144 Hz monitors are all hype

Just picked one up a few weeks ago and honestly dont see what all the buzz is about.

Did you change the ingame resolution setting to the one that says 144? I forgot to do that when I first switched, but itā€™s a huge improvement now.

30 Likes

I did. Its smoother but its not this night and day difference as far as I am concerned. Luckily my old monitor quit so it was a logical upgrade seeing as my gpu a 1060 can handle 144 frames at moderate gaming.

Had I spend 300+ on a new gpu and 200+ on a screen I would be sorely disappointed.

Ah you can notice the change if you play hitscan heroes. heroes like moira and junkrat would be the same of course.

3 Likes

buys setup important to hitscan heroes
proceeds to play junkrat and moira

???

10 Likes

Gear doesnā€™t add skill, it improves skill.

6 Likes

well if you main tracer or genji which has a lot of movement in your screen then 144hz would be a improvement

5 Likes

It is not ā€œjust hypeā€ at all. In fact I can tell that playing on a 60hz monitor after getting used to a 144hz monitor is such a bad experience that I preffer not to play at all. I say this because Iā€™m living in two different places right now, so I have 2 different monitors in each place and when I have to go to the house where I have the 60hz monitor, I try to play but it seems to slow for my eyes, to the point it almost hurts them so I prefer not to play at all or just play characters that donĀ“t require as much aim and concentration.

10 Likes

Its not about the skill improvement. I was expecting this wow factor like whoa why didnt I do this years ago. I thought the immersion would be better and just an overall better experience.

Itā€™s smootherā€¦?
(20 characters)

144 makes a big difference imo.
make sure you change the refresh rate of the monitor, bc most of them come stock 60 hz even if its a 144 monitor. its in the display -> display adapter properties.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a very big difference for me, I guess itā€™s different for different people.

2 Likes

I went from a 30 fps computer (bad gfx card) to a new gfx card and monitor to 144 fps (more like 90-100 when playing) so I canā€™t tell the difference between 60 and 144 because I basically only had a 60 for a very short time.

How are you connecting to your monitor? A lot of cables donā€™t support 144hz and you might be only getting 60hz out of it.

6 Likes

You might also have to go into your monitor settings and turn on 144 hz.

Also, random side note for 144hz monitor users, a lot of streaming sites do not like 144hz (hello netflix!) so you might have to back it down to 120 to get these to work.

I usually use my old 60hz IPS monitor for watching stuff anyways.

lol what are you talking about? play on it for some weeks and then go back to 60Hz

3 Likes

alright

play with 144hz for a month and then switch back to 60, youā€™re gonna notice it pretty hard

4 Likes

Really? Make sure its properly set up ( hz, ingame settings etc )

3 Likes