“Tuning Supports down for OW2” (Hurricane Santa edition)

Wasn’t really able to really respond right away yesterday like I wanted.

Because currently moving into a new apartment and now I have hurricane :santa: Nicolas is at my door.

(Will add video here if it gets bad…. It’s okay right now, 20-40mph winds, a half inch of flooded road and fallen tree branches isn’t currently bad yet.)

But focusing on yesterday before being woken up by gusts;

Tuning down the Supports doesn’t sound good. It actually sounds horribly downright awful.

Honestly OW2 starting to sound like DPSWatch more and more, the more they reveal.

Plus I kinda liked Brig’s stun (unlike McCree). It is a good escape/ engage tool. (Without it, pretty sure Brig is even less fun to play.) Specially for those melee lovers. (Like me.)

21 Likes

Overwatch 2 is basically them dropping the facade that they’re “balancing” anything. They’re finally destroying tanks and supports so damage mains can live out a power fantasy with nothing getting in the way.

It was not enough that mobility, escape abilities and securing kills is the dominion of the “damage class” and anyone else who encroaches on it gets smashed down with nerfs until they are irrelevant.

It’s not enough that damage heroes and the people who main them outnumber the two other classes 4 to 1 and they have to BRIBE players to not play them in order for games to even launch.

No. Not enough.
So they literally flipped the entire concept of balance upside down and threw it out the window to give damage mains THEIR WAY. Again. To RIG Overwatch 2 to cater to them exclusively.

The team deserves nothing but the community’s disdain for their perverse dereliction.

41 Likes

This is the full quote and it makes sense.

For the stuns though, I’m hella salty. Apparently the whiny tank hivemind* can’t handle people putting up resistance to them pressing W with impunity or doing something other than propping up their mistakes. They already got lucio’s boop and bashing through shields but nooo it’s not enough, gotta get the stuns too. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the hourly complaint threads gets anti and hack nuked too.

*this does not mean all tank players

3 Likes

1 less person to be doing damage. And 1 less person to have to heal. I think it was pretty obvious healing would need to be toned down.

Also they didn’t say shield bash is going anywhere, just the stun. So it could still be here for mobility and whatever else they would add to it.

14 Likes

and yet you not only still play Overwatch, but are going to buy Overwatch 2 on launch

I think you need to go outside and calm down dude, you clearly are letting this get to you and hate the game

2 Likes

I mean support would be vastly stronger in a 5v5 situation. One less person to focus on supporting and healing, and one less person looking to kill you.

I’m not entirely sold on the changes specifically yet, but the idea of bringing down the support role’s power is good.

4 Likes

Imagine wanting to live out anything else than doing sick kills. Couldnt be me. I wont be falling asleep pressing heal and shield button.

1 Like

Just seems they are lessen the power of healing and other abilities. Just so we be hiding and focusing on healing more.

Aka this is not how Supports work in other games. Honestly I am tired of this forced narrative.

(Currently okay by the way…. I think, just waking up, again.) (parents lost power, luckily they had a generator installed.)

2 Likes

See Baptiste and Lucio for example, do they hide and just heal? These support heroes do amazing damage can peel for themselves. I think supports should be less about healing mass amounts of damage. As AndyB said, tanks do A LOT of damage way more than they actually mitigate so we don’t need that much of healing overall. I wanna see more Moira 1vs1 other heroes, DPS Mercy playstyle etc.

On the hindsight Baptiste was an bad example in some way as he is a huge part of the healing creep problem with one of the highest AoE heals

1 Like

The mmo classes will inevitably disappear.

1 Like

I am more concerned with the “off support” power. I like my CC.

Honestly with Brig I have more concern with the length of her Boop then anything else.

But maybe that’s because I was recently highlighted dying that way on YouTube.

In my defense, she did seem like a mile away.

In OW 2 everyone is a DPS. The problem with this is, they are just repeating the mistakes of 2016/early 2017 with allowing Dive hypermobile characters to rule the game. Of course players on these kits think this is just fine, but most were not around then and have no idea how stale the game becomes with just that. Also, do not expect any significant playerbase to stick with the game to just be slow-moving fodder for these kits either. It’s not sustainable as a game. This move with Brig is less game design, than marketing.

8 Likes

You forgot to add the number of DPS roles over others

I generally take what they discover via their playtests with a grain of salt. Live and Dev Tests are vastly different environments and we’ve broken a lot of the game very quickly on patch day regardless of these “playtests”.

8 Likes

When you rewatch the PvP stream back in May carefully you can see that they played around with some cooldowns of the Supports like Ana’s sleep dart cooldown got increased from 12 to 15 seconds and that the damage of Mercy’s pistol was increased.

I like the direction the Dev Team is going with the OW2 Support changes so far, cauz it’s right that the current Support role is in a kinda „healing creep“. It’s healthier for the game to tune down the general damage and healing of every character to rebalance the entire game for 5v5.

I also can imagine that we will see more off supports / different supports in the future which are less focused on just „healing“ the team instead they can support the team with their new and fresh utility. We need to view on it from a different perspective, cauz there are reasons, why the Devs struggled to release new Supports and Tanks, cauz with the DLC Supports and Tanks, they brought more and more balancing issues to the game.

1 Like
  1. We don’t know what else they are doing to Brig. There will be compensation…
  2. It doesn’t sound like DPSwatch. Tanks have been buffed to high hell. And with less players the power level of both supports and dps needs to decrease a bit.

… Really? REALLY?
You know a fraction a literal fraction of their changes and have jumped to this STUPID conclusion?

2 Likes

Five, nearly five-and-a-half, years of being on that exact trajectory, building to this point, it’s a SAFE bet that’s their endgame here. Nobody with half a brain who’s paying attention would disagree. Except perhaps the people they’re destroying the game to please; they’re cheering OW2, trying to obfuscate what’s being done to tanks and supports while bleating ‘wait and see’.

The team doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt after all the BS they’ve pulled over all these years of screwing over balance to please damage mains. They deserve nothing but contempt.

12 Likes

You mean the trajectory to a more damage (not the role) oriented game to the point where the devs recently outright confirmed that tanks are dealing more damage than they block and will lean further in that direction in OW2?

Or how supports also have become more utility and damage oriented?

1 Like

Amen

1 Like

Do you think they will buff supports utility like making Bap IF or Ana’s nade stronger?

1 Like