144 Hz monitors are all hype

If you played at 30 fps for long time and one day moved to 60 fps, its big improvement. Same goes for 60->144+

For me its was huge change, everything is way smoother and feels superior to 60-75hz.

^btw, make sure you changed ur in-game settings to 144hz and display settings to 144hz.

1 Like

if you went from 120hz to 144hz you might not but if you went from 60hz to 114hz it literally is night and day. But you only feel it if you are actually hitting 144+ frames if you arent then you wont notice it

1 Like

Make sure the input cable type supports it as well. For instance on my acer I have to use DVI for 144hz, I can only get 60hz for my HDMI input.

1 Like

Lmao I have two monitors, primary 144hz/secondary 60hz.

I can literally see the difference every day.

3 Likes

There are only 2 possibilities here : Either you are not actually having those 144hz with vsync at all or you have an eye sight problem lol

The input lag is removed, the mouse responds instantly, the aiming is faster and smoother … hell, even it windows just shuffle the mouse and you can see double the fps.

1 Like

Use testufo to see if you can see a difference. If you can’t, something isn’t properly configured.

I’d make sure you have the monitor set to 144hz in windows too, sometimes it doesn’t, or if you hook it up with the wrong cable it won’t go that high.

Right click the desktop
Display settings
Advanced settings
Hit the monitor tab, and verify it says 144hz

If it’s greed out I’m assuming you have it hooked up with hdmi, try using a dvi or display port cable. I forgot what version hdmi the 1060 has, but it may not support over 60hz.

First gaming pc and I had my game settings and cable set up properly but just found out right now that its set to 60hz on windows… -_-

As soon as I hit apply settings I noticed the difference. 2 years set up like this feels bad man. Always felt targets at long range didn’t look right.

Congrats, you’re now officially the first person I’ve ever come across that did not find the difference to be amazing.

I would never go back to 60hz.

3 Likes

maybe off topic but do you know that you could overclock your Hz on the normal Monitor? i get an 60hz Asus, and was able to get to 76hz, all monitors are different but you may get 15% to 20% more for your money. Just google “Monitor OC”

I like mine! It makes things a lot smoother for me. It doesn’t do anything in-game advantage-wise but it looks nicer!

From what I hear its one of those things that you don’t notice until you use it for a while then go back to 60. Then you realize how much better it is.

Or even anyone that has to rapidly spin around.

Rein and Genji, Tracer, Ana…

I personally don’t have one, mine is 75 Hz, but from what i have heard its not that big of a difference when going from 60 to 120 or 144, but after you get used to high refreshrate and go back to 60 Hz you notice a huge difference.

1 Like

It’s kinda like the leap between 480 to 1080 res, or 30 to 60 FPS. These were (and still are) massive jumps, but we don’t see such crazy jumps anymore (at least in terms of screens). Not to say we can’t tell the difference between, say, 1k - 4K resolution but they just don’t have that wow factor like it used too.

In my entirely uninformed opinion, the next crazy things will be huge improvements to VR. Though I wouldn’t say no to ground breaking 3D monitors that you feel like you can reach through the screen.

Edit as an aside, what’s the response and input lag times like? There’s also another number that refers to how quickly a pixel can change colors. You want all these numbers as low as possible otherwise you end up with a kind of strange laggy/jagged/blur… Its hard to explain, I just a heap of problems using my bros old monitor, and find it extremely difficult to focus my eyes on enemies when I’m moving the mouse around.

Going from 60hz to 144hz, I didn’t feel the difference was very noticeable. The biggest difference I noticed was the mouse cursor on Windows desktop.

Going back from 144hz to 60hz is really noticeable. For a few hours, everything just looks and feels jerky.

I kept switching back and forth between a 60hz monitor and a 144hz monitor because I ended up returning 3 of them for garbage colour temp uniformity (and the 4th one is still not good but its not terrible like the first 3).

144hz does not make me better at aiming or tracking with a crosshair. It does not make me better at Overwatch. The biggest difference is still decision making in the game.

3 Likes

The difference between 60 to 144 is very noticeable, The difference between 144-240 isn’t as big!

2 Likes

How is one different from another? lol

You’re not going to take a bronze player and make him a top 500 contender by switching out his monitor.

1 Like

This is not what i asked. I didn’t ask “Can you make a top 500 out of bronze with a monitor switch”, i asked: