This Game is Unplayable When

Don’t get mad if someone wants to enjoy their game and turn off chat completely to avoid chatter from people like you. You’ll most likely still complain that they threw the game since they can’t hear you insult them.

Justifying yourself by hiding behind the rest of the team is cowardly. The person is trolling you, just you. You are the one who ruined the party for the rest.

Even in real life you won’t insult a stranger for not understanding something. If you do, you are part of the problem.

Extreme extrapolation here. The insults begin the moment one choses a hero they play well with. The moment one makes a mistake. The moment someone ignores a ping. Even sooner, player level!
Insults come in like a river. For any reason. So don’t speak as if ALL insults are deserved.

This is rich. This ain’t Full Metal Jacket. You really think you can discipline players? They might listen to you, if you treat them with some respect and common courtesy. Imagine that!

You may not care about anyone’s feelings, but the people you hurt care about their own. Don’t get mad when someone defends themselves when you try and bully them from behind the rest of the team. People don’t let things slide that easily. If they suck at the game, you have shown zero understanding. You won’t be able to teach them with your hateful method. Your method only causes a negative reaction.

So you insult someone first, because treating them with respect is something you need to earn? Classy.

You aren’t entitled to be a colossal a-hole just because “it’s a game”.

2 Likes

People confuse pointing out bad play for insulting pretty fast though.

The amount of times my ‘y?’ after I see someone dying dumb is followed with ‘stf*’ is pretty dang high.

Context is a thing and I’ve had plenty of troll throwing beeps because they misread criticism for insults and throw a hissy fit over it.

Insults be bad, but people throw already for less and those can go straight back to the baby crib they came from in my book.

1 Like

Because throwing a fit after a poor play isn’t being a “pissy princess”? In these situations, both players are just as petty and useless to the team. If you start your game by insulting your teammates, your chance of winning immediately drops. Players like that contribute to their own loses.

2 Likes

This game is unplayable under 50 steady fps.

1 Like

This game is unplayable when it’s not running.

3 Likes

People often confuse criticism and insults as being constructive.

All you say is “y?”. Did you expect them to explain themselves to you? Are you an authority that needs to be reported to when bad plays happen?

You know it’s a bad play, yet you still feel the need to point it out after the fact. Are you Mr. Obvious? This doesn’t do anything to help the situation.

No one expects you to teach the player so they can improve, but typing out “y?” makes this act just as useless and insulting.

So yeah,

is the expected reaction.

You speak of context, but it totally went over your head.

1 Like

Yeah, telling someone they suck instead of providing constructive criticism not only does nothing to help win the game, it also exemplifies very poor communication skills/bigger-picture awareness. Very selfish to turn an educational opportunity into puffery at the other person’s expense. That person who told the other player they sucked is clearly either not very wise, or not very smart.

You should try playing with some level 1000+ Bronze 5 players who immediately make a comment about something completely unrelated the moment they die. Like when they sit still autoing as ETC 1v4, decide way too late that they should retreat, and then die to Tracer, they’ll say “ugh, I keep forgetting about the Tracer changes” as if that somehow validates the string of errors they just made as any level of ‘the right play’.

Now, that person sucks. Should you tell them that they suck? I mean, maybe, but not in the middle of a game. Maybe during the replay analysis with them you can say, “I see you making this error all the time, even though I’ve told you repeatedly about it.”

2 Likes

Cant believe the jerks in this thread.

You guys seriosuly think youre fine by insulting others? Like theres nothing wrong with this? Everyone needs to tolerate your bs and your venting? You dont need to tolerate their retaliation but they certainly need to tolerate your shh talking?

I think you are just as selfish and immature to flat out insult others in a game for anything they do. Grow tf up.

3 Likes

then instead of asking “why”, try stating the obvious. “4 of them were rotating to your lane and we pinged for you to leave lane. Now we have to give objective”

and then make the shotcall: “since obj is bot, take their top camp and push their fort.” then ward the rotation path or stick your tank/mobile hero where you can keep tabs on the enemy team so you know when it’s time to leave

enjoy not being in your rank anymore

On the other hand, by your logic, you aren’t entitled to be a whiney biznatch either. Take your own advice, keep your mouth shut, and your ‘feewings’ to yourself.

