Director's Take - Mapping Out the Future

Yeah, can’t control the higher powers.

Overwatch team though, has always fought for a better game. So seeing this happen, and that these changes are getting green-lit make me happy.

2 Likes

nice, good job aaron and the ow team keep it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

W , i loved this. Thanks for keeping us in the loop

Map pools….were received just as poorly when you tried them in OW1….what in gods green earth possessed you to try again?

29 Likes

i never thought i would say that but GOOD JOB Aaron

Good news. Sounds like clearer thinking is starting to take hold in the decision room. Keep it up.

2 Likes

I liked map pools. Apparently I’m the only one but I think the devs were right the first time. This game does in fact have too many maps to learn and to keep track of going into changing metas, to keep the quality of gameplay high, make new maps feel impactful and make seasons feel distinct from each other, we need map pools.

Map pools shouldn’t have been a thing to begin with, especially if they are still in the game client taking space anyway.

10 Likes

So glad to hear that map pools are leaving, thank you.

2 Likes

Map pools going away? Hm. A bit late but still good decision

3 Likes

We had a rough launch but things are very good looking for 2023 :eyes:

Also, outside perhaps competitive since the point of it should be consistency, i never understood why there was map pools in quickplay in the first place. We already have arcade rotations that focuses on specific game modes and maps in the first place. I think these are good enough if people want a specific pool of maps or wants to learn a specific game mode.

1 Like

Nice. Maybe this F2P monetization model will work out after all. Seems like Blizzard is listening and adjusting a lot more than they did under the OW 1 model.

1 Like

Kinda living for the amount of communication we’ve been getting. It’s been great!

2 Likes

Yo! Great change! Keep up the good work team 4!

1 Like

Don’t ever play a game like TF2 then. Your brain might overload and melt from the amount of maps.

1 Like

Perfect time to come back and play when there’s content (new hero) and maps pools gone. this is a win.

Season 3 in the meantime…

/left chat

4 Likes

Wooo thanks…

For reverting the change that everyone told you it was bad to begin with…

Good job I guess?

1 Like

Is this the fourth communication post???

1 Like

This is great! Hope you guys keep up excellent work like this.

One thing.

“We don’t have any special code that prefers one map over another. However, it’s not entirely random.”

uh???

" there is a detail of the matchmaking system that does elevate Push maps a bit. The matchmaker tries to avoid people playing the same map as well as the same game mode over a short period of time."

aaaaahhh

2 Likes