10 million active players, yeah right!

Its quite simple math, If 1M active users log on 10 times in a month the average is 10M. If 500k log on 20 times in a month thats 10M. It is not that many active users once you do the math.

And even then comp is probably one of the smaller game modes, pretty sure most of the player base sits in QP which from my experience has been quick at finding matches even with roleq

this isn’t true.

plenty of people play QPC. that’s why the queue times are always less than 30 seconds. idk what op is complaining about

1 Like

It is just a cherry picked number for investors to make the game looks less dead.

More like 9 million active alt/smurf accounts.

1 Like

Per a Jeff post ages ago, RQ Comp is the most popular mode, pretty much regardless of region or platform.

From there the mode popularity roughly is:

1. Open Comp (Korea), RQ Quickplay (Americas, China, EU)
  2. Quickplay Classic (Americas, China), RQ QP (Korea), Open Comp (EU)

After the #2 option the population share also drops dramatically, usually.

Given this was outside one of the PvE events, these numbers likely skew more heavily to those when they’re available, but basically unless you’re in Korea, Open Comp is just not that popular on the whole compared to RQ Comp. It’s also possible that the share of Open Comp has gone up since it’s been moved to the main Competitive card, but given the themes of this board it sounds like it hasn’t.

That’s not what MAU means:

https://mixpanel.com/topics/mau/#:~:text=MAU%20(Monthly%20Active%20Users)%20is,General%20health%20of%20a%20business

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_users

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/monthly-active-user-mau.asp

Measures of active users is the number of unique users within a given timeframe. 10 million MAU means at least 10 million unique accounts log in on a monthly basis. 1 million users with 10 alts logging on in a month would give you 10 million MAU, but not 1 million users logging in 10 times over the course of a month.

If people wanted real health metrics for the game, they would be asking for Daily Active Users, since that gives you the average number of users on a given day and gives you an actual sense of player participation.

As stands 10 million MAU demonstrates good financial health for the game (the relevant context for the Quarterly) because it shows consistent interest in the IP, which investors care about because it shows they have a market to sell merch and licenses to.

1 Like

Inflated number to make investors happy.

Queue times depend on more factors than just monthly active users.

2 Likes

All of these series have had high points though beyond their ‘launch title’. You could even argue that Star Trek and the very first Star Wars were not successful at launch, but became successful over time. Comparatively, Overwatch had a HUGE success at launch, and it’s been a steady decline ever since [I’m talking overall reception of the game and popularity as I perceive it through my online spaces/conventions. I saw so many more cosplayers doing OW characters the first 2 years compared to after that, for instance. Overall enthusiasm seems to be steadily running dry]

Star Trek had other highs before going Kurtzman Krazy, DS9 and a few of the other shows were well recieved when they came out and even hold up decently well today - I’m pretty sure Netflix even showed that the most popular Star Trek is the middle-est one with Janeway, has the most re-viewed episodes of any of the Treks. And then with Dr. Who, it’s hit a real low point due to really bad writing, but it had many peaks and valleys between the Doctors.

My point is that I have not seen a franchise that had this much potential be so badly managed the entire time, right out of the gate. It’s like breeding a prize racing horse and having the best time over any other horse, and then… beating it mercilessly before every race so it’s all messed up. Why, Blizzard?

i think someone is making up story’s i usually sit in QP classic queue for 30-60 seconds, usually about the time i find someone to skill in scrimish than im like doh.

I agree with every part of the response firstly xD now to the quote!

I think the biggest issue was the direction of the game. This disconnect between the devs and the publisher calling the shots. There’s what the devs intended at its core, and then what the publisher twisted it into becoming, and now its just a horrible mess.

it’d depend on the shard they’re playing on; if it’s for a server in a lower-density area, i can see them getting those queues if the server population is at the razor edge of pushing its population to a more populated shard, especially since QPC likely isn’t that big a draw outside of peak times.

I play in peak and out of peak time and have 0 problem with queue for QP classic, it is the role queue that is the problem.

Generally I’m a peak player, but even when queuing with my DPS friends i’m usually not waiting more than 3-4 minutes for a QP game. Junkenstein and the Experimental modes actually helped a lot lately with the queue times for me; I was getting matches in under 3 mins with my DPS friends and I was actually getting DPS myself even when all-queueing

Yeah, I don’t buy it for a second. They’re just reselling the game to smurfs. There’s too many players that have left and NO way there are many new players coming into a game that’s this old.

I think they just define one login as an “active” player. It is definitely nowhere near 10 million otherwise.

He was talking about QP classic, which i only really play, i am not gonna play a mode where choice is taken away. I like choosing what to play based on what others pick, not choose what to play before entering game.

Yeah exactly; I can see the pieces of a truly great game here, but Activision or Blizzard or whoever was calling the shots decided to really push the esports league thing before it had fully formed. I think making it like a ‘sport team’ rather than friends who forge real powerhouse teams in tournaments makes a big difference; I don’t much care about a team that can just abruptly lose a player and sign a new one like they’re all interchangeable parts, it makes it impossible for me to get invested personally. Why would I root for a team when my favorite player might go to some different team? Seems ridiculous to me, personally.

I wouldn’t mind watching OWL, if it had formed naturally and was comprised of teams that had really been through the heat of the fire together and made something unique and new. Instead we get teams that are desperate to learn the meta, dropping players that were once considered top of the line because - oh woops, a balance patch went through and now your character is worthless/negated by this other character entirely, so now you’re not worth anything! Just seems like a really bad way to run a sport, like… Are you going to get the best of the best, or just the best of the people willing to put up with a stupid and unpredictable system?

And that’s to say nothing of the actual game itself, which should have been the solid foundation of which they built OWL on top of, not the neglected footstool they used to scramble up the ladder.

What baffles me is, they’ve done this successfully in the past with Starcraft, and even WoW-Arena. It might’ve just been a mistake with this game tbh, but I personally would’ve preferred if HoTS had been their new esport scene. That I would’ve actually enjoyed watching, but I guess being in direct competition with LoL was something they didn’t want to do.