Uniting gameplay and style: Behind Overwatch 2's complex map design

Uniting gameplay and style: Behind Overwatch 2's complex map design

Form meets function—the beauty of art within the complexity of map design.

View Full Article

16 Likes

He goes on to describe the Push maps as, “…a little more porous, meaning it’s easier for flanking. You need to watch multiple locations.”

Here’s hoping there’s an option to NOT queue for push maps…

19 Likes

i’ll refuse to get queued for push maps more than 2CP, Respawn and get blamed for dying simulator is gonna be really easy to get.

6 Likes

Haven’t even played the mode yet, c’mon

42 Likes

These look so cool! Can’t wait to play them. Great job Overwatch Team!

11 Likes

“One example includes adding cover to existing Overwatch maps to accommodate having one less tank”

A good thing for sure. Worried that this speficially wasn’t mentioned more over the years.

22 Likes

I mean, they described it as an intentionally fast-paced map that favors flankers. I like slower-paced rounds and dislike dealing with extremely prominant flanking.

Maybe it’ll surprise me and I’ll enjoy it, but if not, I’m hopeful they include options to actually queue for specific modes instead of just everything and you get what you get.

9 Likes

Okay great, so… When might we expect to play it?

2 Likes

I’m curious if the ‘total flanker dominance’ we’ve been hearing about is mainly from these maps.

2 Likes

Cool now give me OW2 new skin reveals.

1 Like

The art team behind these backgrounds are incredibly talented and these maps are the only thing I’m looking forward to in ow2

Just hope they aren’t terrible for the game modes they’re intended

April 26th if you get into the beta.

4 Likes

I hope complex dosen’t mean “Here, have two chokepoints on each side of the map instead of one.”

The maps looks good but is yet to see how they plays. Also doesn’t look much different than OW1 maps.

And I hope the name of the mode changes so it doesn’t sound like a backyard game for toddlers or something.

1 Like

From what we’ve seen the new maps have more verticality to them than OW1 maps

1 Like

To be fair, did you watch the stream of it way back? It looked worse than 2CP lol.

I did not and am imagining it to be somewhat like Tower Control in Splatoon, which is my favorite mode in that game

So I want to try it out before making any judgements about how pro players play the game

1 Like

I love KotH, so in theory, I really want to love Push too.

Hopefully it was just a bad showing and/or get major improvements, cause boy, was it ever a a miserable deathmatchy clusterduck on that stream.

2 Likes

People complain about push…not played the mode and the game!

wait for more 19 days.

6 Likes

I already called it that push is gonna become the new 2CP. Can’t wait to see them have to remove Rome from comp, then from QP and then just the whole mode because people keep dodging them maps. At some point they’ll just gonna be like: “No more maps ever. Go make your workshop maps”.