Uneven role distribution in matchmaking

Am I still right to assume the matchmaker tries to match teams one role for one role? It somehow stuck with me that the MM aims to create equal teams with a matching number of participants. Two tanks should face two tanks, no healer should face no healer. Is this still correct?

Reason being in the last couple of days or weeks really I played a lot of matches with varying group sizes from just me alone up to a full stack and something in between. And more often than not there are uneven numbers of roles across both team.

Most noticeable the tank/bruiser category. Frequently I get matches with three tanks vs one or worse just one bruiser. Either on my side or the opponents. The only thing currently working appears to be the healer category where you either both have one or both donā€™t.

It literally takes all the fun out of the game when the simplest rule of matchmaking goes out the window like that. Seriously if the heroes do not need to be at the same tier at least match the right roles.

1 Like

so you imposed a demand, didnā€™t check if it was ever true, and then made assumptions that it has to be the ā€˜easiestā€™ part of the matching?

Youā€™re conflating two parts of what matching does: it only matches one if the other side has one, and thatā€™s it. It has not, and does not, try to match two for two, and bruiser/support considerations are only if the game doesnā€™t have tanks or healers respectively.

Team Composition Rules[edit | edit source]

• Quick Match will prefer not to mirror individual heroes, i.e. place the same hero on both teams, when other options are available.[6]

• Quick Match prefers to mirror certain roles in the opposing teams:

• Both teams have at least one Tank or neither will (Varian, while categorized as a Bruiser, is considered Tank in terms of QM matchmaking)
    • Both teams have at least one Healer or neither will
    • If neither team has Tanks, both teams have at least one Bruiser hero or neither will
    • If neither team has Healers, both teams have at least one Support hero or neither will
  • Quick Match also prefers to limit the number of certain roles:

• No more than 3 Tank or Bruiser heroes.
    • No more than 4 Assassins.
    • No more than 2 Healers and Supports.
    • No more than 3 Melee heroes.[7]
  • The number of stealth characters you can have on a team should be limited to 1. This includes Nova, Samuro, Valeera, and Zeratul.[8]

• It is very unlikely that you will encounter more than one of the following heroes (with unique roles, or have limited lane presence) on the same Quick Match team: Abathur, Choā€™gall, Lt. Morales, Murky, Nova, The Lost Vikings.[9]

• Note: Parties can still bend those rules! This means that you may still see heroes like Abathur and Choā€™gall on the same team if those players entered the queue as a party.

• If you are matched against a team that has two of the above heroes in their composition, such as Abathur and Murky, your team may also receive two of the listed heroes.

Considerations of hero ā€˜tierā€™ donā€™t exist for matching and you might want to ask yourself why you thought subjective ideas would somehow be objective ones before you rant off on what you claim to be the ā€˜simplestā€™ rule. People blindside themselves by calling things ā€˜simpleā€™ when they arenā€™t sure what is actually involved as a means to try to rationalize their ignorance as power over anything else they donā€™t like :confused:

3 Likes

I get how annoying these kind of complaints are, but to be a bit even handed here he did ask if his very incorrect assumptions were correct. I think this is a step above other people who post here claiming they know all the facts, complain and demand change.

Yes the OP got everything pretty much wrong but Iā€™m going to give them a pass, this is a place to ask questions, even if they are a bit silly and maybe uninformed.

1 Like

ā€œFrontlineā€ does get into a bit of gray area, sure. 4 ranged +1 healer on both sides might seem fair enough, but if one of those healers is Rehgar or Kharazim, then itā€™s not gonna be a fun time for that healer.

But all things considered, I rarely feel like Iā€™m dealt a completely lost cause.

1 Like