32ms to 52ms latency

Hi Blizzard,

About a year ago, my latency went up from 32ms to 52ms on west coast server games. I never filed a report when it happened because I just made up excuses in my head like, “Blizzard servers probably changed or moved”. A user in these forums let me know that servers haven’t changed and it’s always been in CA. On east coast servers, I am seeing around 98ms latency. It seems to be consistent with Overwatch servers. It really sucks because I want to be able to play with my mid-west friends but they pull east coast servers pretty constantly when I play with them.

I’ve had my lines checked by comcast, even put in new ones, replaced my modem, cables, and router. I’ve had my modem checked by motorola to ensure there are no errors or connection issues. My Xbox is hard wired, and that has always been the case. My NAT type is open. I’ve even tried swapping from IPv4 to IPv6 and all is the same. Speedtest shows I get between 5-9ms latency, and Xbox test shows 32ms latency. During the latency change, I made no changes to my devices.

When I play other games like COD, which has a dedicated server in CA as well, I see that I am at 32ms connecting to them.

Is there something I can do or can be done to look into this? I am not sure where else to start troubleshooting here. Any ideas on what causes this with Overwatch?

For Overwatch, this explanation from a dev may help:

AHHHH, that explains why RTT disappeared, I was confused about that. Thank you.

1 Like