144hz monitor in Overwatch

I climbed to masters in this season, and I have 60 hz monitor. I want to buy a 144hz monitor just for Overwatch, so I can aim and perform even better. Players who jumped from 60 hz to 144 hz monitors, please tell me, is it worth the money?

1 Like

Yes it is certainly worth it.

24 Likes

Go for 240, it’s a insane step from 60hz . And not much more money when u take 1080p

3 Likes

I have the cheap 144hz Acer monitor and I would say that it’s not the monitor that’s holding me back as it’s the same one NotE from Boston/Dallas was using before he turned pro

1 Like

Imo if you have good performance already the only best upgrade would be going to 144hz, honestly it surprises me that people can get to Masters with 60hz.

If you reach more than 240 FPS then i’d also recommend a 240hz monitor instead of a 144hz.

Depending on budget, 144 is more than sufficient imo.
Also for fast paced FPS games, you’ll defo feel the difference with more than 60hz.

And apart from that, even if you have good performance and everything you need.
I’d still recommend checking this post by Wyoming:

Maximizing your performance might be able to help at that crucial time.

3 Likes

i have that but i’m still gold lol

tbh i can’t tell the difference between 60 and 144

1 Like

Oh god it’s so worth it. Just a few days ago I upgraded from 60hz to 144hz and the game has never looked smoother.

I know saying its insanely better sounds like an over-exaggeration, but its true. I’ve played this game for 3 years on 60hz and 144hz makes it so much easier to react to things

7 Likes

If you got to ask, probably not worth it.

1 Like

my PC is not that good to have a stable 240 fps in teamfights etc. so i wanna buy a 144 hz one

144 is so good it will basically ruin anything less. Even non-gaming stuff like dragging windows around is night and day. I use a real good Viewsonic 144hz monitor, tried adding a second cheapie(60hz Benq) over Christmas that I could use for cpuid and stuff like that. An hour later it was back in the box. The screensaver turned on, the one with floating bubbles, sitting side by side the 60hz looked like a slide show. Buy it, you won’t regret it.

1 Like

144hz feels great, it will give you better time reaction, though aim is aim it won’t improve by just hardware upgrading, training makes you stronger like in every sport.

100% worth it… I’d go for a 180hz if you can, they are ALSO pretty cheap.

It did for me. The better monitor was like getting super aim powers.

100% worth the money. Everything is buttery smooth and you’ll see animations much more clearly.

The biggest difference I noticed was vs. Genji’s jumping around, I think he’s way easier to hit with 144hz

OH HOHOHO it is worth the money. I jumped from 60Hz to 300Hz and the difference between 144hz and 300hz is supposed to be minimal. But what I’m trying to say is you INSTANTLY notice how much smoother the mouse cursor movement feels and my aim on soldier, widow, hanzo etc improved IMMEDIATELY. It was decent (couldn’t hit headshots) playing at 50fps; now I can play at 180fps and its much better(more consistent bodyshots more likely headshots). Had the game since launch (4 years) and upgraded last month.

1 Like

It will change your life.

1 Like

Just an FYI as lots of people are throwing around details here.

It depends on your budget and current hardware. I went for a cheap 240Hz raw, it has no G-sync. I have a RTX 2070, so I know I can go above 240 frames at all times. Try and find out what frames you will get with your current hardware.

Check the prices of 240Hz, sometimes they are the same or very marginally more than 144Hz. You will notice the difference between 60-240 like night and day.

Cheap 240Hz monitors usually use different panel types to what you use now so the colours will seem washed out. But you get used to that. I haven’t checked for a while, so maybe you can get better panels for cheaper these days.

For the latest panels with improved colours and 240Hz you are looking at least $400+ I believe.

Hello,

I say this very seriously; it is 100% worth it, but this also depends on what you are running on. These days, 1080p @ 144hz is not too hard to manage.

I went from a 36" TV @ 60Hz, to a 1080p 144 hz (vg278) and now a 1440p 144hz (mg278q).

Night and day, but only if you can maintain consistent FPS.

End of the day, it’s absolutely worth it, and at 1080p it isn’t too expensive to do, either.

It’s akin, actually more impressive, than going from an HDD to an SSD.

Definitely do it. Anyone who says it’s not worth it is hindered somewhere else.

To those saying get 240hz, I would only do that if I played FPS games almost exclusively or attempted to professionally. If you are the kind of person who also plays other games, like AAA titles, I would consider staying with either 144hz 1080p or 144hz 1440p. For me, 144hz 1440p is amazing, all around, and I net 155fps capped on OW as well as getting to experience other games at higher resolutions/fidelity and frame rates too.

2 Likes

well go from high refresh rate and then look back at a low refresh rate

i was the one who didn’t see the difference between low and high

But now that i have a 120hz screen and look back at a 60 hz screen i clearly see the big difference.

1 Like

Dunno if this is CDN or USD, so I’m linking the USD, but this 144hz IPS panel is pretty cheap in cost, but is pretty good quality, at under $250.

Just saying.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG278QR-Supports-Compatible-DisplayPort/dp/B07XV1519W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=vg278q&qid=1609346993&sr=8-1

Also, there is a 280hz version for $399.

I myself use https://www.amazon.com/27-inch-FreeSync-MG278Q-Response-DisplayPort/dp/B014X4U076

If you want to test in in real time, with no pause between changes, use MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner’s framerate limit option.
On MSI you configure the hotkey to activate it. On RivaTuner you configure the FPS limit. Put it at 60 and go to the training camp. Play around a couple of minutes and then activate the FPS cap. Activate the stats on OW so you are sure that you are changing from 60 to 144+.
If you do not notice something, then you are one of those that simply can see the difference.
Good thing, you wouldn’t need to spent money on 100+ Hz next time you want to change screen.