3 players left during match! Why is this still a thing?

God I hate competitive match so much! Blizzard doesn’t do anything to prevent players leaving the match mid-game. Enemy team keeps attacking and they don’t care about our situation. We are 3 against 6 and they don’t even let us win and get a draw.

I AM LOSING SR POINTS AND IT’S NOT EVEN MY FAULT!

Who am I supposed to talk with? Should I contact directly to Jeff Kaplan?

1 Like

I mean this happens a lot so I believe contacting blizzard won’t really get anything done. I feel like the problem is that some people don’t leave on purpose so banning them or punishing them won’t really be good. I feel like if you lost due to a leaver your sr should only go down like 10.

1 Like

So you don’t want to lose because, someone or your team left, but you want the enemy to volunteer to lose because someone on your team left?

3 Likes

Placement match or normal match?

Blizzard should make it so if someone who is not on your friends list and you are not grouped with leaves a match you don’t get penalized for it. If they are on your friends list or you are grouped with them then you will lose SR.

I don’t see any realistic way for this to be abused and it would be good for everyone involved. The person who left should get the typical, 50SR loss.

What’s wrong with this idea? What am I missing and why is this not already implemented?

My best guess is that it will screw up the ladder. For every SR point that is given, someone else may have to lose SR so the ladder doesn’t get congested, but it would be nice to have an official answer to this.

4 Likes

Talking to anyone will not matter.
The system is flawed from its beginning to is end.
The only real solution to leaving, is remove the mode, stick the gold weapons as legendary items in a lootboxes and move along.
The only thing that competitive does is create a hostile playerbase. The ranks and scores are meaningless, leaving only gets you a incremental ban time, LFG now has groups messing with what little structure there is - and blizzard can only do one real thing, remove it.
Leave quick play for everything.

There really isn’t any other solution. Any other suggestion can and will get abused by the players, likely causing more trouble than what is worth.

I’d suggest trying to get a trusted six stack group together via LFG. Even five stacking is too risky imo as it only takes one thrower or idiot to screw you totally…

Only penalizing if you are in some way related to the person makes a lot of sense actually. I would defi knitely prevent abuse

1 Like

I don’t want to lose point. While the enemy is harassing and getting unfair win, it’s not ok.

Have you met many 10-year-olds? Consideration for others or for consequences are not really things.

1 Like

Sad but true. These kids show no empathy at all.

1 Like

So are you volunteering to lose when the enemy team loses someone?

3 Likes

There’s currently another thread that actually offers a viable solution.
New Leaver Policy Idea

1 Like

I read it.
I don’t know if it could work, but it’s better than nothing at all.
The problem isn’t in the person leaving, that’s just a symptom of the root cause.
The root cause of that the system itself is broken from its inception.
Any system that uses another mode to assess you before you click that competitive button is just outright junk.
Quick play is in no way a solid way of deciding mmr for competitive. But that’s what they do.
Every single thing is minor to that point.
Leaving a game? So what, the game and your numbers were flawed before that. So leaving presents no problem.

All the same, the idea there could work if the numbers cannot be manipulated, and I’m sure someone would figure out how.

They just need to enforce harsher leaver penalties.

At worst, people with bad connections suffer. At best, everyone else feels much better knowing a leaver is probably that much closer to a season ban.

I’m all in favor of extremely harsh leaver penalties, myself.

You get used to it. Sometimes it’s your side, sometimes it is theirs. I’m sure if the enemy team lost a player, you wouldn’t take it easy on them.Also, if you had 3 people leave your game, you should leave the moment that penalty timer is up because you have no chance of winning and you are wasting your time.

I don’t want to sound like a troll, but it is not required you for to play any given part of this game. I only say this because everyone plays video games to have fun. That definition of fun varies for each of us, such as wanting an engaging experience such as Competitive, or a casual freestyle experience like Arcade or Quick Play. But if you are not having fun with Competitive, take a break from Competitive at the very least.

There is a penalty system that implements suspensions to players when they leave a game, they also get a match loss with a fixed 50 SR deducation.

And they are right to do so in Competitive. Winning in Competitive is paramount, otherwise, it would not be Competitive. The way I see it, a 3 versus 6 is a lost cause, but that is why you have the option to forfeit and quit early without penalty (but still a loss).

Yes, but there are reasons for this. First (and again this sounds harsh) but the reality is that you lost the match. England had to play a man down due to injury in the World Cup in the final few minutes before they were bested by Croatia. Doesn’t sound fair, there are rules in place for this.

With us as a community, many of us here on the forums are experienced players and can help advise and encourage you. I myself am one of the forum MVPs and I work to educate other players about Overwatch’s features and Blizzard’s policies. While up front in a situation like this it doesn’t seem fair, believe me, these rules are in place to provide the best possible experience for everyone that plays Overwatch as a whole.

I hope this is sarcasm. Attempting to harass or defame any member of Blizzard Entertainment is prohibited per the Forum Code-of-Conduct.

This is correct, leavers include all players who disconnect or crash from the game and are penalized appropriately.

Competitive used to change the SR adjustments when there was a leaver. This no longer happens to prevent further leaver abuse. Learn more here:

The link above explains, but I will give another resource to futher elaborate. Principal Designer Scott Mercer has specifically stated:

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don’t want to create an awful situation where players who think they’re losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to “tactically” leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

This is good advice, also once you get Endorsement Level 2, you can only permit players who match that level. Leaving Competitive Matches causes severe deductions to your Endorsement rating,

1 Like

I love it how he doesn’t respond to this

Play Heroes of the Storm! - It is much better balanced and has got the superior matchmaking and ranking systems.

The reason for the drastic increase in the number of leaving players in comparison to season 1 is the change in Overwatch’s player base. While Overwatch was relatively niche at the very beginning, it is now widespread and has a much younger player base.

At the moment, your only chance is that Fortnite is going to free Overwatch from this playerbase :wink: . In the meantime, you could play Quake Champions and experience real fps skill first hand and get fragged. After QC, Overwatch feels slowmo :).
Regarding PvE fps experience, KF2 is recommended.

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don’t want to create an awful situation where players who think they’re losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to “tactically” leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

I appreciate the response with quote, and this response is mainly to Mercer who I know probably isn’t reading this. The chances of someone tactically leaving are probably extremely low. You can “tactically” leave a match in the first 90 seconds and save SR for your group-mates if it’s not going well yet I rarely see people do this, if ever. On the other hand, why would someone who is

1. Not in your group
  2. Not in your friends list

leave the game so that complete strangers won’t lose SR while giving themselves 50SR loss and a 10 minute suspension? If a person is being harassed to leave they will be more likely to stay just to spite the harassers, have you seen how stubborn people are when it comes to changing hero’s? Are we really supposed to believe that people won’t change hero’s but they’ll take a 50SR loss because a stranger told them to leave the game??

They should reconsider and implement no SR loss for people who are not friends or grouped with the person who left.