OW2 PVP, Low Barrier problems

So we see 5v5 Tanks with 1200 barrier on Rein.

And was kinda beyond stumped on how they could pull off an almost-zerobarrier meta, without similar massive negative side effects of a zerobarrier meta.

Notably, how do they deal with

1. Sniper spam
  2. Damage Boosted sniper spam
  3. AntiHeal from bionade, being nearly a quarter the size of the objective
  4. Extra poke damage on healers
  5. Earthshatter having no reliable counters
  6. Ult Charge feeding

The sniper part was the most confusing. But I’m reminded about the way that games like Apex Legends and others solve a sniper dominance issue.

Sniper spam

• Any teammate can ressurect another downed teammate, similar to the Archives mission style Rez’s.
  • And allow for crawling on downed teammates.
  • Could even throw in the mechanic that DirtyBomb uses, and make it so downed enemies are very durable, however a melee attack puts them down instantly.
  • The usual 10sec “bleed out” timers apply.
  • Could make it so basic-rezzed teammates only come back up with 20% HP

Would make a lot of sense with game modes like Push where it’s going to be very difficult to cover all vantage angles against snipers.

That said,
The other fixes for that were kind of obvious:

• Bionade = Needs directhit to antiheal
  • TankUltChargeFeeding = 1/3rd the amount to enemies/healers, + faster passive Ult for healers
  • Random poke damage = Healer passive
  • EarthShatter = Tanks can bodyblock piercing attacks (Which also solves the firestrike/railgun spam)
  • UltCharge Feeding = Tanks give 1/3rd the usual Ult charge to enemies and healers, increase the passive Ult charge gain rate for healers.
1 Like

Hunm, this sounds interesting, with less barriers I think a counter to earthshatter will be needed, or else whenever enemies are playing together and there’s no barrier it will be a shatter free win.

Do you really think they would do this? What about Mercy’s rez ability?

…no

Rez is Mercy’s thing. Players also hate rez. Making all heroes able to rez is literally the worst idea.

Yikes.

1 Like

My guess is Mercy rez is just a better version, like more range, and faster. Probably a lot lower cooldown.

If devs are gonna solve “barely any barriers”, they are gonna have to deal with snipers.

And “Everybody can Rez” would go over a lot easier than nerfing snipers into the ground.

Additionally, it’s a lot harder to complain about something when all heroes can do it, compared to only one hero.

No. It really wouldn’t. At all.

Bye bye snipers :wave:

People hate rez. Everyone being able to rez makes people even more annoyed. Not hard logic to follow.

Everyone hates one shots. So you think people would be happy if every hero one shot? No. Lmao.

The type of Rez I’m imagining for team rez would be 100% immobility for the person doing the rez, and require very close range to start it.

Could probably take out the crawl mechanic, if it’s too much.

If the enemy team is sniping AND attacking at close range. It would be suicide to stand completely still, to go for a Rez.

Oh, and throw in that basic-rezzed teammates only come back with 20% HP.

Dirty Bomb was a bit faster paced with more explosive spam. I’m not sure how this could work in OW.

Lol, could make it so enemies killed by Reaper can’t be Rezzed if he eats their soul.

I think snipers would just have to lose their mobility in the horizontal direction along with better map design.

There are some interesting ideas from DB I wish we had though.

Or how about allowing Mercy to self-rez :stuck_out_tongue:

That BTC video is cursed. I can’t believe anyone realistically thought that was a good idea.

That being said, you should try replying to some of Jeff’s older replies with a link to this thread to get more visibility :upside_down_face:

Maybe they could make other supports Rez instead of the entire team?

Well…

“We’re going to keep an eye on snipers” makes me nervous that they don’t have a solution in mind.