Why do people claim the game is dying?

Cutting the size of the development team isn’t an indication that the game is dying? I can’t even respond to such faulty logic. Your claim is incredulous.

1 Like

whenever a game company leaves a fluff filled message saying how much they love the game but they’re cutting the staff, the game is screwed…
don’t let any of the fluff fool you, what they are saying is “we aren’t making mad stacks of cash, so we’re sacrificing this game to send the majority of the team to work on cashgrab titles.” (in the case of Activiblizz its mobile garbage)

3 Likes
  1. The most recent Quick Match changes make the mode extremely frustrating to play with a party of friends wanting to just have fun with a wonky comp. If we queue up as 3 or 4, the game will literally REFUSE to let us play what we want to play, and if we play as 5 with some dumb drunk comp, there is zero chance will be matched against anything remotely similar to fool around. And all that is on top of having 5-10min queues compared to 30s queues previously. Quick Match was supposed to be the fun, wacky, Wild West mode where everything is made up and the points don’t matter. I enjoyed it immensely as such. But all you Quick Match tryhard whiners had to ruin that for everyone instead of doing the rational thing and take your nonsense to Unranked Draft.

2. The recent XP and laning changes make the metagame work in such an idiotic fashion that I can’t even. Very, very little you do in the early game matters for anything. You can wreck 4-5 buildings with all your forts standing and chances are you will still be on par in xp. Every match is either a complete stomp by one of the teams, or a game between equal teams, in which case NOTHING you do before the 20min mark counts for anything and the game is decided solely by which team wins the lv20 brawl at the end. I used to enjoy strategizing and employing different lane strategies. There is no point to that now. The game is now 100% about 5v5 brawls. I have no interest in playing a 20-30min game if there is largely no point to anything but the last 5 minutes.

I don’t care about the HGC or any other form of organized play. I don’t care about the team being downsized and more time between updates. I care about the game being enjoyable to play. And after the last couple changes made to it before the big announcement, it is not.

Never in a million years have I expected to say this, but I am having more fun playing League of Legends right now. It actually makes me sad to admit that, ‘LoL player’ was almost a derogatory slur within my play circle and right now there’s a full five-man on Discord playing it and all I can think about is how bummer it is there’s no slot for me ATM.

Pretty much, I don’t get why anyone is fooled by the fluff anymore and not able to see through it. Especially after being screwed over in their other games lately like WoW/Diablo. I would have thought that eventually most people would reach a breaking point/see whats going on here but I guess denial is still in effect for some.

@1
The way they did it was disgusting, they wont see my money again

@2
Ever played Diablo3? There was a devteam that became smaller but still had goals… Rather sooner than later not much of that devteam was left, the necromancer shipped and no patch came for like 1.5 years afterwards.

Even if the HotS team doesn`t know it, but I guess they will “help out” at other projects at some point and never returned is my guess. Not all at once, but in a few months you will see what i mean.

@3
While MM always was problematic, the early 2018 desaster never got reverted. Little example: Theres a NA GM player that was gold before the messed up placements, he placed Master1000 and thanks to rank adjustmentpoints and similar boosted players he is GM. This is not ok.

@4
2-3 new players is very optimistic. Keep in mind that thx to no hgc and cutdown on devteam, there`s also less exposure for the game.

3 Likes

i think this sums it up pretty well. blizzard doesnt know how to give bad news. then when they do it turns into a disaster.

2 Likes

the games dead and it’s the design teams fault. They failed. The c-suite wanted an esports title and they treated this game like it was hearthstone or candy crush.

Anything to the contrary is denial.

Honestly said, the HGC was kind a hurting the game balance in some ways. Like the support nerf was caused by the fact “people prefer watching full team wipes instead of fights, where both teams have good sustain”. So they just killed the whole double support trend… Even if it was a thing in only ~5% of the regular games.
Also, heroes like Hanzo, Medivh, Tassadar, Tracer, etc couldn’t get any buffs, even if they are undertuned, because they would otherwise be overperforming in the HGC.
The game balance was suffering because of it xP
And while it may not be a good thing they’ve canceled it, there are some merits to that decision as well.

1 Like

At the end of the day, HGC’s non-existence does not change anything concerning why I play the game and a smaller dev team is not the same as no dev team.

Angry people generally don’t have good things to say.

People are angry because they are losing games or because Blizzard became “evil” this year with activision taking control, conspiracy, my tin foil hat and blah blah blah.

2 Likes

I hope they don’t talk more, after I say yeah you have right.
It’s very hard talking with them and not worth it.

Still no Mei after more than 4 years. You are now woke!!

If supports were so strong that it was better to take 2 per group, how would 1 support be stronger by nerfing them all? The nerfs didn’t even make sense on some of them. It was a psychological trick to get people to stop playing dual support.

Medivh rework was for QM and low skills. He isn’t less powerful for HGC. He has the same spells for the same enables. His dmg is more consistent for lowbies that can’t coordinate with their team or lowbies that can’t coordinate with their medivh.

Most lowbies can’t play Tassadar because he’s a proactive healer rather than a reactive healer. Hanzo is still OP regardless of skill tier. Just because he’s used wrong in low skill games, doesn’t mean his kit and range isn’t ridiculous. Tracer still busts the original game. The game was fundamentally changed because of her. She had something like a 70% winrate on release because it baited out preorders for OW.

The game balance didn’t suffer. The lowbie games suffered because someone picked Medivh because he’s cool even though they and their teammates couldn’t play him nor with him. Portal enables a team to punch and counter punch the enemy team as a whole against the whole. Portal is a phenomenal tool. Most lowbies never use portals. Most lowbie medivhs never use portals for allies. That has nothing to do with game balance.

2 Likes

If you ever played Vanilla wow through to Cataclysm, you would know that Activision ruined Blizzard. Cataclysm was such a low quality expansion that it caused me to quit wow for a very long time, and I only came back after that for brief stints to play through the quests and raid some, to see what WoD and Legion were like.

Their win rates in Master + Diamond TL + HL:
Tassadar: 42,8%
Hanzo: 48,9%
Medivh: 47,9%
Tracer: 51,8%
I suppose they are making Tracer somewhat work (although she’s at 4,7% popularity, meaning people are only playing her when they know she’ll work), and Hanzo did get some buffs to his consistent damage output recently (although he had to trade his objective/merc melting power).
Yet Medivh is kind a underperforming even in the highest levels of games. And Tassadar is just a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve not read the whole thread but the answer is simple.

The same people that claim this game is dead are the exact same people who have been claiming WoW has been dead for the past 12 or so years.

Ignore them.

Cata had quite a few good things actually. The raids were great (apart from Dragon Soul), and the 5mans were fantastic, immersive and very atmospheric. Every expansion has it’s good points and while Cata over-all is pretty “meh”, there were good moments.

Honestly I think someone messed up somewhere so bad that it caused the cancellation. Management issues, time issues, something and so on.

Why the 5th-6th most played moba in the world is dying? Everytime I play this game i have to wait at least 300 seconds to get a game in any mode…

1 Like

The queue times are worse than they’ve ever been.

The MM is worse than it’s ever been.

QM is worse than it’s ever been with the new role rules that don’t seem to ever work properly.

HGC cancelled, so no pro-scene, which no doubt causes a lot of people to lose interest in the game long-term.

They still aren’t fixing a lot of the problems people have been asking to be fixed since the game was in BETA.

The game might not be dying right now, but it’s definitely not sprouting new flowers and growing healthily.

2 Likes