the locations: Front Left, Center, Front Right, Surround Left, Surround Right, Rear Left and Rear Right.

This creates a 2 dimensional circle around you making it possible to position a sound anywhere on this circle. You can’t, however, position the audio above (or below). Hence the 2D circle.

Dolby Atmos, on the other hand, is in its base form a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio track. On top of this, it has additional information stored (small audio tracks and position information) which makes it possible to not only have this audio be placed on the circle around you, but also be positioned ABOVE this circle.

This does, however, require that you have a Dolby Atmos enabled receiver and have extra speakers positioned above your current speakers. Or make use of special “Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers”.

When you have those, the Dolby Atmos receiver will use the basic TrueHD 7.1 audio track to be played on your normal speakers. And using the extra information it will calculate which height speaker should be used to display that piece of audio information.

If you don’t have height speakers, but do have a Dolby Atmos receiver, the receiver will use the extra information to enhance the basic TrueHD 7.1 audio track.

To sum up; Dolby Atmos can position audio and sound not only around you, but also above you.

My only point was that regular 7.1, even software simulated is enough to hear where the sound is coming from in Overwatch.

I don’t understand. With the software turned off I can’t hear where the sounds is coming from, with it turned on I can. It works and nothing more is needed for performance.

3 Likes

How come? They’re closed headphones the space is fixed. You set it up once it works for life

1 Like

It doesn’t matter. It still works.

1 Like

I bought a normal logitech mouse in 2007 and still solid like rock, no need to even change the mats, no tracking problems.

Bought around 6 products from Razer ( long time ago) and all of their products failed in less than 5 months.

I mean there are people who buys those expensive mechanical Razer keyboards for 150-200 usd with "Razer exclusive switches " who are nothing but cheap made in China ones instead of Cherry.

My last pair of "gaming "headsets were the Logitech G933 7.1, not bad, very comfy and the mic was meh. Then I bought the Sennheiser 598 SR a normal headphone stereo 2.0 and beats the crap of the Logitech one, no need to download additional software just plug and go.