What YOU say about [MAP-POOL]?

I want to discuss about the map pool limitaton.

Would you say: Put all maps into the pool / Remove the map pool limitation
Or can we leave it as it is now?

Please name at least one reason.

I am against it because even after 4 years we see people above bronze 6 still not baiting punishers behind towers or pushing DK where all 5 of them are.
Putting all maps into rotations for ranked would overload some brains.

On the other hand it can help to see what maps needs improvement provided it can be changed fast enough. eg: buffing the obj on hanasucka or nerfing gnoll camps on alterac.

1 Like

Eh. I think having a map pool for ranked is good.

I think if anything it should be smaller for ranked. Like… 6-8 maps.

Everything should be available for QM And UR.

1 Like

Implement map draft or map vote and I’m fine with whole map pool being available. Without put small map pool with just the best maps for ranked.
Never even look at BhB, HM, Garden or Hanamura again. Braxis if the crap free 50% objective for loser gets removed. Warhead if they reduce the max amount of nukes spawning at once and shrink the map some 20-25% so there is not so much empty space. More camps that push for Alterac and Volskaya(for ToD too so it’s not just about bottom of the map). Rest are fine as is(please turn sky temple tiles to darker tone so certain skins and abilities aren’t so much harder to see on it).

That depends on the way this system works. Since other games also have such feature, this system has a common flaw: It makes less popular maps never appear.

In many games they give 3 or 4 random maps, and players can vote which map they prefer. Even if there is a map pool of 20, if you get 3 maps, you will rarely see a map of the bottom 5 as this only has a chance of about 1% to show up as being forced to the players. And then its still a battle between 5, which would make a map show up in about 0.2% of the games.
Sure, sometimes teams can vote for it. But that is far too unreliable.

Sadly the only way to force this, is by forcing the map.

The other alternative was to allow players to ban maps.
in a 12 map pool allowing 2 bans, in a 20 pool allowing 4 (basicly 1 ban per 8 maps rounded upward). This number gives enough maps as remainder even with a 5man lobby (although in that case it shouldnt be considering those bans too strict, unless at least 3 voted for the same map).
And the matchmaker decides the map before actualy gathering the players. Players that have the map banned get skipped, and those who havent are put into a game.
This prevents players from playing on their most hated maps, but other than that still allows a random map selection.

1 Like

That is completely fine with me. If map is doodoo people shouldn’t need to play on it till they fix the problem(s) which makes the map so bad. We didn’t have all maps available even for competitive scene when we had one. In reality we would’ve had even less maps there if we it wasn’t for best of 7 series at tournaments. It’s why some maps were practically never played, nobody wanted to play on those maps.

well i don’t care if it’s pve oriented or whatever i miss blackheart bay so much from ranked. Same was for GoT which is now back and I’m so glad, but now i miss the old version.

yeah put all maps in the rotation, i.e.: remove the rotation

2 Likes

Which is a problem when 1 of the most popular maps, is actualy doodoo (luckily not the case in hots, but in team fortress 2, 2fort is still horrible and the #1 most played map).

Not everyone likes the same maps, and not everyone hates the same map. Thats why the entire map pool (with the exceptions of problematic maps like the old hanamura) should in its ideal state have a somewhat equal play rate.

With a decent system, problematic maps will show a lower play rate, but less popular maps very often wouldnt (if they do its a minor diffirence compared to the #1, for example 5% less games). Its not a problem that the most popular map is played less, it doesnt say the map is bad at all.

But making people constantly play on the same map is a bad thing to do. It makes people surprised and confused when suddenly they see a map that is barely played. They would then call the map bad, while instead its just the player being bad because he doesnt know the map.
Thats a symptom you never should have.

Sure, in competetive they will generaly play more on the most popular map, but that has a diffirent reason: money. People generaly dont want to watch people play on a map they dont like. Thats why in such environments the vote system works. They automaticly aim towards popular maps.
And in some cases a map that the team likes, but is less popular. But this is exactly something you want to see aswel. A team playing on their favorite map always guarantees an interresting game (or a massive stomp, but hey guess why you shouldnt purely focus on just the most popular maps).

Leave it as it is, because a limited map pool makes the game incredible boring for me. I hated it every time Blizzard put one in.

I agree with this. However, we should drive Booty Bay out to the country and just let it free. Let it be in a better place, a place where it can run free and hunt to it’s hearts content, and frolic in fields of daisies…

Fine as is but should have a 1 or 2 maps veto for ourselves, would provide some limitation but only this time it’s something we ourselves (and for ourselves) could control

Hanamura shouldn’t be on ranked. That’s my only complaint

Vetos being up lots of issues, unless most people are vetoing the same map(s).

A “like” or system which tries to put you more on maps you like is better for matchmaker, and still is probably negative on it.

As long as you replace it with a big map like Warhead or Blackheart I am all for removing it!

But I love my macro play and huge maps. I suspect i’m In the minority.

PleaseDoNotKillMe.

bigger map pool the better, some games will be frustrating to play but it opens up the field for unconventional hero picks, and map diversity is the only thing keeping this game from going stale

some small changes can really make the maps much better, such as the 2 new towers next to the middle gate that prevent your healing well from getting sniped early

I think map pool is fine for Ranked.

I think map pool is stupid for QM

Rework BHB, Reduce merc spawn timers in Haunted Mines and let us play that map instead.

Put all maps in. Variety is good.

Get rid of and for all eternity: blackhearts bay, warhead, hanamura, battlefield of eternity, braxis, haunted mines, alterac pass, and garden of terror.

For quickmatch, im either way.

For ranked: never. I mean BHB should never be in the ranked pool, and map shifts also shift viable hero picks, keeping the seasons fresh