180 šŸ”„ Degree Spin bug for Reinhardt and Brigitte (updated for v1.30 and videos)

Alright, thanks for all the help! Here are the two clips that highlight this persisting bug with Reinhardt and Brigitte randomly spinning after dropping their shield:

https://giant.gfycat.com/FlakyShockingIbis.webm
and
https://giant.gfycat.com/JealousSpicyEarwig.webm

this happens to me all the time. 1 out of 3-4 times the shield goes down my rein or brig turn 180 degrees. itā€™s rendered both of them completely unplayable. this really needs to be fixed, rein is broken to the point of being a throw pick to me. this mess started with the hammond patch. maybe instead of adding new heroes we couldā€¦ you knowā€¦ fix the ones we already have? :thinking:

4 Likes

Itā€™s affecting so negatively two heroes, to the point you feel like you are playing with a handicap.
Unfortunately it doesnā€™t look like itā€™s a priority for blizzard to fix this bug.

3 Likes

Bump. Still not fixed or acknowledged by blizzard as a bug.

1 Like

Iā€™ll bump with another example of the bug during a comp game when I use Earthshatter:

https://giant.gfycat.com/ElasticEquatorialIndochinahogdeer.webm

Hi, this glitch does not happen to me but it happens to 2 of my friends. I have a theory but i need a larger sample size. How many of you play with 30 fps lock, or with a controller?

This just happened to me. My friend played Bridgette the game before and was fine. However when I played her the next game I kept getting 180. We lost the point because I physically could not see where I was going, as near every shield bash I was getting 180ā€™d into wall as well. My frame rate cap is 60 but I tend to hover around the 45 mark. My friend sits at about 80 frames. I play with Mouse and Keyboard and would like this fixed as it is a serious problem for game play.

PC has no required frame lock.
Most of the players are using PC, some have high rigs with 120FPS, others lower with ~40FPS, so the problem happens regardless of FPS count.

This is a bug with the shield losing track of the direction you were facing when it tries to change camera view from SHIELD VIEW to NORMAL VIEW.
It only happens when you lower your shield or it breaks for whatever reason.

There have already been a few people theorizing here that it only happens on weaker pcs or on console, which makes me think that it is an fps issue. My friends both set their frame limit on pc to 30. They have not so great computers and if they play with unlocked framerate it looks worse because it jumps from around 45 to 30. On the other hand, I have a more powerful pc, and my game pretty much never goes below 60 fps, and this has never happened to me. Consoles are locked at 30 fps which would explain why it happens there as well when the quality of the hardware isnt in question.

This issue clearly does not happen to everyone, and probably does not happen to a majority of players, which is why it has probably taken blizzard so long to fix it. I would be willing to bet that the majority of overwatch players have pcs that are at least good enough to run at or very close to 60fps most of the time. Even if it is a frame issue, it still needs to be fixed. But maybe that can be one more step to figuring out why it happens or how to prevent it from happening.

Iā€™m sorry but have you seen the amount of reports and videos for the same bug on my original post?
And these are just from people that read the forums or report them.

Yes, and there are also several people claiming that it never happens to them. I am not denying that it is a bug, clearly the evidence shows that it is a problem. But it most definitely does not happen to everyone. I am just trying to figure out what makes it happen to some people but not others here. Even 50 or 100 people reporting a bug is still a very small fraction of the entire playerbase from blizzardā€™s perspective. But that doesnt excuse them ignoring it for so long anyways. Since there is nothing you or I can do to fix the bug, the least we can do it talk and theorize about why it happens until blizzard finally does do something about it.

All that being said, I am curious. What framerate does your game typically run at? All I am looking for here is evidence that the bug is tied to framerates. If you are at 60fps+ when the bug occurrs for you, then my theory is clearly incorrect .

I usually have between 50-60FPS.
If there are too many effects like Moira firing her ulti it drops to ~50FPS.
The thing is, the turn bug can happen at any time even when you are alone with noone else around at higher FPS.

Patch v1.29 just came out and there are already reports of the same bug happening over and over.

Adding them to the list.
Also I edited the conclusion to make it more clear what the problem seems to be.

1 Like

For some reason I canā€™t include an outright link here.

gfycat. com/gifs/detail/TediousImpureDeinonychus

Iā€™ve gotten the bug both with the 30fps cap and the 300fps custom. It happens often with both Brig and Rein. I mostly play them in Mystery, but Iā€™ve had it happen in Quick Play too. It seems like the only time it doesnā€™t happen, is when I havenā€™t recently been facing backward before trying to drop my shield, like the game takes my hero back in time.

edit: I play on PC.

I have been a Rein main (and fill) in comp for the past 3~4 seasons and this happens to me A LOT. Sometimes It happens right when I am earth shuttering :weary:

After reading this thread, itā€™s unfortunate to know that Blizz hasnā€™t addressed this issue.

Is there any potential solutions out there?

If you need more evidence that this is still happening after v1.29, I have footage of it happening to me 3 more times in this video:

https://youtu.be/L1mR16MGrBc

Please fix this its way harder to play brigitte and rien when you are about to Confirm kill then 180 turn around and miss as of October junkenstien event

The more reports and videos we get the better.
It shows how severe this bug actually is; affecting a lot of the playerbase.

Yeah. Two of those clips happened within a minute of each other. Almost cost us the game.

First off, I agree this is a bugā€¦and a bug that has been around since launchā€¦it may have gotten better or worse between patchesā€¦
Iā€™ve only ever had this happen once ever and that was only an older (now 8 year old) laptop that couldnā€™t handle 60FPS (frame locked to 45ish from memory)

From a programmers perspective it can be really hard to find these types of bugs for a number of reasons but especially when the bug isnā€™t consistent and doesnā€™t affect all players. Itā€™s even harder to find if the bugfix team doesnā€™t have access to a system that is consistently enough showing the bug.

My guess is that the bug occurs either when a frame takes too long to render or something to do with network packet delay/loss. Either would likely show up by watching the network graph UI.

Just wondering if anyone is willing to record the bug with the network graph UI up (Ctrl->Shift-N) to see if there is any correlation at all.