1-3-2? Why not 2-3-2

Hem, I suppose this could be true

It will cut the time required to find a tank in half. The matchmaker would need only 1 tank per 2 DPS, instead of 2.

Another great benefit is having more balanced matches with no more 1000 SR difference between tanks.

Just make it 7v7 and rebalance everything as well as redesign the maps 4head.

Yah didnā€™t think it through, my issue with it then would be that every tank would need to be outfitted to a main tank. I donā€™t see this happening because they have already stated they donā€™t want to do anymore reworks let alone the entire off tank roster

Quote from Jeff

Not really. Youā€™d just need some main tanks, and retrofit the rest as Damage.

Also with 1-2-2, you wouldnā€™t have a solo tank fighting off 3DPS.

They are already going this direction. Orisa, Sigma, Rein, Hammond are the ā€œpremiumā€ tanks, you absolutely require one of them and you can combine them together. Winston is sort of the same, but gets countered too hard by meta DPS.

D.Va, Hog and Zarya are second-grade heroes at this point. They are only allowed to exist in pair with a ā€œrealā€ tank and are better replaced by the 2nd one anyway.

Because there are only 6 player slots per team match most of the time? That is the most logical answer to ā€œWhy not 2-3-2ā€ wouldnā€™t be a bad idea if we didnā€™t only have 6 player slots.

I think 2-3-2 would be interesting, however I donā€™t think it would be healthy permanently. I think every season the role locks should change- we could play 2-2-2 for season 20, 2-3-2 for season 21, 1-3-1 for season 22, no role locks for season 23 and so forth. Itā€™d shake the meta up and make players interested in returning to the game, based on what heroes they enjoy playing.

But if they take away the off tanks and I have 4 tanks to choose from I can only speak for myself
But
I donā€™t think I would play tank anymore when I can choose a class that has double or triple the options.
Thereā€™s only so much I guess Iā€™ll play rein again and try not to get annoyed when no one supports me Iā€™d be able to do.

Switch roles or eat those long que times because 1 of any role is doubtful to happen unless they make massive changes to the game in which weā€™d far more likely get 2/3/2.

1 Like

2 3 2 would be good for the game.

The 2 players would mean that they would likely rework every map and this would bring a lot of fresh air in a game with the worst maps iā€™ve ever seen.

Shorten the DPSs queues.

And would push the developers to treat tanks like real tanks. Iā€™ve been saying this forever now. Tanks should be either the top priority for the dps (Die first) or the last MEN standing on the point.

1 Like

Jeff said he functions as such. So unless the word function means something differentā€¦it shouldnā€™t be a problem for the game to handle extra people.

Itā€™s meta and usually people at top tier run meta.

Properties, yes. Which proves that the game can handle the addition of other players.

Iā€™m sure a multi-billion company can handle it. They just donā€™t want to.

1 Like

They could change the game, yes, and they donā€™t want to, yes

Get over it

And again, Bob proves nothing because heā€™s an ai you dolt

1 Like

For a game calling itself ā€œ2ā€ and trying to market itself as the premiere esport, Reducing to 1 Tank would feel a lot more like a downgrade than an upgrade. Why wouldnā€™t that make barriers even more mandatory? At least an Off Tank gives you the option. Not like anyoneā€™s ever cared about heroes not being used in a meta beforeā€¦ Blizzard can make this happen if they want to. The idea is that it lays the groundwork for a new feel to this game.

Thatā€™s what we should all wantā€¦ for this game to feel fresh again if itā€™s going to be Overwatch 2.

1 Like

I think Jeff said that would be a massive pain to setup, so I dunno if theyā€™re looking to do this anyways.

Why not, is this an expansion or is it a new game?

1 Like

You mean in OW2? From my undoubtably incomplete understanding itā€™s mainly gonna be pve focused, while the pvp will stay with OW1 (and presumably cosmetics from 2 will be released into 1).

Jeff did a large post recently about the different role number options and replied to a commenter about 232 in particular, this is why thereā€™s a ton of role option posts suddenly. If you bring up the list of dev posts in the general forum itā€™ll appear somewhere near the top.

I know this.

Iā€™m saying if all youā€™re expecting from Overwatch 2 is more similar 4-player co-op and just 1-3-2 instead of 2-2-2 (devolving into turtle and Dive main tanks every game) then youā€™re expecting an expansion, to anyone looking to get back into the game calling this Overwatch 2 is going to feel pretty weak.

7v7 changes the entire feel of the game, but it expands upon the first gameā€™s structure. It might not be the answer, but itā€™s a better one.

Iā€™m asking to expect a good sequelā€¦
If this is an expansion branded as a new game, thatā€™s not going to go over well.