2 repeative disconnects with working internet = suspension?

first and foremost: Following the Support link to create a support request ticket, every, and I mean every permutation of answers to the botted questions result in a dead end. that’s not what one would expect.

However, I just had a double-disconnect and the first one with a straight rejoin to the game, whiel being mid-game, competive play. Note, I’m having 1Gbit/s internet connection and everything is working during that time of period (and in general), including Youtube during these very two Overwatch dc kicks.

The second disconnect resulted in a immediate suspension of competive play and i was refused to rejoin, even though my network is fully healthy and nothing else in my setup is experiencing any latency or connectivity issue. On top of that, you lose 50 points.

Please restore my 50 points. I do consider that an instability of the software Overwatch rather than on my end. I’d highly appreciate considering that.

Many thanks @Blizzard,
Regards.

Suspensions for disconnections are automatic, and cannot be appealed.

There is no way to prove where exactly your internet connection broke (and there are many steps between your computer and the Overwatch server, so even if it’s not at your home that doesn’t mean it’s at Blizzard’s end either). That’s why everyone who disconnects is punished the same way.

Even for types of discipline that can be appealed, the forums is not the appropriate place for it.

1 Like

I agree, I think if you come back during your disconnect; you should not have SR removed. I think this is something they implemented later.

It’s actually stupid and redundant.

Honestly, the SR penalty is 100% irrelevant and purely cosmetic.

It changes only your SR, not the underlying MMR. Your MMR will only change as a result of your performance in the game.

Since your MMR is not touched, and your SR is adjusted after each match to more closely reflect your current MMR… your SR will soon be back at being nearly equivalent to your MMR, exactly the same as if the penalty had never been placed.

1 Like

Think about that for a second.

What guarantee do you have that their SR will be back to its original values?

How do you enforce this policy?

And if it is indeed 100% cosmetic as you say, then your score card is actually meaningless and the real value is hidden from you to enforce a psychological response to the “loss” in SR.

Yes, it’s basically saying,

“You should feel bad for d/c’ing so we’ll take these pretend numbers you care about and lower them, but don’t worry we’ll rig the game so you’ll be back where you belong soon!”

That’s just a basic deduction from what we have been told about how SR works. SR is a user-friendly representation of MMR, which is constantly adjust towards your current actual MMR value.

If you don’t make any other change to the MMR, then by definition, your SR will catch up.

In the case of leaver penalties, which are divorced from any change to MMR, yes, that’s about the size of it.

In the case of an ordinary end-of-game scorecard, not really, because in that case MMR is changing, and then SR is changing to approximate the change in MMR.

Not really this, no. It’s more like you haven’t actually moved anywhere. The number that determines your matchmaking hasn’t changed, only the number that is displayed has changed.

But the display number is designed to reflect the underlying number, so inevitably the ‘punishment’ disappears.

Technically, if you’re right on the edge of a rank late in the season, it’s slightly more than cosmetic since SR is the value that counts for end of season rewards… but that’s a very marginal case.

1 Like

I just said exactly that. You disagree with the same thing you just said.

The fact that your MMR hasn’t moved means you’ll be paired with stronger teams until you’re back where you “belong.” Hence the rigged aspect.

Disagree with that fact if you like, but in either case

• your actual skill is higher than your SR

Or

• your MMR is higher than your SR

Only one of these should be true. And if it’s the former, then MMR is not a factor, nor should it be.

Stronger teams than what? Your MMR hasn’t changed.

If you’re at 2000SR on a mature account, so your MMR is exactly equivalent to 2000SR. You get a leaver penalty, it will say you are at 1950SR ; but it will still match you exactly the same as if you didn’t get the leaver penalty.

Assuming your are placed exactly where you belong and you alternate wins and losses staying right around 2000SR equivalent MMR, your SR will very soon be 2000SR again, because after each match SR is adjusted to better reflect your MMR.

There’s no “rigging”, unless you believe that skill-based matching is “rigging”.

MMR represents your skill as the game understands it, and that’s what you’re always matched on in order to make as even a match as possible.

It would, IMO, be much worse if your MMR was adjusted for a disconnect, as that would be abused by deranking smurfs.

1 Like

Sigh. Just said if it’s skill based, MMR is not a factor. Therefore “rigging” is impossible, because it’s skill based. Duh.

Well for one, no one knows what metrics are used to match players.

All we know is what those stats are supposed to mean. We have no material insight as to how those stats are used or where they’re applied.

What, if anything, states that you will be matched exactly as if you had no leaver penalty? How do you know SR is not taken into account during matchmaking? If either of these things you are saying are true, why are they true?

Assuming the game recognizes you as a stronger player, with a lowered SR and therefore extremely skewed SR to MMR ratio, the game will then either expect you to carry your games and reach your projected SR (skill-based argument) or it will match you with stronger teams to ensure your MMR doesn’t fall too dramatically (MMR argument).

That’s irrelevant in the context of rigging.

How the game “sees” you has nothing to do with what the game “does” with you based on how it “sees” you.

In other words, it “sees” you as a strong player, therefore you should win x games with “these” not-as-strong players. Conversely, it can also “see” you as a weak player, therefore you should win x games with “these” not-as-weak players. Etcetera.

The matter is not about what MMR is. It’s how it’s used. Do you have any solid information on that?

I’m basing my understanding of how the matchmaking/SR system works on the assumption that developer explanations are generally correct and how things work. That understanding is largely the same as Kaawumba’s recurring post:

You can check the leaver penalty section and references from that document for more details.

1 Like

As much as I’d like to consider this some kind of unofficial guide or reference, the amount of personal bias injected into it is pretty disgusting.

Therefore it’s very difficult to take whatever that user says at face value, as their interpretations are about as referenced as they are personal interjections. Makes it difficult to take their word for anything, without needing to additionally scrape the source references to filter out their biases.

Further,

Reading the Leaver Penalty (player disconnect) section in its entirety, there is no mention whatsoever of anything you’ve mentioned, including players being matched exactly to their MMR nor any effects to their MMR nor any effects to their MMR with respect to SR.

The only mention of anything to do with MMR is based on some kind of anecdotal case study with stats of SR decay within the ranges of 3000-5000, of which itself discounts that the study reveals very little about MMR. The spreadsheet seems to have no structure as to what data is collected, except for what SR was given for each sample and its observed changes. Provided there is no accompanying paper for the data, I will assume the observed changes are the only valid data - the rest appears to be undefined data models with no real significance.

Please cite the portion of the article you wish to reference. Because your understanding of leaver penalties seems to be very off base.