Do I seem like I’m getting mad about it?
I’m getting mad if people start trolling because their “feewings” got hurt. And believe me, this days you can hurt those soft petals by simply saying “lanes” in the beginning of the match. One word.
I had 2 people recently throw a game and typing over 300 words each because “I’m telling them what to do”.

So no, I have zero care for people who throw matches out of spite.

No.
That’s not how it works.

In the real world, if you insult someone and she shoots everyone around you - it’s not like you can justify that it was, in fact, your fault.

It’s their fault. 100% their fault. Not even 99.9% - one hundred percent their fault.

Hiding behind “But I was insulted so I have a right to troll” is just stupid.

I really think that the community should discipline players, and that a**holes only understand one form of discipline - punishment.

Almost never works.
And to be fair - I start with that. If it still doesn’t work - then I’m OK to just insult them.

You’d be surprised how often pings or calm constructive criticism doesn’t work - but call a man a f***ing pathetic idiot - and they change the pattern of play. Especially if several people on the team do that.

Like it or not - but pain, including emotional pain from being insulted - is one of the top stimuli for people to learn or pay attention.

If that’s the only thing they care about - then what does it matter? If they chose to be anti-social, they shouldn’t be surprised that I am acting anti-socially to them in return.

Throwing a game - is not defending themselves.
Changing your f***ing behavior - is.

And you’re awfully fond of that “from behind the team” argument. How much hypocricy should you have to say that, when you excuse a person who ruins a game for 3 innocent bystanders to “get back” at a person who insulted them, for probably a good reason?

Pinging them to back and danger, writing them in chat what they did wrong - is showing enough understanding.
If they still think of themselves as the smartest player and ignore all that - there’s no more understanding I am ready to spare. They’re animals, not people at this point.

And negative reaction is one of the prime stimuli to learn.
This is how human brains work.

People are MUCH more likely to stop poking fire if they get burnt - than if you tell them not to a thousand times.
Getting insulted - is a natural consequence of ignoring calmer criticism. And after havint their mood ruined for 50 games in a row - they WILL learn and they WILL understand which of their actions lead to that.
They WILL concentrate on a situation more and analyze it a bit more. And even if they deny it at the moment - in the back of their heads they WILL know that dying 1v5 was probably not the best play by them, and that they got burned because of that, not because another person is a meanie.

No. I ping them first, then when they don’t listen and throw - I explain, without insult, what they did wrong. If they make the same mistake later - I insult them. Justly.
And I don’t care about their feelings - they don’t deserve for me to care about that.

Excuse me, but right back at you.
Throwing a game for 3 people is being MORE of a colossal a-hole than insulting someone for actually doing something stupid repeatedly.

I expect them to think about their recent action and weigh the cost, risk and reward of it, and maybe think about if it was worth the risk in the first place.

I will not stand AFK for one minute to explain them in detail and adding niceties to spare their feelings. I will simply be throwing a game myself at this point.

But I expect them to THINK. With their brains that they supposedly should have as a vertebrae.

I know it’s a bad play.
Obviously the person who made it - didn’t know it, because they went through with it.
Yes, I feel that I need to point it out.

And stand a minute AFK during a game, and probably at a critical time when you need to fix the crap that your dying teammate already got you into.

Yeah, 99% of time you don’t have time for that. The game doesn’t wait for you to type in chat, you know.

Tell me exactly why the question. ‘y?’ is required to be answered with hostility or narcism where it’s a perfectly fine question in a game about quick reactions and fast communication? Why is it ‘pointing out the obvious’ to you? How do you know this? Are you all knowing? Do you read my mind?

Or. Is it the fact the person gets salty for being pointed out it did a bad play? And that gives it the right to be an bum about it?

I don’t expect jack but common decency and understanding why said person made that play and I lack the time for a full page diplomatic stance for that to appease the person and less so if they respond back in such a manner.

TL:DR: Communication is a two way street and requires both persons to be respectful to each other.

Yes, insults bad, no its not always a insult that requires a hissy fit or tantrum back cause you think it is.

Not the moments I ask why mate.

