Overwatch 2 PvP Beta: Week 2 Developer Blog

Overwatch 2 PvP Beta: Week 2 Developer Blog

The team is back for another developer blog after week 2 of the Overwatch 2 PvP Beta!

View Full Article

40 Likes

About time!
I’m first tonight.

After reading what they have written, did I just read correctly that they actually consider winrate when balancing?
Also, read this Junkrat/Symmetra mains:

"Junkrat continues to present interesting design questions. We’ve considered increasing Frag Launcher’s projectile speed; however, we found that by doing so, we risked making his signature weapon feel like more of a rocket launcher. Instead, we’re exploring ways to better reward direct hits as a form of skill expression.

We agree with community feedback that the reduction of shields being thrown about the battlefield makes Symmetra’s Photon Projector harder to get value from. At the same time, Symmetra is suffering from increased overlap with heroes like Mei, who possess better tools for close quarters survivability. While these heroes aren’t our current focus, they’re on our radar for future adjustments and continued monitoring."

At the bottom of the article.

It generally doesn’t sound like they get the point with Junkrat and his trap. Also, why take winrate into consideration? I’d like to see the real percentages from them, since they apparently have them.

8 Likes

Mercy

As any veteran Mercy player will tell you, the full potential of Mercy is not unlocked until you’ve learned the techniques that accompany her kit—particularly the “super jump.” While there are many guides and videos for those wanting to learn the method, it ultimately requires a complicated sequence of keystrokes and conditions that are not accessible or apparent to the average player.

I’m a simple QP warrior but super jump is not that hard.
It’s literally pressing ctrl + shift simultaneously and then spacebar when you dip.

52 Likes

Nothing for the tanks? Bye~

1 Like

i mean last week they did literally say they were focusing on supports
you just…hate ow2, just admit it and go find something you love

44 Likes

nothing for me, bastion?

Ok

Beta queue times are now faster than the 6v6 live service

Damn what will people complain about now?

33 Likes

It’s nice article until they said Symmetra and Junkrat aren’t priority.
Wth - you unsuccessfully reworked Symmetra 2 times and still don’t know what to do with her?
Just make her proper support! She sucks as DPS because her whole kit is charge this, charge that.

15 Likes

We agree with community feedback that the reduction of shields being thrown about the battlefield makes Symmetra’s Photon Projector harder to get value from. At the same time, Symmetra is suffering from increased overlap with heroes like Mei, who possess better tools for close quarters survivability.

This is not her only issue. We have seen her design as a whole not be able to fit in OW2. TP strats are pointless, having to use all your cooldowns to set up a quasi-effective flank when there are existing heroes that can flank just as well without doing that, the list of problems goes on.

She needs more than primary and survivability adjustments. An overhaul is due.

32 Likes

Nothing for Reaper?
Oh right they hate him, never mind :ghost: :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

This explains so much of their weird and nonsensical balance changes.

This also explains why junkrat and Symmetra got ignored. Because they have an inflated winrate. This also explains why mei has gotten nothing but mostly nerfs despite always being bottom tier.

17 Likes

You know what’s even more depressing?

This game was months/years in development with a lot of internal testing with devs, with family and friends of the devs and with pros.

Does this mean they were never a priority?

16 Likes

Both heroes excelled as shield breakers

Sorry but Junkrat has never excelled at this. Heroes like Hanzo and S76 have always been better at being shield breakers.

At the same time, Symmetra is suffering from increased overlap with heroes like Mei, who possess better tools for close quarters survivability.

It took this long to realize this? I’ve been saying for years now that Symm was always a poor pick due to poor close combat survivability. Other heroes can do close combat and have FAR better survivability.

23 Likes

So basically the dev team recognizes supports need work, and even the best players in the world are dying too often.

Basically the exact opposite of the Your Overwatch guys and they’re supports are fine take.

Glad to see the dev team’s data is matching many support players observations. Hopefully they can get things to a better spot.

53 Likes

Didn’t junk used to be one of the go-to shield breakers in early overwatch?

3 Likes

I like that they’re sharing winrates with us. I hope one day they’ll publish full pickrate/winrate stats so we can move away from overbuff as a source.

22 Likes

montage-worthy new passive ability for Zenyatta.”

Guys please, dont.

2 Likes

"Junkrat continues to present interesting design questions. We’ve considered increasing Frag Launcher’s projectile speed; however, we found that by doing so, we risked making his signature weapon feel like more of a rocket launcher. Instead, we’re exploring ways to better reward direct hits as a form of skill expression. "

So were we talking to a wall when the huge majority of us said the problem that should be adressed first was the reworked trap? That was literally the most brought up thing. So instead of fixing something that’s really bad right now you are going to only further enhance what is already good about him and leave it at that? That sounds… very counter productive.

But otherwise thank you for the blog post. Was wondering if we’d get one this week or not.

3 Likes

Still nothing for Doomfist. Not even saying you’re considering his weakness… I just pressed CTRL+F and typed Doomfist cos thats all I’m interested in with how weak he is.

I’m pretty sure we knew the upcoming updates were going to be regarding supports. Don’t act surprised.

8 Likes