2.32% pickrate, 47.98% winrate

Are you actually kidding me.
He’s FINE, BLIZZARD. LEAVE HIM ALONE. JEEZ.
He’s already gone through hell before, he doesn’t need to go through it again.

4 Likes

Nope, quite the opposite actually! But it’s catchy, if you’re into swing.

1 Like

honestly very catchy song

You didn’t mention any source. If your referring to the damage fall-off change that was made then boy are you misunderstanding this whole change.

Hog has at no point ever been able to one-shot from a 29M range. The spread is far 2 wide for any hero model in the game and barely stays within the hitboxes of large shields. This is the range where fall-off is being applied

The most you would ever get hit with is like 12 pellets if your Orisa facing from the side. And that’s prob being generous.

Hogs “Sweet Spot” for one shotting squishys with his secondary isn’t changing . That’s around 9M-12M depending on the RNG spread of the shot. The complaint is this change is a nerf to his long range damage that was at no point threatening but was sufficient enough to do chip dmg and break shields without exposing yourself too much (which is important as Hog is known to charge enemy teams Ults.)

4 Likes

He’s a tank. The fact that he’s 1/7 heroes that fill one of the 2 slots in a 2/2/2 comp is illuminating to understanding pickrate. Apart from the other tanks beneath him in terms of pickrate, the bottom half of the cast are all DPS. So yea, he’s a better pick than 2 whole tanks and 9 DPS heroes. They’re typically not competing for those slots.

But we can use the fact he’s a tank to understand something pretty key: those bottom 3 tanks are doing pretty poorly in terms of the meta.

Bronze, basically the tanks you’re gonna get are D.va and Reinhardt. in the tanks category, each take roughly 30% of the pickrate, meaning that almost no matter what you’re gonna have one or the other on your team and/or on the enemy team at all times… the others all see roughly the same playtime, though Orisa comes in at the highest of the remainder with 12% of tank roster usage, and the other getting like 7%.

Silver: Rein is king- taking 32% of the playtime to himself. D.va is still played twice as much as any of the other tanks, with 24% usage rate. Zarya and Winston have overtaken Orisa- both have pick rates above 10% for the tank category. Orisa, Hog and Hamster have 8%, 7% and 5% pickrates respectively.

Gold: The top four spots are basically the same, though Zarya has a few extra percentage points and d.va has a few less. Hog, Orisa and Hamster see 7%, 6%, 6% pick rates.

Plat: Reinhardt still has 30+% pickrate. D.va and Zarya are now interchangeable, with ~17% pickrates apiece. Winston’s got another teensy percentage, up to 13%… Hog, Hamster, and Orisa see 7%, 6% and 5% pickrates respectively.

Diamond: Rein is still king of the hill at 30% usage! D.va has been knocked to #4 most played tank though, Zarya taking the crown at almost 20% pickrate, winston At 16% and D.va down to 14%… Hog, Hamster, and Orisa have pickrates at 7%, 7%, and 4%.

Master: Rein is finally beneath 30%! But not by much, at 28%. Zarya, winston and D.va are played 19%, 18%, and 16% of hte time respectively. Hamster has beaten hog’s pickrate (but just slightly) so now Hamster, Hog and Orisa see 6%, 6%, and 4% of the playtime respectively.

And in GM, by comparison, the top four tanks are Reinhardt, D.va, Winston, Zarya- in that order, and each are played about 20% of the time, Rein a few percentage points more, Zarya a few decimal of a percentage less. Hamster, Hog and Orisa are played just 6%, 4% and 4% of the time.

hmmmmmm…that seems…bad?

2 Likes

You shall not stop me.

I do not care for pickrate.
I do not care for winrate.

I am BigPig.
Roadhog is mine, I shall never give up!

We shall rise again, and reclaim our throne of bacon, pachimaris and gold!

9 Likes

Just we be clear here, Roadhog is arguably one of the worst heroes in the game right now. He is not an “average” hero like Mercy on the Support class or Orisa on the Tank class.

Roadhog cannot reliably OHKO now, his hook is bugged so his main utility is unreliable, and his enormous sustain only increases his feeding problem. Not to mention he has one of the worst ults in the game, too. Whole Hog just knocks the enemy back a little bit and sends Hog to the spawn point.

What you end up is a hero designed for picks ending up as a hero with anemic damage augmented by this frankly completely moronic balancing decision, bugged utility, and not a zero like Torbjorn, but a minus because he feeds the enemy so much. “He gets his useless ultimate quickly, though. He hooked and killed me, though.”

People fail to realize that Roadhog offers nothing. He offers a bad DPS hero that feeds, he offers no peel. He no longers is a huge area-denial by sheer threat, because his hook disconnects 1/3 of the time, and when he hooks, he doesn’t kill you, and you have your own special “Nullify Roadhog” button. Maybe if you’re low HP he can kill you. Maybe.

7 Likes

He’s still the greatest Ultimate battery!

2 Likes

For real, part of me is happy that people think Roadhog is okay. Free ultimate for my team.

Zoot Suit Riot, Drunk Daddy, and Dr. Bones, more great music by them if you’re interested.

I get that they were trying to fix it tho, because with his it was super inconsistent sometimes it would tickle me sometimes I’d get one shot and full health, but they did it wrong obviously because now it only tickles.

Yes and no.

Roadhog was NEVER capable of a OHKO.
Ever.

“How do you know”
Is a Roadhog One-Trick who played with 1.0

Roadhog was capable of completing a Low TTK -COMBO- but he was never able to One-Hit someone.

Roadhog can reliably pull off this combo on enemies who are about as thicc as a Reaper, McCree, Doomfist, or Zenyatta, alongside every Tank except Zarya.