I ask them when a person does something like drinking heal fountain on 5% and then instantly turn around to be blown up by two.

Outright bad plays that just really puzzle me which I followed with y.

Not bad play in general, like being a overextending dummy or greedy overdiving silly.

Just down right dumb bad plays with zero reasoning beyond “derping”.

Honestly though I got the feeling the US is more sensitive about it then EU
But that’s just personal bias.

Yep, this thread is why I just disable team and voice chat.

If I mess up…then I mess up. To err is human. I guarantee that I will self-criticize without any help (I’m inherently really hard on myself). Ping the map once or twice if you need to; I’ll see it, weigh it, and take action accordingly. Beyond that, I don’t care what any of you have to say about me, my play, anyone else’s play (holy crap flame wars between other players…), or anything else. Stay focused and play.

“Just shut up, will you?! We’ve got a battle to win!” ~Uther

“Shut-up-and-DIE!” ~Tychus

1 Like

If you tell someone they suck you deserve to lose the game. Whether or not you said it because you are tilted or because you think it’s somehow a reasonable way to improve your teammates, you are directly leading to a worse outcome for your team.

The player who receives the non-constructive criticism will, at best, be nonchalant enough about it and let it go, for a status quo. The vast, vast majority of the time it will at the very least increase their animosity toward you and the game, even if only a little.

You are not asking them why; you are pointing out their bad play in a way that you think makes you clever. It’s like when morons skirt the rules of language bans and then complain because someone actually knew what they were talking about; you’re not fooling anyone. You know why it happened, don’t pretend you’re asking because you want to know. You’re asking to be a dick.

You are never, ever going to change someone’s behavior within the course of a game. You are not ever going to do yourself a favor by making someone talk about their own mistake. Say what the right play was in a matter of fact way, leaving specific people out of it, and move on. Even then, the vast majority of the time, you still won’t see a change; leave it alone, because you aren’t going to make it better by repeating yourself or becoming more openly hostile.

People assume they have more control over others than they do. You have no control over others, other than to make them more annoyed at you. In a situation that is already negative, almost anything you do is likely to act as a negative feedback loop and only deepen what is already there. Just don’t do it.

2 Likes

Actually, yes you do. Your feewings are hurt.

You still have no authority over this person, why should they care about what you think they should be doing? Why should you for that matter? If they suck, and you don’t, eventually you guys won’t be matched up again.

Welp, in this real world this can happen. Problem here is that it’s a video game. Where people go to enjoy themselves. If you can’t stand low skill players. Git Gud and rank up, or stop playing the game. You defend yourself by telling others what to do. You lash out at people who don’t listen to you or ignore your “advice”. You put an extreme amount of effort at venting your frustrations. So again, yes, you are getting mad.

The players went from playing poorly, you attempt to umm…I don’t even know what it is you do, they ignore you, you insult them, and then they troll the game. Maybe it was you who hasn’t learned.

Is that a fact? Wonder how I missed this at school.

Well, isn’t it the same with you? You stated many times that you don’t care about anyone’s feelings. Hell, why should they care you raging at their poor plays? They will just troll you just to make your life harder cause you thought that insulting them was the answer.

Sure it is. This is how they get back at YOU. If their best isn’t good enough, you gotta rank up.

It was you who poked the bear, after a gentle pat wasn’t good enough for you. You didn’t let it go. You must let everyone know how pissed you are because the players suck at the game.

I’m not fond of it. It’s pointing that you can’t justify insulting someone and then say, “don’t rage cause you will ruin it for the rest of the team”. Please. It can be 100 players. If you hurt someone they don’t give a damn what anyone thinks. Just. Like. You.

So easily you judge the players to animals. You in Bronze?

Problem here is that it works both ways. Why should they heed your “warnings”? Why should they respect you? If you don’t care about their feelings why should they care about yours?

Fortunately, the world doesn’t revolve around you. Forcing your “wisdom” on people won’t work. You WILL encounter plenty of players who aren’t good at the game. If you really want to teach people, make guides or whisper players after the match and ASK if they need advice in playing the game better. But, hey I haven’t forgotten about your feelings: If they want you to teach them, they will learn, and in turn they will play better and you won’t have to rage! Now isn’t that nice?

