100% cpu usage after new update

So after patch 1.33.0.1, whenever I open the game fps drops to 20 and below and when I check task manager CPU usage is at 100 and when I check details, ow is using up 90% of it…

I have a Predator Helios 300, I’ve never had a problem with OW before. I have all drivers up to date, checked that the Nvidia GPU is the main GPU. I’ve checked everything that I know and still can’t find a solution. It’s frustrating cause OW is one of the few games that I play and now this is happening…

Going to guess at a couple of things:

• Are you sure that the correct GPU is being used for Overwatch? Especially since CPU is going to 100% and you’re getting 20fps, it might be using the integrated one.
  • Are you overclocking your GPU or CPU? I know this laptop comes with software to make this happen, and Blizzard games don’t support any overclocked hardware.
  • Have you monitored your temperatures for overheating? Sometimes if the CPU throttles itself, whatever processing power that is leftover becomes the new 100%. You can download HWMonitor and check CPU/GPU max temps under full load (games running) to see if that’s the issue.

Hi There,

The same issue occured on my pc two days ago. 5 days ago I was able to play OW without any problems. If I start the game now, my CPU shoots up to 100% on all 8 cores of my i7 Gen6 processor. I can still hear the mainmenu sound but I cant click anything.
I checked which GPU is used, and its the gtx1070 not the integrated one.
I dont overclock any of my hardware.
The temperatures are normal (between 45° and 55°). This seems very low, but the game freezes even right after boot so temperatures can’t really be the reason.
Reinstalling the OW didn’t help either.

I’d appreciate help in this case.
Thank you and best Regards

Yeah I am seeing this now too.

(Intel I5-7600k, RTX 2060 Founders, Corsair Dominator platinum 16GB)

The CPU stays at 100% and the game is UNPLAYABLE.

Remedy: I run the game ONLY in FULLSCREEN. SO I minimize the game for about 30 seconds and once the processor drops below 100%, I can re-maximize the game and start a match with ZERO issues.

If I play the game RIGHT AWAY after launch. The game STUTTERS really heavy! Without doing this.

1 Like

I tried to run it in Fullscreen, Fullscreen Window and Window Mode and I’m not able to play the game in any Mode.

Ouch, I dont know what to tell you.

I am betting the first thing suggestions will be.

• run repair from the blizzard client.
  • Launch the game with the client set to CLOSE after the program launches
  • Set the game as "run in windows 7 compatibility mode.
  • Set the game to run in administrative mode.
  • Enter BIOS and set the RAM to run as XMP profile
  • Disable shader cache in your graphics drivers
  • Scale mode in Graphics drivers set at Aspect ratio.

Since this game is fussy in utilization to the GPU. At MOST these will mitigate the problem, but not solve it :wink:

Thank you for the suggestions, I already tried some of them, but I’ll try to run the rest of them as soon as possible and will report back to you :slight_smile:

NP! I hope it helps take some of the problems and mitigates them. This game is CLUNKY when it comes to how it works. :stuck_out_tongue:

This happend to me like 5 days ago aswell, i have gtx 1070 i5-7600k. I used to have 150+ fps on highest settings now i get 20-40 wtf

Found the problem, uninstall razer synapse thats whats causing it.

3 Likes

thank you sir! this did the trick for me.

You do realize that everyone and their mom overclocks their hardware, right? That is a responsibility shift, nothing more. My game stutters all the time when it starts and i need to wait until processor drops. This is not smth on our side or hardware side.

This thread has been inactive for almost a year and the OP has likely moved on. Please take notice of the date before replying. Also, I’m not shifting blame, I don’t work for Blizzard or develop their games. Some overclocks have been successful now, whereas others still are not. And not everyone overclocks their hardware, not even close.

1 Like