4th role idea: Flex Role, too complicated?

Its not going to happen, its an attempt at a compromise that cannot happen due to the problems it brings. Its posted in the vain hope that somehow the idea will take root, I assure everyone, it will not.

AKA 3 DPS, 1 TANK AND 2 SUPPORTS

Yeah, terrible idea. The devs have been developing this overall very beneficial system for one whole year and are not going to suddenly change it.

Just. Get. Over. It.

Thats a terrible argument, So what ? We cant change anything developed past some work time treshold? Features suddenly turn into stone? Devs have been developing the whole game for more than 5 years, doesnt mean we cant explore new areas still to improve upon.

Suddenly change it? You speak like I demanded this suggestion to be implemented in the next PTR or something, why not next year? this is not about timeframes or getting over anything but about concepts, and I find Flex as a concept in itself a very under represented aspect of overwatch, and that could be better supported by a system to produce and showcase players that fall within this category

It wouldn’t be a terrible problem.
2/2/2 should have been more like 1 of each at least and 3 max but with separate SR that can’t be a thing.

I just want you to consider this:

Imagine you’re a game developer. You have been given tens of thousands of dollars and have been working on one sole feature for more than 365 days straight.

You finally release that feature and overall everything’s seems to be going fine and the grand majority of your player base seems very pleased with the change.

But, you realise that there’s also a part of people, who for all intents and purposes represent a very small minority, who aren’t pleased with the system for some reason or another.

What would you do? Would you simply delete a very large part of work just to please that small group of people (because that’s what the change you’re suggesting would involve - and I haven’t even to into the terrible solo - Tanking aspect of it which it is suggesting) and most probably even cause problems for much more players in the meantime, or just go with it, do any minor necessary changes and bug fixes and provide work - around for those players who want to experience what your game previously offered, like Quick Play Classic on Arcade.

What would you choose and all of it from a completely objective and logical standpoint?

You can’t always please everyone. Again, just deal with it.

I would estimate first what the complaints can bring to the table if adressed , even if its a minority speaking working through it can ultimately result in a better version of the game even if so slightly (good ideas can come from anywhere)

If the complaints have valid concerns and represent authentic room for growth for the game I would try to build on top of the previous system if possible (which is what Im actually suggesting).

I dont see why suggesting to add 2 flex roles on top of the role queue equals to deleting it (you still have fixed roles) , im just adding a new component to it that can potentially lead to better experiences if implemented correctly

Im also suggesting to have a system that ensures that theres always in the team people capable to play 3 tanks or 3 healers or 3 DPS if the team needs to but people likes to fixate on the narcissistic outcomes only… but even in that scenario of 3 dps, 1 tank, 2 supports is not by any means a terrible composition, its definitively something you can work with

Not trying to please everyone with this idea, its just about thinking for more ways to add depth and how to make the experience more interesting, 2-2-2 is overly simplistic and I think it can be a more authentic Overwatch experience with some tweaks.

I think authentic actual Flex players are very cool people that contribute a lot to the OW experience and this makes me wish the game was designed in such a way to promote and reward this, anything!

But perhaps if I need to explain it this much it’s not a good idea after all