40 million players? are you sure blizzard?

Don’t be so negative, only 90% of them are alt accounts!

8 Likes

40 million accounts but it takes me 2+ minutes to find a QP in Southern California at an average rank. :face_with_monocle::thinking:

3 Likes

The matchmaking is is making sure you are getting into balanced match :^)

3 Likes

True, you have to balance the stomps on both sides.

5 Likes

90% sure its 40 million accounts that bought overwatch

This doesn’t include how many are actually playing, how many have quit, or how many of them are just multiple accounts.

2 Likes

40 million accounts world wide
4 regions to play = 10 million accounts
3 platforms per region = 3.33 million accounts
5~ servers per region (Overwatch Forums) = 666,000 accounts
3~ timezones per region =222,000 accounts
(speculation time) 20% alt/smurf accounts = 176,600 accounts

Gold is the average rank, right? And QP matches similarly with comp rank, as far as we know. 59,000 accounts
59,000 accounts of the West Coast of the United States; .1% of the population of the West Coast.
Assuming most OW players have work or class or are just generally busy during the day, and OW tries to match people to be fairly close together to cut down on Lag, waiting a minute or two isn’t that bad. Now if it were consistent 5 minute waits or longer for someone in gold, then there’d be a problem

10 Likes

Thanks for that!

20 20

so 1 person has 40 accounts?

no but you can have 24 players playing one hour a day and only have 1 person active at a time

they are probally also counting all the accounts that get made for free weekends that never get activated

1 Like

Where is this 40mil number coming from? Have Blizzard officially posted this somewhere recently?

Actually it’s around 4,500,000 monthly played accs

Supposedly all this and they still cheap out on servers. Oh, I’m sorry if I don’t live in Irvine or Chicago.

25 million*

I own 3 accounts, but only really play on my main.

Then you have streamers and YT figures that have 5 or more.

And factoring in how many players stopped playing, out of my firends list of 3 pages, only 6 still play.

2 Likes

I’d say that a very conservative answer for active players would be around 6 million different people a month.

That sounds right actually. Did you get this data from anywhere?

This kinda reminds of the a smoker who had black lungs and said “Smoking is healthy because I didn’t get cancer yet!”

It’s an industry standard metric.

It’s their monthly active user count divided by 30. So take the number of players you get per day over the course of a month, and divide by 30.

If you play every single day on one account, you will count as one player after dividing the monthly active users by 30.

If you play every other day on one account, you will count as one half player.

If you play every day on a new acount, you will count as one full player.

You’re just guessing, aren’t you?

i guess you will like this topic:

1 Like