★ Dear devs: level borders, whats the plan?

I’m just looking for more clarification on level borders…

This is the only info we’ve gotten since OW2 was announced. Even further back years ago they said they would add a new tier after diamond. I’m just asking for more info

If we never buy OW2 will our borders stay the same?

Leveling up to diamond border is legit the only thing keeping me interested in the game for a while now. I always need that carrot on end of stick to chase. I hate the stress and toxicity that comes with competitive so I don’t grind my rank or comp points,

so my account level is the only other thing (along with hero playtimes increasing).
I will be crushed if your account level will be gone once Overwatch 2 releases

Surely in the worst case scenario, you can simply make the border optional like profiles right?

Surely you wouldn’t outright remove something that people have been investing time and energy into for 4-5 years right? :pleading_face:

I guess this is just a shot in the dark hoping for a dev response. Jeff talked about borders before (the quote above) so he could do it again :slight_smile:

PS I think any dev message around here would be really refreshing. It kind of sucks to be the official forum for the game,

yet the competitive subreddit and secret discord are the only places devs are talking to the community anymore…

14 Likes

I want a level border, I’ve been playing for 3 years and still only lvl 350 :frowning:

I think they shouldn’t remove them, but allow people to hide their level, although idk whether that would work.

6 Likes

It works for profiles, so why not?

Those that want to keep it private can do so, those that want to show off can do so

1 Like

Ideally, it would be equippable like golden guns.

8 Likes

That’s a good idea, maybes we could also get custom borders too.

3 Likes

Ive also heard a suggestion of a basic numberless border that’s standard and exactly the same for anyone who equips it

5 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking something like a gray border. Plain, not too flashy.

Paladins has cool event borders you can equip, or ones from their battlepass.

Like if you played during Christmas one year you got a red one with candycanes and holly and it was pretty neato

3 Likes

They’ll probably give everyone a simple border but you can unlock super EXCLUSIVE borders by purchasing llama shaped pinatas with your dads credit card. :upside_down_face:

Anything to get rid of “silver border hard-stuck in plat” :confused:

3 Likes

how about the beta border ? i like the design

honestly thank Satan they’re removing the level borders or changing them, because currently i can’t tell the difference between silver & platinum (i think? im not sure which two it is but two of them are the exact same color except one has a touch of gold added on it).

Having more information on this would be nice. I can relate to what you say for the carrot :carrot: on the stick. I always was chasing getting into a higher portrait. It felt like a badge of honor. However, I found out when I got the gold portrait I never thought I’d get, I started getting hate mail and toxic people on voice chat on PS4. Mind you this was on game modes like quick play and arcade games.

My badge of honor became a burden. I am a heavy support main and play a few tanks as well. So if I want to go practice to get better at a damage character I never get to play, I’d get discredited by my border being pointed out and how bad I suck.

More information would be great. I’m almost in plat border. I created an alt account to learn damage. If they however are willing to let us hide borders. I want to stop using my alt account and just solider through with hate til overwatch 2.

I would rather they just remove the borders based on level and instead add borders that you can unlock either for currency or achievements or something.

I do like my diamond border but every now and again theres some troll who tries to make fun of me for “having no life” or some such nonsense and complains the whole round. It’s not a common occurrence, per se, but I’d rather have some better means of showing my progress.

Plus its not really feasible for them to keep adding an unlimited number of new borders, so I’ll hit the cap at some point and I’m gonna be sad when I do.

I think it would be cool if they implement border icons, just like career profile icons.

Perhaps every 100 levels you can unlock a new border, and they get better every time.

They could also create themed borders for heroes and events.

3 Likes

Borders should just be another cosmetic. They currently have no meaning since they don’t indicate skill, just longevity and they also sometimes lead to the toxic so-called “border shaming”.

My prediction: They go the “hero mastery” route that many games (such as League of Legends has) where your wins per hero rank you up in mastery of that hero and some soft rewards along with it.

I love individual champion levels in Paladins…wish so bad that OW had that

• “How can you suck at DPS with silver border?”
  • “Cause I play this game 6 months and was 5 months playing just support you Einstein…”

But I like leveling system and borders - grinding levels is one of those things, which makes you play more and more. But sometimes it´s really nasty, when you switch role and you are suddenly a “newbie” with a high level border. And people don´t use brain to get this scenario…

Just do what I do and make it your routine habit to automatically report everyone that types or says such needless (and worthless) inflammatory commentary—all of which is their unasked for opinion and morals of their perception of your lifestyle and person—and other such putdowns and belittlement as abusive chat. That is what it is after all, and if people would report this kind of bad behavior more often, we’d see less of it in the community.

Personally, I love my diamond border, and would love to see even more designs to work towards to have to show for my time spent in the game. I would hate to see the borders disappear completely. Perhaps, as compromise, we should have choosable borders, so people can pick their favorite designs, be able to “hide” behind lesser portraits to not feel “out of place” and be picked on more, and perhaps, even have special “event” borders (Mini-events? Hero challenges?)