🏓 Why are people posting about Hong Kong? [Explanation]

blizzard has never been a political. They constantly virtue signal and push “woke” politics to gain favor in the world, but as soon as it came time to stand up for those principles, they abandoned them for money.

We’ll get right on it as soon as we get back from Area 51.

If a company wishes to take a political stance on a topic then they’re free to do that and assume the associated risks (e.g., Chik-Fil-A donating to anti-gay organizations and facing public backlash). If they don’t wish to and would rather to remain neutral on certain subjects, they’re also free to do that, like the great majority of video game publishers who haven’t taken an official public stance on Hong Kong.

But that’s a completely different situation than what we have here with Blitzchung. Blizzard was, up until Blitzchung made his statement, decisively apolitical on the subject of China and Hong Kong’s conflict, a fact nobody had a problem with for years and a stance which makes sense considering they service and employ people from across China whether it’s the mainland communist Shanghai or the democratic republic of Taiwan. Blitzchung, however, literally dragged the company into the crosshairs of this conversation without their consent and against their will.

Even Blitzchung himself said after the fact that you can’t force people to make a political statement, as remaining neutral is also a freedom that is essential to democracy:

"Also I really want to say one thing. I’m seeing a lot of people pushing streamers, players, casters, Blizzard employees etc to make a statement (regarding me). I want to make it clear that whether you play Blizzard games or not and whether you make a statement or not are completely your personal freedom . I don’t think we should push people into anything. I also hope those who stayed neutral or silent won’t be targeted by the crowd. Not that I don’t appreciate your support but it’s their freedom. I am against this “pushing others to speak up” thing . Even if one disagrees with you we have to respect each other. This is the fundamantal line of democracy.”

For a company trying to reach as broad an audience as possible, you can’t really blame them for navigating the restrictions of other countries rules. Otherwise millions of Chinese like Blitzchung wouldn’t be able to enjoy and make livelihoods from their games in the first place.

Well, I’ve never once in my entire life played a Riot game, so I am perfectly happy directing my hate and anger towards Blizzard.

So the statements “every voice should be heard” and “think globally” just exempt china right? Or the fact that they pride themselves on the diversity in their cast and games, but censor it in china is them being “apolitical” right?

You’re intentionally misinterpreting those statements in order to justify animosity towards Blizzard, like most of the bandwagon haters.

“Every voice should be heard” is in a team context when people are working towards a common goal, it doesn’t mean they should open their platforms up for players to go on stage loudly proclaiming “Trump 2020! Build that wall!”.

And “think globally” means precisely that they should be sensitive to their audiences around the world, not that they should allow their platforms to be used as a tool to stoke division and conflict.

As for “censoring” diversity in their cast and games, it’s already been noted by actual Chinese that those comics were translated and are in fact known in China to be gay:

Hate is such a seductive emotion, geez, people will twist anything to justify this kind of self-righteous self-aggrandizing irrational angry mob reaction, instead of looking at things objectively and dispassionately.

And how does one misinterpret “every voice should be heard”? please explain that one, ill give you that think globally could be a misinterpretation.

but you cant misinterpret “every voice should be heard”

mmmm except blizzard themselves have said this is a statement about people in the world, not a “we are making a game” statement.

It’s almost as if it’s in the best interest of companies to try to avoid getting involved in potentially volatile political situations

26 Likes

To level up faster to lv 25, play arcade and dont forget to endorse players.

Fun fact that story is not actually true. Nintendo is only offering the same digital refund policy it does for ALL its games and whoever wrote that article does not understand that.

Also if Nintendo is not promoting the game then how come if you go to NIntendo’s website right now its the bloody cover art?

A hack writer invented drama that did not exist and got some people who did not do any research to bite on it.

20 Likes

Wrong thread I think?

OĂ­che Shamhna Shona Duit ~WildPants

1 Like

Gaming journalism has devolved so much over the past 10 years.

7 Likes

Before the fiasco I would say maybe, but now I feel like it will never happen.

Ha. Journalism. Does that word even have meaning anymore?

4 Likes

Wouldn’t happen before the fiasco either. Maybe a mii costume but not a full fledged fighter. Sans and shovel Knight couldn’t even get their own fighters so I doubt an Overwatch hero would even be considered.

It absolutely is going to happen and a fake story about Nintendo not marketing the game and lying about Nintendo’s refund policy does not change that. I get it that people want this to be a story but its not; its a lie concocted by a hack writer who did not do his proper research because he is a clearly a PC writer writing about a console he does not understand.

1 Like

Sans barely got into smash, no OW hero is getting a fighter.

Its a clear connection and its obvious why they would want to. Also how do you know the difference between “barely got a character” and “got a character” because unless you are in the meeting room you do not know the distinction?

Huge release for a console that could help secure many more online players is going to get marketed hard as it has been and the best marketing they can do to people outside of the OW bubble is to put a character in Smash. For that reason alone its going to happen and thats ignoring the obvious ease of transition from OW to Smash.

Or its more likely in the best interest of companies not to have stupid policies for its esports players and slam them out of their own greed.

Blizzard screwed up, deal with it.

1 Like

No, it won’t happen.

Overwatch is a 3 years old game and is not even a franchise, not mentioning that Blizzard released only 3 games on Nintendo plataforms since ever: OW, Diablo 3 and Lost Vikings…

Overwatch doesn’t fill any requirement to have a Smash hero, just face it…