5v5 Will Destroy the Game

The livestream was on a very early build my guy

so just as a noteā€¦ if in likeā€¦a year or so, whenever ow2 comes out, if I see YOU posting how fun it is playing tankā€¦do I have permission to link this post back to you and waggle my finger

1 Like

nope because I still wonā€™t be playing the tank role dps and support are infinitely more fun

SOā€¦IF you DO, do what I saidā€¦you will say you never said tanks were gonna be bad?

Canā€™t wait for that to happenā€¦
I play support when i want more power and way more agency over the match.

With 5v5 i might even finally play more tank.
So many garbage games bc bad tank teamwork

oh, you mean like 222 which was supposed to make tanks stronger since you couldnt stack 3-4 of them?
Yeahā€¦ that worked out wonderfully.

If anything expect even more nerfs now that the best tank will dominate the meta far more than any other hero.

Also your hero is probably going to be reworked and play fundamentally different

2 Likes

To be honest, the number 1 thing killing me as Mercy is dive tanks. I think there are certain scenarios where having 1 tank will make it easier for supports.

Yep. 5v5 is gonna be a complete nightmare for everyone who isnā€™t playing flankers or snipers, which is what literally everyone who doesnā€™t play this hates. I sincerely hope that theyā€™ll nerf both types into the ground before OW2 comes out and weā€™re forced into a 5v5 meta, because ainā€™t nobody gonna leave the PvE gamemodes if a constant streak of flanker/sniper garbage is waiting for them in the PvP modes. This is literally the worst case scenario for the game and currently it seems like this is what weā€™re heading into :frowning:

1 Like

Nahā€¦ it will fix the game

Ana, Baptiste, Brig, Moira, Lucio, Zen.
The only hero who is even remotely ā€œeasyā€ is mercy, and even then low skill floor =/= low skill ceiling.
DPS moira, DPS ana, Reddit Lucio also prove ā€œpeople are mostly healbotsā€ is false.

Sure it was.

And when they interviewed Super on his thoughts and he brought up the CC issues that currently exist and how OW1 maps were made for 6v6, the devs seemed stunned and caught off guard.

That interaction should destroy any playerā€™s faith that they know what theyā€™re doing. I mean he caught them in an absolute pickle and they had no idea how to respond or that these were potential issues.

Who wants to play this game? Tanks will be playing respawn simulator, DPS will be playing cod, and supports will be playing cod, BUT you get to heal yourself. Does that sound like a game anyone wants to play?

1 Like

Tanks will be playing CoD too. Four of them already are(Hog, Hammond, Sigma & Rein). Thats why I said Brawler, the category name better be changed to that, or Bruiser or Heavy. Because thatā€™s what theyā€™ll be.

The old Tanks played respawn simulator.

Blizzardā€™s been going in an FPS direction for 3 years now, and its the only way to fix OW now. They wont go back to old OW, and theyā€™d screw it up if they did.

If everyone are dmg dealers, then thereā€™d be no more DPS tryhards, first of all. Nearly all the Healers are playing CoD right now, but Genji alone slaughters them, the Healer part of them holds them back. That wouldnt be the case if they were fully DPS with CC, speed boost or other supportive abilities.

5v5 means one less teammate to worry about. Think about all the dumb teammates in OW1ā€™s 6v6, then imagine 5v5.

Also, it will be possible to win alone, ot greatly contribute alone. So, no more being weighed down by teammates with the weak mindset of ā€œits just a gameā€, or ā€œits just QP/Arcadeā€, etc.

No updates for years will destroy the gameā€¦ oh wait.

1 Like

You know the role is called ā€œsupportā€ not healer right?

Save that bs for OW2, because the job of healing will be dead by then, making the Support response finally make sense.

In OW1 on the otherhand, the category had ONE job. In fact, you never hear that one voice line say ā€œI need supportā€. Healing was all they had to do.

Until Blizzard turned most of them into DPS. Mercyā€™s the only actual Healer left, but sheā€™ll get a heal nerf & DPS buff sooner than later. Brigā€™s dead & wont get a rework until OW2.

Does the game really need more help in falling apart? I think Blizzard has already done a bang up job in destroying it.

1 Like

All this will do is equalizing their ability kits until they are basically interchangeable.

Winston gets a range attack, Reinhardt better mobility, Roadhog abilities to actively protect his teammates and so on.

It might help them to balance the game (though I wonā€™t believe it until I see it), but overall it makes playing Tank bland and even less engaging.

On the flipside for people who limit themselves to viable tank heroes they get to play a wider range of playstyles.
All of which are geared towards being more Fun.

I donā€™t really care about purely theoretical variety.

Iā€™m a GM support player and I couldnā€™t disagree more. I think that 5v5 is what is going to be the saving grace for the game. Please also consider that most of the support heros are not functioned to be heal bots. Also, a huge point I see a lot of people miss in their discussions for 5v5 is that, fundamentally, very nearly every hero will get some form of rework to fit in the confines of 5v5.

We see a lot of discussion about the tanks, of courseā€¦but people seem to be viewing that in a bubble. Even just considering tanks; every tank is getting beefed up in some capacity to make up for having just one. So the idea that ā€˜Oh, there is only one tank, who will peel for the supportā€™ is only being viewed as if one tank from OW1 is missing and that is the only change to the game. Thatā€™s obviously not the case. A front line ā€˜brawlerā€™ tank will have more in their kit -take Rein, who has mode damage and maneuverability- to help out, rather than just having to sit in a choke with a shield up.

You seem to also be missing the idea that all the roles are getting new passives. The tanks are getting a form of steadfast and diminished ult charge (which favors support ults over DPS ults then, realize). The DPS will all gain a movement speed buff -which also will tremendously help with conceptual peel-, and the supports all are getting a HoT similar to Mercyā€™s. Thatā€™s tremendous.

It goes without saying that any support has to be able to exist in the face of a dive. If you are playing support and just outright collapse every time you are dove, you will drop SR because you will lose. The support heros are all strong, and all of them have a viable way of dealing with or mitigating dives. Peel is for something even extra beyond that. So if you canā€™t preform on your support hero, you will go down in SR, rightfully so.

But even consider the minutia of the rebalances that have to go on in the support role; a hero like Mercy, who is stronger the less she has to focus on a group, and then consider 30s rez on the all-important solo-tank, will feel dominant. Then look at Lucio, who is stronger in groups and is a support intended to work well with tanks, and he will feel weaker. That alone will show what sort of scope rebalances need to look like. Who is to say that each supportā€™s survivability is not brushed up in some way?

Though, to be fair, they donā€™t need to be. If youā€™re playing support and dying to dives all the time without peelā€¦youā€™re not playing the hero well, tbh. You donā€™t have to win the 1v1 with Tracer or Doom or Winston all the time, but you certainly have the tools to survive it or get them to leave.