How you know they don’t? Cause they messed up again, in the same fashion a few moments later in the same game? You have a short fuse.

Obviously, this is why it’s better to whisper players after the match if you really are concerned for their improvement.

How do you know this? You can read minds?

I was pretty plain why the reply you got was deserved.

You point out a mistake and ask “y?”. What do you hope will happen after this statement?

When someone messes up, asking “y?” is not respectful. It’s accusatory. You couldn’t be bothered to ping the player a warning, or say something like, “don’t go there, they will kill you”… Instead you’re late to the party with “y?”.

3 Likes

I see where this is going so I’m out before full circle hits.

You all do you and feel good about it and I’ll do me what I always do and feel good about it.

Peace

1 Like

They should care because it’s a team game and pings are not given to everybody just to make cool noises on the map.
One head is good, five are better, and all that.

I care because their stupidity is costing me games.
I care because 70% of people actually listen to pings, while another 30 are being stubborn idiots who “know better” and die for it and throw.

Yeah… that’s not how HOTS works.

It doesn’t make a difference.
A person is solely responsible for their own actions. You can’t shift the blame to that guy who ruined your mood so you went and beat up your wife as well.

Thank you, but I would rather keep crapping all over them and ruining their mood if they deign to ruin mine and my teammates’.

I don’t vent frustrations.
I merely like to let idiots know they’re idiots.
And sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. I never once saw it actually making things worse.
Because if they already are eligible to be insulted - they already are single-handedly throwing a game.

Even if that happens - again, they are already throwing enough to matter. And sometimes they do stop being idiots and start to meekly follow the team instead, so it helps somewhat.

Have you never gotten an F?
Have you never been denied entertainment or punished by your parents?
Are you not under a constant threat of being fired if you start slacking at your job?

Punishment is one of the most effective measures of how people learn.

I am insulting them. ONE person.

They are insulting 4 people. It’s not exactly an equal or fair retaliation. So yeah, they are way bigger a-holes than I ever could be. And judging by how arduously you defend the position of trolling a game for someone who slighted you - you’re one of them. Congratulations.

A “bear”? A bear? A person who passively throws a game is a Bear?!

Seems more like a filthy swine to me.

Not players - people who repeatedly make a wrong call and fail, but never learn and go do the same a minute later despite the pings from the entire team - aren’t people. They’re monkeys.
Operating on base instincts and nothing much else.
“Ook! Ook! I see camp, I take! Ook!!!” - that kind of “people”.

Yes? That’s exactly a description of someone who doesn’t think past their base impulses?

No, it’s not better.
For one thing, they will long have forgotten what they did.
Secondly, many people will never read a whisper.
Thirdly, a person who already isn’t inclined to listen to pings and warnings in a game - will never pay attention to any constructive criticism. He’s “above” that.
What will get to him, however, is being repeatedly called trash, because no one wants that. And after a while, they will start avoiding behaviors that lead to that.
They’ll learn.
It’s their fault they can’t learn by listening to teammates, so they will learn the hard way.

I know more about how people think and function than you ever hope to, it seems.

as it should be. I mean, if you mess up - you can’t blame anyone for accusing you of that.

I disagree. I think that Aax has a (rather twisted) ideal of how people roll. Mumrah describes reality – borne out by what we actually observe in games. It’s not rocket science: insult someone and in the best case they will ignore you, in the average case they will clap back, and in the worst case they will seek revenge.

Consider that in all of the given examples of negative reinforcement…

• Have you never gotten an F?
  • Have you never been denied entertainment or punished by your parents?
  • Are you not under a constant threat of being fired if you start slacking at your job?

…the negative reinforcement is applied by someone whom the recipient nominally agrees is in a position of authority. This is a critical point.

Moreover, the word insulting is being used quite openly in the discussion. The definition of insulting is: disrespectful or scornfully abusive. That’s quite different from receiving an ‘F’ in math or being sent to your room for stealing a cookie from the jar.

Finally, stripping the humanity from one’s fellows – over mistakes in a game! – is just completely beyond the pale. It leads to a whole other level of horror which has no place here. It also explains a lot: when you stop seeing other as human, anything goes.

1 Like