You Look Like You’ve Seen a Ghost: Interview with Community Artist NIRA

You Look Like You’ve Seen a Ghost: Interview with Community Artist NIRA

Community artist NIRA joins us for an interview about their experience working with the Overwatch team on the Reaper’s Code of Violence Challenge!

View Full Article

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen a ghost. It’s called the spirit of the game leaving it’s rotting corpse.

44 Likes

As harsh as that was.

It is a little real.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, they set themselves up for that one.

Lack of content and barely any communication for years, countless people saying the game is dying/dead, and this post decides to say “You Look Live You’ve Seen a Ghost”

Too hard not to take up.

4 Likes

Also these kind of topics they post are a little too…. “Automatic”?

(Don’t know if that’s the right word)

Maybe “robotic”

1 Like

Blizzard don’t post the same thread twice challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

4 Likes

Probably so the notifications don’t go to anyone at Blizzard because they know the feedback that isn’t OW2 news will be overwhelmingly negative.

Best to just ignore one

When your game is so dead that you start posting interviews about a skin as “exciting news” / content.

9 Likes

And stories that are just recycled content

Last event:

“Guys heres an amazing essay written up about the history of the 2 skins we made when we normally make 5”

10 Likes

Meanwhile: other games post tons of new stuff

Been calling OW the ship of theseus for a reason.

1 Like

Such a huge fail in marketing and in execution.

A campaign game was widely requested, but this whole “PVP overhaul, 5v5 etc.” crap is just un-necessary, its a massive “who asked?” because all of these crappy format changes wouldn’t be necessary if they just fixed their damn game. If they actually attacked the problems instead of nerfing everything about a hero EXCEPT for the problem, we wouldn’t be nearly as screwed balance wise right now.

Very ironic that they release a story about a hero who wants to take out problems at their root yet can’t do that themselves for their own game’s health.

If they could actually fix their game’s issues by attacking problems at the root, we wouldn’t have to be removing a tank, or reworking a bunch of heroes. Hell, we might’ve kept getting new heroes and maps if they weren’t so oblivious to what makes things problematic.

These short stories and skin events would be a welcome addition instead of this carrot they’re dangling over us to distract us from not getting any substantial content or OW2 news.

5 Likes

It’s no surprise then in the end, that Microsoft ended up buying Blizzard.

Though I think that was the real plan all along.

Becoming cheaper to sell out.

1 Like

I’m still baffled that after GOATS, they nerfed every part of Mei’s kit except for the part that was the problem: pierce-freezing. That was implemented to mitigate GOATS’ effectiveness, yet once that meta was over and done with, they kept it, which soon caused more problems (like a lot of things post GOATS).

I firmly believe that they really don’t have anything meaningful to show for Overwatch 2.0? We would’ve already heard from them, surely, if they something of note? Of course, this could also be a bungle by the company where they are just withholding information for no real beneficial reasoning?

1 Like

Mei is a good example, though I also use Doomfist.

Doomfist’s problem was the punch-bot playstyle, specifically one shot punch kills.

What did they do?

Nerfed his passive
Nerfed punch charge time
Nerfed uppercut’s recovery
Nerfed meteor strike
Nerfed his CC in general
Nerfed his primary fire by making it have more bullets I.E. wider spread
Nerfed his primary by giving it damage falloff

Notice how none of these address the actual problem? Some of them were needed, yes, but none of them address public enemy #1. It if anything reinforced the problematic playstyle.

1 Like

This games balance team is just unbelievably trash, I still remember that one golden month where the game was actually balanced and fun but then they released a patch and buffed brig

2 Likes

Another thing about Doomfist is his Seismic Slam: the only real way to get actual value with it is by doing the “techniques” which require Doomfist to pretty much abuse the weird map geometry. An ability that is only good when you have to use an exploit isn’t really a good ability. Not to mention how counter-intuitive his Meteor Strike is.

Now, I actually like Doomfist (I even got one of his achievements after a lot of work) but the character is a pretty good testament to poor design philosophy/choices.

1 Like

Never forgetting that.

They saw a really good patch for the game, hell even Seagull came back, then thought

“Lets buff brig and give Baptiste a garage door for an ultimate”

All they had to do, was do what they’re doing right now, NOTHING, and the game would’ve been better than it is right now.

1 Like

I have hundreds of hours on Doom and have both his achievements, and even I think he’s unhealthy.

I hold strong philosophy that a hero should either have mobility, or have CC, never both. Genji and Tracer are perfect examples of healthy flankers for the game. Doom? Not so much.

It’s counter-intuitive in my opinion, if I were to make a game, one of my primary fundamentals would be “A hero cannot be allowed to have their own primary counter as an ability”