For every other character in the game:
Roadhog’s RNG Spread is the issue.

Roadhog’s Spread contains these issues:

RNG-based, no fixed shotgun pattern like Doomfist.
Not compensated for with a high clip like Torbjorn, D.Va, or Reaper.
RNG Center-Pellet creation.
Spread is TWICE as big as the biggest crosshair settings in game at a range of less than 7meters.

What

However- Roadhog’s Hook breaking (randomly) bug, has since been fixed on the PTR. Reliably fixed too.

Whole Hog does between 4000 and 8000 damage within 8 seconds.
If you use it at a significant range in a Barrier-War, you win that Barrier-War.
If you hook someone and then immediately use Whole Hog (except for someone with invuln/deflect capabilities), it’s basically a death sentence.

Also, the knockback is significant enough (although I think it could get a SLIGHT increase) to prevent the enemy from messing with the objective.

I believe that Roadhog should be able to cancel Whole Hog with his Take-A-Breather with maybe a 5% or 10% increase to it’s knockback.

A good Roadhog IS a threat.
Not only can a skilled Roadhog completely ruin the enemy’s chance of survival, that ability was just bugfixed to be EVEN MORE reliable.

Hooking a Zen away from his team during grav.
Hooking a D.Va bomb away from your team.
Hooking a Tracer into her own pulse-bomb (which won’t kill you, but it’ll sure as hell kill her).
Hooking a Bastion or Mercy out of a Pirate-Ship comp with a simple flank.
Completely destroying Brigitte’s with ease in 1v1s.
Countering Widowmaker (and Hanzo debatable) by being able to survive multiple quick-succession burst damage with Take-A-Breather, allowing him to close the gap and then prevent escape with Chain Hook.

Roadhog’s utility is extremely strong if you know how to use it.
His damage may be extremely unreliable, but with the most recent bugfix, his utility is more than fine.

I intentionally “feed” ultimate charge when my Take-A-Breather available, to run out and get shot while using it at full health so that I generate a LOT of ult charge, while the enemy is distractedly shooting me and only gaining HALF of what they’d get from shooting my teammates.

Whole Hog + a pocket support can completely nullify a push with the sheer knockback and damage.

This is a bug that has been fixed as of roughly 2 1/2 hours ago. You’d know this if you cared about the state of the game and checked for your own hero updates like I do.
It’s on the PTR. I’ve encountered no additional bugs in that time.

He does if he picks the right target.
I.E. 170 HP or less, OR a thicc hitbox.

A good Roadhog watches for his counters’ ability usage, and then times his engagements properly so that that button either isn’t available-
or it FORCES them to use it.

Hooking a Tracer with the new fixes means she’ll most likely recall if she doesn’t want to instadie. A Tracer without a recall means she’s MUCH less likely to engage.

I’ll just pretend i didn’t read that.

I see that you’re in Platinum, too. All of this complex stuff about reading counters and stuff, why not go for Zarya or D.Va, win more and more easily? I don’t get your point. Roadhog is still terrible.

So, you’re in denial that the bug was fixed? Unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean…

Here’s the direct quote which I posted earlier:

See?

I am in fact, in Platinum.
My career best was at 2.95(something) thousand, because I crashed during my final placement game. I have a firm belief that I’d have been placed at Diamond if that crash hadn’t happened, I haven’t played much Overwatch since that point.

I hope you don’t mean “You’re Platinum so your logic is invalid”.

Because I can’t win with D.Va or Zarya easily. I’ve spent roughly 50 (or more) hours on Roadhog for this account alone, disregarding my other two.

I can play Zarya decently, but I don’t know all of the little tips n’ tricks for her.
I’m a terrible D.Va, because I have a personal hatred for her and thus, never wanted to learn her.

Meanwhile, I succeed in doing my job for the majority of my games as Roadhog.
I rarely die, because I know what I’m doing.

I climb every time I play Competitive as BigPig, unless we get ROFL-stomped (we being the team, not just me).
This is a One-Trick account as-well, so swapping isn’t an option.

“Don’t 1trick 4head”
My choice. It’s a test to see how well I can perform with just one hero, hence why it’s an alternate account.

My point was that he isn’t terrible.
He’s niche.

There’s a difference.

Having said that, a “niche” pick can outperform a lot of other heroes when outside of their own niche if they know what they’re doing.

I.E. Fuey500 as an example.
Or the multiple GM+ Symmetras.

Roadhog’s weaknesses lie in his RNG-Spread, and lackluster (buggy) utility.
The buggy utility, is now just utility, as it’s major bugs have been fixed.

Therefore, Roadhog’s utility (arguably the strongest reason to pick him), is in-tact. Making him a viable option on certain maps/gamemodes.

honestly i will believe the bug is fixed when it stops happening, just because they said they fixed it doesnt mean they actually fixed it, that said hog is still horrible but if they fixed the bug thank you so much it makes hog in a better place at least

got anything better to say? something more original? no? too bad.

Thats how bliz balances. Instead of making everyone equal like many other devs strive for, bliz lets each hero have their time in the sun before nerfing the hell out of them only to bring them right back up. Soon hog will be meta again and rein will swap spots with orisa. The good will turn bad and vice versa

1 Like

Freshnuts has, He also told NoobHunter to put a lot of hog hook break highlights, I’ve talked to him personally and he agreed that something needs to be done about it, but he is a highlight channel, not news.

I was on Ptr earlier, it feels much better and I had no rando disconnects, I had 18 today on live.

Now instead of making you think you hit someone it shows what the server says happened or the opposite, so no confusion anymore (that is apparent to my testing)

1 Like

i am honestly really happy with this, thank you for the information