Why do we get so many duplicates in Loot Crates?

As a percentage no.

But when writing this, well…
I’ve got about 50% of the portraits
about 75% of the emoji
over 90% of the voicelines
about 70% of the announcers
about 50% of the sprays
100% of the banners
about 50% of the mounts
about 40% of the skins
all of the heroes

I do think that such a thing should be implemented.

Sounds unlucky for you. Or, it could be that you own all off the common items, but they make up larger than a 20% baseline of the total items.

Which again, highlights the need for a centralized “how much do I have/what am I missing” system.

Regardless, I think 20% overall “new” item isn’t an issue… if that 20% is all Rare/Epic/Legendary items. Which overall have about a 25% droprate together, as I understand it. Probably over 30% given organically you get rare chests 20% of the time.

Anyhow, I’ll take a proper look at the percentage of total items per rarity tomorrow.

1 Like

I would much rather have shards, as I can stockpile them in advance of an event, or when I know something I particularly want will soon be available (Artanis announcer, when?). I do not want to feel obliged to gamble on loot chests just to get something specific.

2 Likes

Overwatch is pay to play. Hots is not. Loot crates in hots were never meant to provide you with a reliable way to get cosmetics.

1 Like

This makes me wonder if the gaming industry is polling their consumers to find out how effective their strategies are. :thinking:

Do you like loot chests? Do you buy loot chests? What would you spend more money on than loot chests?

If the gambling isn’t rewarding like you say, who would spend money on it? Is it really better than just making interesting things and selling them directly?

That’s basically the reason.

You have to account rarity into your reasoning.

On about level 1000 it’s likely you have most common/rare items therefore most of what you find in chests is going to be a duplicate.

Regardless of that, this game is free to play but still provides enough resources to acquires most heroes rather quickly.

Do you also want all cosmetics handed you for free? Do you want them to pay you for playing? :smiley:

1 Like

Honestly, getting many duplicates in loot chests doesn’t really bother me when it’s just free chests earned through playing. I’m fine with free stuff only occasionally containing something useful.

For sales, however, loot crates with duplicates are terrible.

2 Likes

Sometimes I open an epic< item and I’m sad it’s not a duplicate because I don’t like the item but I would like the doritos to craft something nice. So I’m happy with duplicates as well. I crafted some stuff recently but I still have 4k+ atm. And since it’s unlikely that I’d open the legendaries I want (Alarak and Abathur announcer, Janitor Leoric, Plushiecorn mount) I welcome every shard I can get.

Eh, who cares. Most of the are duplicated when you get almost everything anyway. Duplicates are actually preferred, since they allow you to actually craft that 1 new thing instead of trying to catch it.

I can’t even be bothered to open my 230 chests…

To be honest I look for double in creates so I can get something I actually want, since it is the only way to get worth while currency that is.

I dropped money for 10 crates and was happier to see a legendary drop I already own then anything else. That’s 400 shards.

That when I realized blizzard loot is trash if I spend really money hoping to get a double to get 1/4 the shards I need to buy the item I was spending the original 10$ for there is a problem.

1 Like

Can we just go back to earning Gold and buying what we want? Then if we truly want something and don’t have the Gold, we can buy it with cash.

Ya know, like the good old days. I don’t need random stuff for free. I’d rather earn it and/or support the game by buying the stuff I want.

(I miss Master Skins - it was something to look forward to after leveling a Hero)

I would gladly free you from your burden :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad I never spent money on loot chests since they were introduced in 2.0. That release, in my opinion, was one of the game’s worst decisions. For me, it completely removed my need/desire to spend money on HotS. I used to buy the 10$ packs pre-2.0 if I liked the skin sets enough.

There is absolutely nothing that is buyer friendly about the loot chests; they could increase odds of getting things you don’t have, or making sure you don’t get things from duplicate categories in one chest, no duplicate legendaries like Overwatch, anything to make them a little more buyer friendly. That simply isn’t the case.

I’m sorry to anyone that has spent money on loot chests, especially the guy in this thread stating he spent $150.

1 Like

Overwatch is not pay to play tho?

I think he meant buy to play.

At some point I was getting many duplicates. Nowadays it’s 1-2 per chest.

My real problem with the current system is that there are so many useless items. Fine, have them purchaseable - emojis, portraits, voice lines. But skins and heroes are a vast minority. Also, getting items for heroes you don’t own.

Having one currency would be enough. You should be able to buy that currency. Sure it’s pay to win, but that’s the only income, and relying on full random (boost only, equivalent of the WoW sub) or excessive grind (50-100 chests = levels for a single item) is not ideal.

Let’s say we’d get fixed 20* gems per chest, plus 3 guaranteed unique items.
You could both purchase specific items gradually (free to play approach) and gather gifts in a way where everyone is a bit unique.

• Just a rough estimate - promoted items are 3-400, heroes 750 these days.
1 Like

Define “So many”.

What are your stats?

I don’t think the OP’s too far wrong, in my experience I’m more likely to get mostly duplicates even though I have over 1700 player levels and bought a great deal of loot before 2.0. Most of these dupes are more likely to be rare or common, and considering there is more rare and common loot compared to epic/legendary, it’s not that much of a surprise.

Taking into account the much higher number of filler items such as emojis/sprays/banners and most of this being rare or common loot, yes it rigged in that sense. None of this would be much of an issue if Loot Chests were not purchasable, but considering they are, it’s a fair point to bring up. Many people posting here keep saying “it’s free loot”, well yes it is for me as I’d never buy a loot chest, but the fact remains they are still an item that is for sale for real money.

I must be another of the “unlucky” people, my friends must be too. That’s about 50 active people out of the 100 on my friends list who play almost daily and have high account levels. They also tell me they mostly role commons/rares and often with four dupes in a chest.

3 Likes

The short answer is $$

That said im 1533 and I have to have close to 70% give or take 10%( was at a quick glance) so Im not sure what youre doing wrong.

The OP, at level 1450 (presumably level 900-1000 when HotS 2.0 rolled out) has only 20% of all the items in the game.

Not getting all of the items, and getting duplicates is a thing. But only 20% of the items? That seems very doubtful.

Anyhow, I meant to count through my items with a fine eye, but it is time to sleep…

So I’ll have to do in the next couple of days. Before or after work.

2 Likes