Defense Matrix activated! Fortifying gameplay integrity and positivity in Overwatch 2

Except the fact that playing any hero is not a report-able/ban-able offense. Even if you play poorly.

7 Likes

It doesn’t matter. The system is automated.

Ever notice how people type slurs in chat and never get banned for it? There’s no human checking the legitimacy of their reports, and their own AI system can’t even pick up on things like slurs in chat.

All it does is calculate mass reports and ban people.

31 Likes

This is such a classic

Deadlypants is right for once. The system is automated. People mass report people in WoW to get them banned. Unless you’re a streamer, there is not much you can do about that.

Same goes for Overwatch, when there are enough people to report you, you are gone, doesn’t matter if you did something wrong.

15 Likes

Not a single word about the anti cheat? :joy:

5 Likes

Oh great because my favorite part about siege was having to unlock the base roster /s
Like i’m a veteran player but i cant imagine new players enjoying this or more impatient players wanting to deal with players not having certain characters in the base roster.

Awesomenauts also tried to have an updated new player experience and it drove all of my friends away from playing it cause the og tutorial was fine and this was just… not good at all.

10 Likes

That didn’t stop all those people in T500 having multiple accounts with different numbers

34 Likes

Oh thank god, at least some effort is finally being made to improve things. Voice chat might actually be reasonably usable if people can now get banned for toxicity in it.

Surprised they’re going that far with the SMS verification though, I expected they’d just restrict Comp. It’d be nice if they addressed current alt accounts somehow since they never discouraged them at all before.

8 Likes

I’m someone who swaps phone numbers pretty frequently because I use non contract plans, so I’m a bit concerned about getting locked out of my account during my next phone swap.

Outside from that, this seems like good stuff!

5 Likes

So you can get people to get their voice chat spied on by simply reporting them? Wow

11 Likes

Not to worry, there will be a booster pack in the shop for players who want to skip the grind!

6 Likes

There’s plenty of videos out there showing the system is abused. People have gotten banned in the middle of matches for doing nothing wrong.

Better not be too good at the game or the enemy team will mass report you.

8 Likes

Even Siege’s all char unlock didnt even give the base roster only the premium/dlc characters lol. You had to MANUALLY grind for all 20 characters.

1 Like

So are we going to actually be able to punish streamers when they’re engaging in toxic behavior or are they going to remain exempt from actual consequences?

28 Likes

Like the new onboarding system for new players. A long time coming. Great idea!

I wonder how many of the new Defense Matrix programs will actually apply to console players. I suspect a few might have integration issues with the existing console ecosystems.

1 Like

Well rip this account. I thought existing accounts would be grandfathered in to any possible SMS changes.

It was good knowing you Boshy

8 Likes

Ok, ok, i get it but important question, since endorsement stays, and lootboxes are out, is there any reason to keep it up high anymore?

6 Likes

I’m glad they’re putting more effort into fostering a more positive community. I hope their systems accomplish what they intend to do, and they have methods to mitigate abuse.

I don’t fully understand the “first time user experience,” but I hope it’s well received by its intended audience (too late to change it now). I’m fundamentally opposed to locking heroes, but… maybe that’s just because I understand the game better. I can only hope this gradual introduction is useful for players with an outside perspective.

8 Likes

Yeah to look down on others :sunglasses: :100:

1 Like

Could we get some clarification for the SMS protect with pre-paid phone numbers? If I don’t have a “monthly subscription/bill” for my phone, I am unable to use it for SMS protect? Lots of people outside of NA have “pre-paid” phones where you put a couple euros in a month, instead of paying a bill.

25 Likes