Simplified Tank-Only Hero Bans

No, I mean 1 mirror match. Or really really close to it.

As I think about it some more, I kinda feel like the most commonly selected one by far would actually be status quo and that these changes would only really have a limited impact anyway… :thinking: you’d be penning yourself into a mirror match but you couldn’t even attempt an off meta pick if you find the opposition is better at the mirror than you.

Out of curiosity, why? Other ranks have a pretty similar selection profile and there’s probably a handful that’d like to get themselves boxed in to a couple of off metas :man_shrugging:t2:

Regardless, I doubt blizz would push any sort of ban type thing after the last attempt regardless of its merits. If there was a pro scene that wasn’t wholly dictated by blizz/OWL more like Dota tournaments could actually set up to test this sorta thing. Wonder if this could be programmed into workshop :thinking:

1 Like

Because it allows devs to focus on balance for the bottom 95% of players.

Instead of hardly any Tank variety for the bottom 95%, and rotating which tanks are meta from patch to patch at high tier.

Yup.

And I don’t see a problem in intentionally choosing to take up a challenge, and then getting bested.

That’s what competition is.

It’s two mirror comps.

Banning Rein and Zarya from comp means they aren’t select-able. So if you default to say D.Va Ball for instance. That’s another comp that’ll be mirrored on the enemy team because it’s the second best.

Can’t go with the first, go with the second right.

So you just bottle necked tanks into playing 1 or 2 instead of allowing them to select the rest.

Maybe they want to try Sig D.Va or Hog Winston together but your stupid banning system wouldn’t allow that.

Also your pitting tanks against each other and having them fight over what their dps should be killing.

So you want only mirrors essentially without allowing any freedom.

Might as well ban the rest of the tanks and force two essential ones every season :crazy_face:

Is this a joke?
Hero Bans only for tanks lol

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m very confused with you Grey.

You want MORE tank players… but give them bans… i’m so confused.

1 Like

How does not letting anyone below 3500 have their own mirror match do this though. They won’t change them based on rank (ie Rein 2000 hp shield below masters, 1600 above), and having this as an option for those above 3500 won’t have any impact on how they adjust characters because the option to have nothing banned is still there :man_shrugging:t2: the way I see this is a fun little tweak that lets people not have to play the meta tanks assuming almost everyone agrees. If you remove the fourth option of no bans it could be an interesting custom rule set.

That’s not really what this game is though. It’s more about switching and adjusting your strategy depending on what’s happening in the game/map/etc not locking everything down.

Not to say that I’m opposed to the concept as an optional thing to test out. It’ll probably lead to more angst if the tanks lock in a set that doesn’t work with much of their teams main chars though… or if one of your tanks goes rogue and locks you out of your main :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Perhaps both tanks from both sides agreeing is required, that way it fits into a more “gentleman’s agreement” to not play the omnipresent heroes.

1 Like

I thought you wanted more tank players?

The way I see it, right now at high tier, you’re almost restricted to 2 Tank mirror match. Almost.

With this you got a lot more Tank usage variety than what GM typically offers.

And based on the way voting goes, most the matches would be “No bans” anyways.

I think that Greyfalcon is on to something here. Not necessarily just about tankbans but overall making adjusted rules for the higher ranks. It alot of ways it feels unfair that some heroes are kept down just to cater to a minority of the players. e.g Dva is trash in lower ranks cause she wrecks in owl.

Doing changes that only affect those who will min/max the fun out of the game anyway seems like a good approach to me.

visible confusion meme

Respectfully.
That was a technical change, not a rule change.

Overwatch: Don’t post in all CAPS, use a misleading title, or use excessive punctuation, etc.
World of Warcraft: Don’t post in all capital letters, use a misleading title, excessive punctuation, and/or non-standard symbols, etc.

It does seem that they forgot to update the post about the change (last update Feb 2018). Needing to jump through hoops to use them, plus a blue deleting many of them, does send a message that they aren’t allowed.

While everyone wants their posts to be read, we ask you to refrain from using these types of tactics in order to bring more people to your thread. Let your post stand on its own merit. Threads violating this guideline are subject to removal.

“These types of tactics” could use a more clear description, such as prohibiting use of non-standard symbols.

Edits: formatting/typos, whee~

A rare sighting of a second forum MVP. I’ll say this Grey, you really have a way about you.

1 Like

I live in Tech Support, but I do read most of General. :smiley:

Give GreyFalcon green writing/MVP for contributing many ideas.

I’m fine without it. I don’t want to lose my edge on being critical of bad design ideas.

Overwatch doesn’t have a community MVP program like WoW does, only Tech Support.

No to hero bans. There aren’t enough choices for tank or support this would only be frustrating in the extreme. Hard NO from me.