Try mode 210 FPS - Braxis 40 FPS

As Chen Stormstout always says: “The balance must be preserved.”

When it’s raining during zerg wave on Braxis I feel my PC struggling with i7-6700 / gtx1060 3gb / 16gb ram, dropping below 40 FPS.

I have to turn down settings on a game I occasionally get 200+ FPS.

Thanks Thunder God!

3 Likes

And i sits at 60 fps with a 2 year old laptop from 2017 that has those settings:

2.8GHz quard core 3.6GHz turbo
8GB ram
4GB VRAM

Maybe you should try and check if your computer meets system req or if your drivers are up to date

Dust in the CPU also makes your computer drop in performance so check that too.

Their computer passes the recommend specs easily.

Their lack of quality settings used is more my concern.

1 Like

That dust thing actually completely destroyed my gaming since temperatures got so high (212F, 100C), frames dropped to 5 per second then it locked up entirely.

When I cleaned the fan it was entirely filled with dust, the metal part (heat sink?). When I removed that with compressed air then my temperatures dropped to 140F and PC no longer locked up during gaming.

3 Likes

That s what i did too. I bought a dust cleaner and removed a whole sahara desert from my laptop. Then it went down from 80 C to only 60 C when i play so it yes it does alot cleaning your computer.

2 Likes

I made it my habit to open up (and slightly disassemble) my computer once per year for thorough cleaning, haven’t had any problems this far. And while I don’t have a complete potato PC, it’s not far from wood status.

2 Likes

nvidia 1060.
3gb on a graphics card just feels off… still. i think they done it intentionally so you had to buy the 6gb version if you really wanted it for gaming. since most cards come with 4gb which is about all you need unless you are really handling a lot of stuff.

…but whatever

first off try mode has a lot less to deal with. its a single lane with only up to 3 heroes. less if you turn off your ally and opponent. which means there is less environment, less heroes, less abilities going off… etc. your graphics arent working very hard in try mode really.

not saying something ‘isnt’ wrong just saying take this into account.

only other thing would be if weather effects arent in try mode. i havent really looked actually. that could also do things.

other than that i have, in the past, helped ppl out on the tech forum with nvidia and amd fps issues. undoubtedly it came down to driver issues where just uninstalling, running DDU, then installing a better driver (not necessarily newest) fixed everything.

1 Like

Weather is the likely culprit. Given it impacts performance overall, just seems to do it (a lot) more for some.

Performance should be lower in game, but not that much lower…

Weather shouldn’t hit VRAM. And yeah, the 3GB thing is, well, Nvidia scamming customers because they know people will buy still.

1 Like

This game runs on Intel HD Graphics… Usually hots doesnt even take up 2 GBs of VRAM.

The problem is with the rain anomaly during a full Zerg Wave and 10 heroes around makes it overwhelming on most PCs. Soon as weather cools down and Zergs are gone, we are back to 100+ FPS…

1 Like

Likely related to the weather effects. I have also seen some pretty bad frame rate drops during some of them and usually I have >>100 FPS.

2 Likes

I believe this game is more CPU reliant, but I could be wrong. Either way, I think you’d be better off with at least a 1060 6GB card, if you can afford the upgrade. It might not solve the issue but it should at least make it a little better overall.

Even before the weather anomaly, I’ve noticed a decline in performance and fps as Blizzard released new HotS patches. Maybe they should do a patch that addresses performance.

tbh, if you were going to upgrade just buy the 1660 super or TI instead of rebuying a 1060 with less performance value. of course if you had a bit more to spend there is always the 2060.

thats probably it. if the weather isnt turned on in Try Mode (dont see why it would be honestly) then it explains it. lots of ppl are having problems with weather including myself. i have a pretty beefy computer too, not getting FPS lag but i do get start of the game DC where it just kicks me out and after i reconnect i will be all good.

1 Like

if you’re gonna upgrade and you have decent performance outside of developers killing performance for no reason, wait 6 months. Or less.

RDNA 2.0 and Consumer Ampere == pref/price increases, and massive raytracing improvements. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually yeah the 1660 is a better deal. I forgot about that card lol. The 2060 might be a little too expensive for some.

I have the same GPU and unless you want to play anygame at 2k or 4k you don’t need any upgrade, 1060 3gb is enough for any game at 1080 (4 gb GPUs are overrrated).

And about your issue, try by reinstalling your game (delete all the previous information) or upgrade your drivers but I warn you HotS is so poorly optimized you will never have stable FPS unlesss you spend a lot of money (you can buy a switch, a ps4, and xbox one with than money).

HotS cannot really use that much video memory. I use a GTX 760 4 GB model and it is pretty much CPU bottlenecked. Video memory usage is only a gig or so.

Due to the cards losing value as they age, a 1060 6GB brought second hand might be very cheap compared with a brand new 1660 Super. If they had poor value proposition they would not sell.

Well if you took a look at the requirements to play the game the minimum is 3gb of vram and the recommended is 4gb of vram. If the OP only has 3gb then they’ll benefit from a card with more vram.

But what card has 4gb or 6gb of vram that is at least as good or better and than the 1060 6gb and is the same price or cheaper?

I honestly don’t even know what that feels like. I built my own computer and I don’t really notice a difference between 40 fps and 60 fps. It all seems completely fluid to me so I can’t imagine the game becoming even more fluid than that.

I play on ultra settings as well.

1 Like

for you to notice a difference above 60fps you need a monitor that is higher than 60hz. otherwise you may as well just lock your fps to 60 because going above that is a waste of PC resources on a 60hz monitor.

Good to know! My PC is awesome but my monitor is ok. Maybe I’ll buy a better monitor so I can enter the next dimension.

1 Like