Together We Are Strong! - Designing Zarya in Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm

Together We Are Strong! - Designing Zarya in Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm

Find out what goes into designing an iconic Hero that exists in two Blizzard universes.

View Full Article

6 Likes

Zarya’s ultimate is not the longest charging in the game

2 Likes

Sasha, Sashenka, Sashunia is the only true woman in OW.

“While many Heroes (such as Bastion, Mercy, and Symmetra) have seen significant changes to their abilities throughout the years, Zarya’s design has remained relatively untouched.”

I don’t know if I agree with this.

Zarya’s abilities do work alot differently then did say 3-4 years ago.

Man i LOVE Applebees!

2 Likes

Anyway, I actually prefer Zarya to have her ult switched out for the other one used in Heroes of the Storm.

I felt it suited her more.

“While we are unlikely to see Zarya in the dungeons of Tristram or roaming the Shadowlands”

Oh come on. I wanted to see Zarya in Shadowlands :sob:

Honestly that part just felt like an ad.

Zarya “already feels like a raid boss in Overwatch when she’s fully powered up and running through your back lines… so, maybe as a WoW raid boss?”

I really can’t wait for the Zarya raid boss in WoW :heart_eyes:

What a great article. Thank you.

How about D.va next? Would love to see your research on Korean culture as well. Dva demonstrates the blizzard’s relationship with Korea in real life (rise of eSports in Korea with Starcraft 1).

I feel like the character Dva in OW is a love letter to Korea.

… They do? How? outside of balance changes they work the same from what Ive seen

3 Likes

For one they didn’t cleanse, nor stop charging at 40%…

Plus other interactions that are no longer a thing.

the first one was a minor interaction change that didnt even affect all CCs, the second one was a balance change going from 50% charge from a single bubble to 40%… that isnt nearly the same as Mercy getting a new ultimate and ability or Symmetra getting changed to what she is now

she definitely works very largely the same as she did before

3 Likes

The small things can matter more then you let on.

they matter but that clearly isnt what they meant with that sentence, they were talking about extremely large gameplay changes, those tiny ones do change how she plays in a minor way but no where near as much as the reworks did to those characters

1 Like

Not here to argue again Ceb.

Focusing else where anyway.

Really dope read! I love learning more about the design process. Thank you!

Why is there two of these topics.

They also took out a lot of Zarya’s nuance with changes in beam and explosion size with energy and homogenized them.

I must say, that Zarya in OverWatch is the sexiest and most beautiful of all the female roster. Her looks akin to the classical russian beauty and strong features of a bodybuilder (thank god, not overbuilt!) make her stand out!