3 Years NO GAME ENGINE UPDATE - FPS FIX?

‘I didn’t experience it so it doesn’t happen’

This game definitely does not run as good as it used to back at release, and a large reason for that is added particle effects. Moira is the number one culprit, lots of people complain about her ult especially ruining their FPS. I made my brother a budget PC so we could play OW together since he regularly plays on PS4, and he typically sits on 70 FPS averages but he stopped playing on PC altogether simply due to Moira. Coalescence is a killer.

3 Likes

The game still uses a lot of CPU.

i have not said that.

Additional demanding effects from new heroes is not an engine problem. One can expect if the game evolves over years people have to upgrade a bit along.

Beside of that any performance related issue of the last years have been either resolved fast or were related to something outside of overwatch, with the latter being the most often case.

Only because you or some people have performance issues does not mean the game has a problem.

2 Likes

Of course it does, for good reason.
This game does a decent work on precalculating and estimating players movement and game to make it work with any kind of network latency as if there is none.
And the precision of the the animations, reacting to what happens, i am wondering how good this works on my old rig.

1 Like

Doesn’t gpu determine stuff like animations? Moving the bones would probably be CPU but the model is what would make it look nice.

Note that there can be various reasons for low FPS or poor performance. I maintain a handy guide which gives key tips to setting up your PC to run Overwatch at its best potential:

3 Likes

The game is deliberately optimized to be heavier on the cpu, the integrated gfx casual market is too lucrative

I just upgraded from an i5 6500 to an i7 7700k, and with a 1070, I can run the game on medium at 100% render and 1440p and get 144hz.

But, I used to be able to run at these settings on my old GPU at launch, and get 144hz. But right before upgrading, I had to knock everything to low and 75% render to keep the frames up, and I still got drops. Over time, the performance just got worse and worse.

1 Like

Every one of them worse than the last one.
you can’t even look at the gallery anymore until everything is loaded.

1 Like

Wyoming Mist:

Your guides have made the game much better WM. I can already say that it has really helped out alot and I cannot thank you enough. :grinning:

However, Unlike all the other Triple-A titles that are on the market, we have to do EXTENSIVE tweaking to the computer in order to bring THIS game up from a sub-par performance. A player shouldn’t have to sift through BIOS, HPET, graphics drivers, and deep-system RAM settings such as Timings just to make Overwatch run better. The average PC user isn’t going to have the same experience as someone else that just goes in and does all of this.

. All games should be “Turn-key” and ready to go out of the box. I don’t ever recall a time where I had to tweak a system, even back in the 90s just to get a game to run decent. Even with the “No CD-disc” mods we did, so we could play games without the Disc. Was not nearly this extensive.

(lol Good old Gateway 2000s and Sony VAIO, AGP.) - Warcraft II.

What I would like to see in the next update and I think many folks here too. Would be; to see a game PATCH to the engine that begins utilizing the GPU properly. So we do NOT see a fluctuation of Frame rates that go from 180FPS to 70/90. Particle effects should be ALL handled by the GPU and NOT the CPU. Which when this game gets into heated action and movement. The only remedy we hear is “Turn DOWN our settings”. This should never be the case. Because other Triple-A titles have tighter particle effects and actions.

Which DO hold up and don’t dip like this one :expressionless:

If a person has to turn DOWN their graphics setting as far as they do (specifically in this game). Even on the GTX 1080, RTX 2060, RTX 2080 Ti. Than that means "that it is a GPU utilization issue". (as iterated by my uncle whom works for a big pharma-tek company in the IT engineers dpt)

Every type of IT tester, Reddit’s this problem, Youtubes it and vlogs about this game’s engine… being a pest to deal with.

Taur:
There is a PLETHORA of complaints on the customer support forum to overwatch about MANY people “cheesed-off” about this games’ frame rate issues. I agree with them.

I have no intention of sounding mean or nasty to anyone that works For Blizzard, or loves the company. I think we can all say we fairly like Blizzard here. But some performance issues have to be addressed.

Behavior interactive is doing it with their game now this year. (same, year 3-4 game title) so I think Overwatch can finally progress forward more. :wink:

Must be a problem with your system.

2 Likes

There are always people having some issues with game, on any game. There are so many configurations and problems on pcs which not necessary affect all games the same way.

3 Likes

Exactly. This time it happens to affect the OP but this doesn’t mean Overwatch is somehow badly optimized in comparison with every other game the OP has ever played. Sure, you could read a bunch of topics in this forum and come to the conclusion it is badly optimized but you don’t read anything from people who have zero issues. A technical support forum never paints a clear picture.

It actually amazes me how few threads even get created each day. It is really not that many. And of those posts most seem to be about connection issues or FPS loss thankd to Razer Synapse.

It sucks having technical issues with a game but unless you want help with an actual issue I don’t see the purpose of creating a topic acting as if the game is a technical mess. If you don’t seek help one may want to post in the general discussion forum instead.

1 Like

I think that issue is also related back to the fact that you’re playing on unsupported hardware. It’s not fair to blame Blizzard when they have the requirements posted. It was pure luck it worked all this time until recently.

2 Likes

That is a bad excuse. It worked before, now it doesn’t. Will they refund me the game if i can’t even play it anymore?

I don’t think think they even know the meaning of the word “optimization” anymore. It is like someone made this great and optimized engine once upon a time and then someone else came and threw any future optimization out of the window (reminds me of how windows updates are made)

1 Like

I doubt that, because the system requirements have been posted since before the game was released. It’s the player’s responsibility to make sure their system meets those specifications. If you decided to purchase anyway, and you were lucky enough to get it working, it still does not offer any guarantee it will keep working. In short, they aren’t going to optimize anything for a GPU they didn’t support to begin with.

5 Likes

This game is just 3 years old and is already demeaning better hardware. Nothing has been visually improved with the time.
I have a 10 years old game on my old laptop that can still run on it with almost the same performance as it first launched.

Eidt: Why was this thread even moved to tech support?

The game uses more resources on those pieces of hardware required since the release (nothing has changed yet), but that’s to be expected for any game that updates anything. I understand that it feels bad for the game to stop working after playing for this long, but this was going to happen eventually because you were running on borrowed time.

I mean, they could have at least improved the graphics if it is going to lag like this but I guess they are saving that for OW2.

ive overclocked my cpu, gpu, even the damn ram, just so i can play this game on potato settings but have it not feel like im aiming underwater.