6v6 might be better for character balance

Nah two tanks was boring a ****

You may be right, but at the same time, going to 5v5 gave as much room to shine for some characters as it took away the (recoverable) room for error others had.

They could experiment with a separate 6v6 mode for a while to see which one players prefer, or is easier to balance, but search times in some modes are slow enough as they are. It’d be about as likely to fail as it is to fully bring it back.

6v6 was tried and it ended. Get over it man. 5v5 makes the game tremendously easier to balance and add new hero’s. Playing support sucking in 6v6. Constantly healing and never being allowed to do any damage of your own. Dps was boring af shooting shields all day and constantly going on new angles to look for the tiny section where you can get a kill. Tank was trash too. Being forced to hold shield or play scared due to fear of being chain CC’d constantly. 5v5 is healthier for the game. One might argue that 6v6 was more fun, and I’d disagree. However, 5v5 is factually healthier and easier to balance then 6v6 ever could have been

OW1 was 6v6 for years… Its not all about 6v6 but balance was poor imo.
I feel like people who talk about 6v6 are OW1 veterans that want their game back rather playing a new game with new rules, new mindset. I understand that but if they bring 6v6, it would probably be an arcade mode ; in other words, not balanced at all.

I remember OW being sold like a “competitive” game. The more time has passed on OW1, the less competitive it felt : the double shields strat, flanking was impossible, supports were mindlessly healing, etc…

I do wish they bring 6v6 in arcade ; I feel it is better to chill, for fun. But I do feel since 5v5, the game feels more competitive. Even without the scoreboard, I can tell if I’m doing good or not in the game. I feel its easier to build the team composition : you have less heroes to counter, so you can focus on helping your team and not being just counterpicking.

1 Like

…and no one saw this issue coming? I mean, sometimes you can’t…but I find it hard to believe they went to this extreme to balance something that only required a few tweaks. (DB)

I wonder if there was another reason…oh, right. More dps agency.

If you’re bad dps like me you still die but less often than you did when you had to be up against a peeler tank/dps.

Or…stop playing (as many have). If they changed it once they can change it again, and they will if OW2 keeps bombing.

Yes because they deleted it. Millions of people played and loved OW1 for years, and they deleted the game and put a subpar version in its place and people are just like, well just shrug and move on!

Literally half the promises they made in the latest update people are drooling over is to remove the changes they’ve made that make the game far worse than OW1 ever was.

What’s next, in the future are we going to celebrate their removal of map pools and kiss their feet for giving us something that was already way better before they decided we don’t deserve it?

3 Likes

Both have their ups and downs, the best we can hope for is that they make the right adjustments down the line. I am an OW1 vet myself, I stopped playing since before Echo was released because of connection issues that lasted like a week exclusive to this game that were so severe hacking would’ve levelled the playing field.

Rubberbanding, so the game isn’t registering my movements.

Shots refunding, so the game isn’t registering me shooting. Abilities were the same. Imagine using Cassidy’s regular fire and shooting 11 times before reloading, 4 of those shots in under a second.

What good would an aimbot do if you can’t move and ≥50% of your shots are blanks?

Not sure how you know that… Since 2019, I feel like OW1 was dying. The DPS queue time was over 6 min anytime of the day… Even in QP.

Which are ?
People need to remember it takes time. Like, devs told about thinking of a Support reworks, like 10 days before season 2 and players went mad cause the rework wasn’t part of season 2… It takes time to think about solutions and trying them. And sometimes, when you try it, you realise it doesn’t work. A good example of that is Moira Purple ball in beta.

Map pools is OW1 idea.

Actually… the game balance didn’t hold up to 6V6

The issues stem from the fact that Blizzard didn’t impose re-works as much as they should have

Imagine if they did the Orisa re-work in OW1… same with the Zarya… then added Junkerqueen, Sojourn and Ram

no they cant…the game engine was designed/coded for 5 players…at this point it would take remaking the game…theyre not doing it

and yes…stop playing is also an option…as it was for 6v6 as well (as many did then too)…

either way the game is 5v5 now

1 Like

Now ur just making stuff up.
Game engine designed/coded for 5v5 :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Some of these statements and assumptions are coming out of no where. Some are just lying being totally disingenuous. “6v6 prevented one hero from being OP”. No, it didn’t. There was not more variety, there were hard metas frequently. The “synergies” were the same tired combinations and you got berated by toxic players for mixing it up. Some players are dependent on another hero to make up for the flaws or weaknesses of a hero that they should’ve had or their poor performance. And yet, a tank player back then felt they weren’t a tank, frequently complained about dying fast regardless. There was more CC that was annoying to everyone, and flankers aren’t even that much of a problem now unless you’re a stationary sitting duck and still playing like it’s old OW; no awareness, tunnelvision, not moving around the maps with your team. If you’re a “back line” player (or not the main initiator of a fight or support), you should also be fighting once in a while. And sometimes part of the game is taking a fight not on your terms but still defending and holding your own. Both sides have flaws, they will never be perfect but to ignore the past problems just because you don’t like the current trend now out of spite, is ridiculous.

1 Like

Well… Why not 6v6, but no shields? Instead of 1 OP tanks, 2 half stats hero with lower DPS output?

Why are we keeping this meta of “squishies that can’t do anything and get rekt” esp supports one one hand and “omg this tank will never die unless it’s 3v1” in the first place?

Look rein is a perfect example you can either hold shield or a swing a hammer,
Now they took away his right hand and you have to either defend or attack but you can’t do both with only 1 hand.
So basicly rein is handicapped now, you used to be able to do both.

It’s not handicapped, it’s making rein players play smarter. You shouldn’t be able to defend and attack at the same time. Rein is fine where he’s at. Not meta, but absolutely useful even up in gm

He is handicapped he’s missing his right hand

Because the real problem was never two shields. I feel like people still fail to realize that the issue was always having two tanks in general. A rule of thumb for any game with roles, is always have less tanks than dps. This forced tanks to be considerably weaker and unfun to play.

I’m pretty sure rein has two hands. He doesn’t need a right hand to do anything. He can hold shield to protect himself and he can attack when he’s full health. If you need a second tank to be good at rein, you were never a good rein player in the first place

Yeah and does zero to protect the team.

The largest health pool and sized shield in the game does nothing to protect his team? Lmao your delusional